Points to Ponder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Was talking to Ong Hock Lai, the photographer who held an exhibition at Substation called "Footprints in China". Few of the points he brought up, which I remembered. Here they are, with some paraphrasing and translation.

1. Go out and take photos. Don't go out to shoot "Great Photos". If you go out with the intention to shoot "great photos", you normally fail.

2. Learn from the masters (e.g. the Magnum photographers). Look at their pictures and learn to see why the work and why they are good.

3. Too many people (esp. novices) approach street photography with a telephoto lens, as they are worried that their subjects will react badly to their photography. But by doing so, you lose the "feeling" and the intimacy of the shot as well as the subject's environment. You also distance yourself from the subject - and when you're not close enough, your pictures won't be good enough, to paraphrase Capa.

4. Don't worry too much when you shoot. If you have too much worries - e.g. will the subject like it, will the subject attack me, etc, you will never get a good picture.

Probably more, but I can't remember already.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by markccm
With regards to point 3, can I safely assume dat he does not recommend zoom lenses, but rather prime lenses?
What he meant is not to use long telephotos or long zooms to capture the subject, but to use a wide to mid lens (zoom or otherwise) and go close to the subject.

Regards
CK

jasonpgc

Jan 20, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Point 1) Very true, I always take months to finish my ideal roll. It become more of suffering than enjoyment.

Point 2) Usually they also tell you to bring heavy tripod and camp outdoor overnight to get the best morning light :devil:

Point 3) I shoot with 28mm, but I'm a landscaper :p

Point 4) Don't agree, I really wonder how many times he got beaten up because of this :devil:

longman

Dec 12, 2002
South
Visit site
:thumbsup:
That why I'm always use 50mm, is very normal eye view angle....
So very challenge to take good photo too....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom