Polarizer+ UV = OK ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naresh666

Sep 9, 2002
Ang Mo Kio
www.guminc.com
hi let me elaborate on the title. i have 2 lesnses both have UV lenses on them. i also have a circular polarizer. so izzit ok if i put the polarizer on , then put the UV filter on? as in will there be any counter effects?

naresh666 said:
hi let me elaborate on the title. i have 2 lesnses both have UV lenses on them. i also have a circular polarizer. so izzit ok if i put the polarizer on , then put the UV filter on? as in will there be any counter effects?

I guess you usually will put on the uv first to protect your lenses. As for the polariser, you can put it on and off. I have no problem with both on at the same time.

the two filters will NOT work with each other. either use just a ND filter if u need to have a few stop of LIGHT less (or reducing shutter speed). UV and ND will work NOT on each other too. the polarizer is a "2 stop reducing ND filter".

If you stake 2 or more filters:
i) for wide angle lens, you may face more vignetting problem at widest angle.
ii) the photo quality will degrade more (if you pixel peek).
iii) you will get less light in.

ok ok makes sense.

coz i tot i leave the uv filter on to perm protect the lens. htne as and when i need i put in the polarizer.

guess not.

The Oracle said:
I guess you usually will put on the uv first to protect your lenses. As for the polariser, you can put it on and off. I have no problem with both on at the same time.
No problem as long as no vignetting occur. I also do that. I found it is too troublesome to open UV filter first to put pl-cir. Now I am looking for 77mm cir-pol and some step down rings :think: .

Regards,
Arto.

I keep UV filter on all the time and when I have to I put CP on, without removing the UV filter...Have I being doing it wrong for all these years? :)

mutabor said:
I keep UV filter on all the time and when I have to I put CP on, without removing the UV filter...Have I being doing it wrong for all these years? :)

naresh666 said:
ok ok makes sense.

coz i tot i leave the uv filter on to perm protect the lens. htne as and when i need i put in the polarizer.

guess not.

There is nothing wrong with using a Cir pol over a UV.

Yes yes you may get some vignetting with wide angles. (easily corrected in PS, + the effect is not noticeable unless you're using:
1) FF Body
2) 1.6 crop body with reduced image circle lenses
3) Film)

Yes yes you will degrade image quality a little (not noticeable unless you do side by side comparisons).

But I'd rather do this than fiddle around with my UV filter. FYI I use B+W filters so it doesn't matter.

Of course if you wanna be cheap and use some silly konix or kayu brand filters, I dun guarantee anything. ;p

if u wan to use poloariser, use it without UV. using both may very likey result in vignetting - the extra layers on the lens is too thick already.

ronaldjace said:
the two filters will NOT work with each other. either use just a ND filter if u need to have a few stop of LIGHT less (or reducing shutter speed). UV and ND will work NOT on each other too. the polarizer is a "2 stop reducing ND filter".
jus to share... and to debunk some myths...

yes, ur UV filters can work together with ur Circular polariser and vice versa. y not?
yes, ur UV filters can work together too, with ur ND4, ND8 or NDx. top it all off with a Circular Polariser and they still work.

the only downside as mentioned earlier by dr34mc4st3r is that u might get vignetting.
if u're using poor quality filters, u might get a reduced quality in photographs.

i remove my protective filters when i shoot landscapes and add on my Cokin filters. :thumbsup:

no issue if u use a Nikon slim cir-polII with a L37c.

cannot say the same for other cir-pol with thicker rings though.

btw, cir-pol reduces 2 stops of light meh?
think it's less right?

ronaldjace said:
You can be my ND filter PRO liao :thumbsup: :lovegrin:

Your vast knowledge on filters and using them amazes me to no end... can you be my shi-fu anot? :thumbsup:

espn said:
You can be my ND filter PRO liao :thumbsup: :lovegrin:

Your vast knowledge on filters and using them amazes me to no end... can you be my shi-fu anot? :thumbsup:

he needs Watcher's signature...

+evenstar said:
yes possible to stack both together unless u're on full frame. image degration is negligible unless u're printing posters or using some low grade lens

Myth.

Even on 35mm format (solly, but me newbie don't know what is full frame), it's still possible to stack 2 filters together.

I've used a Nikon L37C 77mm with a Nikon CIR-PLII on a F80 body and it works ok.

markccm said:
no issue if u use a Nikon slim cir-polII with a L37c.

cannot say the same for other cir-pol with thicker rings though.

btw, cir-pol reduces 2 stops of light meh?
think it's less right?
Yes. It is actually reducing between 1.5-2stops, depending on filter brand. Maybe should do the test to make it sure? Or just read the manual come with the polarizer.

Regards,
Arto.

espn said:
Myth.

Even on 35mm format (solly, but me newbie don't know what is full frame), it's still possible to stack 2 filters together.

I've used a Nikon L37C 77mm with a Nikon CIR-PLII on a F80 body and it works ok.
yours is nikon slim filter...not the normal thick thick one...:sticktong

Status
Not open for further replies.