Poison me...... tell me why I would love a LX3 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pictures were taken handheld. LX3 is a good PNS camera for night shots too.

Handheld without tripod
4206632038_d06de5c5ae.jpg

4227662053_a8438de932.jpg

4228430578_e63214186e.jpg

My GF took this shot in "AUTO" mode. Nice?
4217455203_860bbed420.jpg

Portrait shots:
http://www.laurencekimblog.com/index.php?link=110&cat=16

Nature shots:
http://www.laurencekimblog.com/index.php?link=117&cat=16

for landscapes, nature and fine art, a good point-n-shoot like the LX3 could be the best tool for the job, sometimes even better than a DSLR or a $40k medium-format DSLR.

Why?

-Would you rather schlepp around 20 pounds of gear (camera, lenses, tripod, ballhead, etc.) or a 9 ounce camera that you put in a pouch on your belt?
-No need to change lenses. Really handy for a day like yesterday, when I was taking pictures on a rainy day on a muddy trail.
-The combination of built-in image stabilization + greater depth of field you get with a small sensor means that a tripod is not required. No tripod means more creativity, as you can get yourself in more positions and are less likely to remained anchored in a few spots.
-Greater depth of field means no need to stop down to tiny apertures like f16 which soften images due to diffraction.
-Shooting with bigger apertures also means faster shutter speeds, which = sharper images.
Fixed lens means no dust spots on the sensor.
-No mirror slap means the camera doesn't vibrate = sharper pictures, even if you're using use mirror lockup.
-Overall image quality will be just as good as a DSLR (if not better) because of all the reasons listed above.

DUMP your macro lens!
http://laurencekimblog.com/index.php?link=120

'NUFF SAID!

it's so poisonous think i'm buying one tomorrow arrrghh

Last edited:
for landscapes, nature and fine art, a good point-n-shoot like the LX3 could be the best tool for the job, sometimes even better than a DSLR or a $40k medium-format DSLR.

Why?

-Overall image quality will be just as good as a DSLR (if not better) because of all the reasons listed above.

This is a rubbish statement!

LX3 is good PnS performer but mislead ppl with this kinda statement without any proof

This is a rubbish statement!

LX3 is good PnS performer but mislead ppl with this kinda statement without any proof

read the blog first so you'd understand what he meant, just quoted it from the link i provided and didn't he mention overall image quality basing from the reasons he listed? and btw the blogger is a professional photographer who owns a canon 5D

read the blog first so you'd understand what he meant, just quoted it from the link i provided and didn't he mention overall image quality basing from the reasons he listed? and btw the blogger is a professional photographer who owns a canon 5D

Yes I have read it.

I am referring to your statement.

Please read what you have written and compare to what his blog said.

Yes I have read it.

I am referring to your statement.

Please read what you have written and compare to what his blog said.

what statement? you mean this?:
"'NUFF SAID!

it's so poisonous think i'm buying one tomorrow arrrghh"

that's the only statement i made..the others i quoted from his blog, think you didn't read the blog..those reasons are quoted from his blog:
http://www.laurencekimblog.com/index.php?link=117&cat=16

ah ok maybe you're referring to this one:

in fact, for certain subjects such as landscapes..

i accidentally ommitted the words "in fact, for certain subjects such as"

didn't know that would make such impact to you..just copied paste starting from "landscape", then decided to put the "for" word later on the sentence during posting but really? did i really made it different?

Last edited:
Lol, chill chill, it's small matter guys :D

But the blog had posion me enough to buy once i receive my Ang Bao :D

The pictures were taken handheld. LX3 is a good PNS camera for night shots too.

Handheld without tripod
4206632038_d06de5c5ae.jpg

I like this one! Also illustrates the LX3's strengths when heading to places where you can't pack a large camera. Was this at the actual day or preview? Also, what ISO? I really gotta try shooting night exposures with the LX3. :)

As for the other statements, let's not read too much into absolutes :) I come from the land of full frame digital as well, and I respectfully disagree that the LX3's image quality is identical - it is not. That however, does not take away from the fact that it is a superb camera in its own right, which is why I have one today....complementing, not replacing, the SLRs. :)

I like this one! Also illustrates the LX3's strengths when heading to places where you can't pack a large camera. Was this at the actual day or preview? Also, what ISO? I really gotta try shooting night exposures with the LX3. :)

As for the other statements, let's not read too much into absolutes :) I come from the land of full frame digital as well, and I respectfully disagree that the LX3's image quality is identical - it is not. That however, does not take away from the fact that it is a superb camera in its own right, which is why I have one today....complementing, not replacing, the SLRs. :)

Actual day. ISO 400

Sadly there are still ppl who lack of knowledge and blindly believe that LX3 can produce IQ better than FF and MF :bsmilie:

When I was young, I mean long ago.... I asked my professional camera friend for the best buy. This is what he said to me and I have kept it in my mind since. Before the printout (BTW, was only b&w), the paper is white. The picture comes from the man behind the camera. The truth still holds today. I dare say there are many pictures taken by good man behind the camera with a what we term as "low end camera". I think this is the crust of the matter. The man plays a big factor. I will second that LX3 is one of the best camera, again meaurement of best is relative to the term that I have in mind.

Sadly there are still ppl who lack of knowledge and blindly believe that LX3 can produce IQ better than FF and MF :bsmilie:

hey dude, if you actually read thru the blogger's intention, he is not saying lx3 TECHNICAL image quality is better than dslr, didn't he mention OVERALL image quality? of course dslr TECHNICALLY better, larger sensor, better dynamic range, better high ISO performance but obviously the blogger sees that at certain situations, because of lx3's compactness, large aperture (ironically coupled with small sensor which results to large DOF even at small F, no need to set to high F for macro which limits diffraction, less tripod usage), inbuilt IS, faster synch speed, etc..one would be able to get the shot he wanted easier or faster or more conveniently which can result to better OVERALL image quality..he is pointing out the advantages of the lx3 over a dslr.. I have a dslr, i won't replace it with an lx3, lx3 can not duplicate what my f2.8 tele zoom can do, lx3 cannot do subject isolation at far perspectives but it's a pain for me changing lens to wide angle when at times i need to do group shots, occasional landscape etc., then what better alternative than to buy an lx3 to complement my zoom? Im not a pro, i don't do photography for a living, i don't do large prints..so what now?i just copied pasted the blogger's notes, never did i insinuate lx3 has better IQ nor the blogger did..

Last edited:
hey dude, if you actually read thru the blogger's intention, he is not saying lx3 TECHNICAL image quality is better than dslr, didn't he mention OVERALL image quality? of course dslr TECHNICALLY better, larger sensor, better dynamic range, better high ISO performance but obviously the blogger sees that at certain situations, because of lx3's compactness, large aperture (ironically coupled with small sensor which results to large DOF even at small F, no need to set to high F for macro which limits diffraction, less tripod usage), inbuilt IS, faster synch speed, etc..one would be able to get the shot he wanted easier or faster or more conveniently which can result to better OVERALL image quality..he is pointing out the advantages of the lx3 over a dslr.. I have a dslr, i won't replace it with an lx3, lx3 can not duplicate what my f2.8 tele zoom can do, lx3 cannot do subject isolation at far perspectives but it's a pain for me changing lens to wide angle when at times i need to do group shots, occasional landscape etc., then what better alternative than to buy an lx3 to complement my zoom? Im not a pro, i don't do photography for a living, i don't do large prints..so what now?i just copied pasted the blogger's notes, never did i insinuate lx3 has better IQ nor the blogger did..

People can get really critical and headstrong, but of course it's a 2nd nature to some. Let it go buddy... You know people only listen to themselves! ;)

There will alway be better cams along the way, the crux lies in how one utilize the tool.

The creative photographer is one who can work with limitation :)

Here a few more to poison u... Macro with Raynox Msn 202..

Remeber this few photos got no stacking done!!

4054914129_289e4d087e_o.jpg

4046696166_5b551e6a29_o.jpg

4008655094_bbf3685aa3_o.jpg

3852834743_78a86cb25c_b.jpg

For the MSN 202, what kind of flash setup do u use?

Dude, you want to copy someone blog? (copyright?) Get it right. Dont mislead

Read again slowly your first post.

Rest my case

Status
Not open for further replies.