polarising & ND filters, what stuff to look out for

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaLuver

Nov 2, 2008
9gag.com
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I'm going for overseas trip and to prep for it, i'm looking at Polarising and ND Filters

But my only knowledge of them simply is that:-

polar filters will 'erase' unwanted reflections or glares off glass and off surface of water.

neutral density acts like sunglasses, blocking out light coming into the lens, allowing for longer shutters.

But as i read on other photography webby they seems to do more stuffs than that???

Need some pointers on these two filters...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm going for overseas trip and to prep for it, i'm looking at Polarising and ND Filters

But my only knowledge of them simply is that:-

polar filters will 'erase' unwanted reflections or glares off glass and off surface of water.

neutral density acts like sunglasses, blocking out light coming into the lens, allowing for longer shutters.

But as i read on other photography webby they seems to do more stuffs than that???

Need some pointers on these two filters...

Thanks.
I think you have got most of it already.
In addition, the polariser can make your sky a deeper blue, especially the part of the sky that is 90 degree from the direction of the sunlight. And as it takes out the glare, the green of the trees and grasses are more vivid. Buy a CPL for your DSLR.
The ND filters I find them great for sunrise, sunset, places where there are harsh sunlight (high altitude with no clouds, snowy landscapes etc) so that you prolong your shutter speed without over-exposing the bright areas. Can buy an ND4 (reduces exposure by 2 stops). Very good to use already. ND8 reduces exposure by 3 stops (or even ND400 reduces exp by 9 stops) if you really really want to block out lots of light.
I hope that helps a little.

hoo'ah.. thanks for the help bro. but another thing which pop'ed up on my mind after posting... does the polariser clears out 100% of the glare regardless of the condition or there'll be 'escapee' depending on the lighting?

and do we see the effect thru the viewfinder?

thanks

hoo'ah.. thanks for the help bro. but another thing which pop'ed up on my mind after posting... does the polariser clears out 100% of the glare regardless of the condition or there'll be 'escapee' depending on the lighting?

thanks

Yeps, you can see the effect through the viewfinder ;)

But they don't work ALL the time, so yea, maybe 80%? But not 100% i'm afraid :sweat:

Be careful when using CPL on wide angle lenses as it will make the sky look "uneven" due to part of the sky being polarized and the other part not.

And yup you can see the effect via your view finder when turning the polarizer.

thanks
You are welcome.
Certainly does not clear all the glare. Check it out on your VF as you rotate the CPL. What you see is what you get. The reduction of the reflected light (glare) is best appreciated if you are at an angle with the surface of the water or the glass pane.
Through the VF, you can also see the deep blue sky developing as you rotate.
Only problem with CPL that I personally find troublesome is, when the lens hood is on, it is simply difficult to rotate it. But it's ok. For all the trouble, one gets a better picture.

haha.. 80%... good enough. gotta burn SGD179 le (one month plus of pay from part time job)... checking out price in JB

You are welcome.
Certainly does not clear all the glare. Check it out on your VF as you rotate the CPL. What you see is what you get. The reduction of the reflected light (glare) is best appreciated if you are at an angle with the surface of the water or the glass pane.
Through the VF, you can also see the deep blue sky developing as you rotate.
Only problem with CPL that I personally find troublesome is, when the lens hood is on, it is simply difficult to rotate it. But it's ok. For all the trouble, one gets a better picture.

ahhh... rotating the polariser... another rotating thing before pressing the button...

yea.. i definately agrees with 'trouble for better pictures'

ehh, Hoya 77mm multicoated is about 110ish? Not very sure. Uncoated should be less than half that price.

ehh, Hoya 77mm multicoated is about 110ish? Not very sure. Uncoated should be less than half that price.

+-110.. can consider... but on sony's web they mentioned 'carl zeiss T*' coating. will that justify it's price?

pardon me for my noobness. not a pro shooter, just travel shooters

+-110.. can consider... but on sony's web they mentioned 'carl zeiss T*' coating. will that justify it's price?

pardon me for my noobness. not a pro shooter, just travel shooters

Aiyo .. isn't that obvious that Sony / CZ wants to keep the customers buying stuffs with orange logo? There are brands of filters with the same long history as Carl Zeiss. Check Hoya and Tokina, both for reasonable prices and quality. Get 77mm and some step up rings, so you can use the filter for all lenses.

Aiyo .. isn't that obvious that Sony / CZ wants to keep the customers buying stuffs with orange logo? There are brands of filters with the same long history as Carl Zeiss. Check Hoya and Tokina, both for reasonable prices and quality. Get 77mm and some step up rings, so you can use the filter for all lenses.

haha.. yea. considered getting other brands too. but as im still new to penisular plaza i decided to get direct from Sony to save the trouble combing for trustworthy shops.

I got my A350 from cathay photos. saw their shop there (at PP) too. how's their pricing? reasonable kind?

Yes, I agree with Octarine.

haha.. yea. considered getting other brands too. but as im still new to penisular plaza i decided to get direct from Sony to save the trouble combing for trustworthy shops.

I got my A350 from cathay photos. saw their shop there (at PP) too. how's their pricing? reasonable kind?
For a start, you really don't need to spend too much good money on the CPL. The prices of Hoya and Tokina are very competitive. Check around the few shops in Peninsula Plaza and Peninsula Shopping Centre. Around $100 can get a reasonably good one already.

hold on. new stuff mentioned here.. step up rings. How will this stuff cost me?

by the way im not planning on getting lenses any more. NS date coming.

Are there 55mm hoya filters out there?

Yeah most filters come in all sizes.

Step up rings are about 10-15 at stalls, if u buy from mass order forum can be as cheap as 8 bucks. Most professional grade lens will be at 77mm so step up all you're non 77 lens to 77, can share filters with all lens u have. (unless u go buy 84mm ...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_filter

Wah. Never thought of a step up ring before. So if I buy a 72mm ND, with the step up ring, I can use it on 58mm lens also?

And.. with ND, let's say ND4, blocks 25% of the light. Is it a fix measurement? We cannot turn it say to 20%?

Wah. Never thought of a step up ring before. So if I buy a 72mm ND, with the step up ring, I can use it on 58mm lens also?

And.. with ND, let's say ND4, blocks 25% of the light. Is it a fix measurement? We cannot turn it say to 20%?

ND filter from what i know doesn't allows you to adjust the amount of light. it's just simple sunglass.

Status
Not open for further replies.