Point Ur Lens Into THE SUN, is it alright?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberkid

Apr 2, 2005
Is it alright to point our lens into the direct sunlight to shoot the sun image?
Will tht harm my lens and camera sensor:embrass: ??

AFAIK, lens no prob, sensor may be damaged if it's a prolonged exposure, or u do it too often ... Not sure how often is considered too often though :dunno:

pointing a lens at the sun is no prob. Just dont look thru it too often or take prolonged exposures often.

DO NOT look through the viewfinder if taking photos of the sun.

Also, without a ND filter it is unlikely that you will be able to reduce the exposure sufficently to get an acurate exposure without glare.

cyberkid said:
Is it alright to point our lens into the direct sunlight to shoot the sun image?
Answer is NO to the first question! The bare sun has a lot of invisible infrared radiation which can burn your focusing screen and your eye (you only have 2 and they are not replaceable) if you're not careful, especially if you use a tele lens, the IR will be concentrated. If you need to shoot the sun, get a proper sun filters from an astronomy shop (not just any ND filter as they may not adequately block out the IR bands).

Why not? I do that all the time, with len cap on.

Ahhh, that explains it, and I just thought the images were underexposed...:sticktong

cyber_m0nkey said:
Ahhh, that explains it, and I just thought the images were underexposed...:sticktong
So next time remove your len cap before shooting. Don't forget.

cyber_m0nkey said:
DO NOT look through the viewfinder if taking photos of the sun.

Also, without a ND filter it is unlikely that you will be able to reduce the exposure sufficently to get an acurate exposure without glare.

Izit okie with sunglasses on?:dunno:

wildstallion said:
:bigeyes:

NO! :bsmilie:

Try looking at the sun with sunglasses on, its just as bad! (on second thoughts dont try!)
Then wats the proper way to do it? Thats to get a silhouette etc?
Thanks, appreciate any tips.

cyberkid said:

Why shoot a photo of the sun? You may just get a white dot in the photo.

chainsmoker said:
Then wats the proper way to do it? Thats to get a silhouette etc?
Thanks, appreciate any tips.

for a silluette the person doesnt have to be directly infront of the sun, just meter on the bright background behind the person and the darker foreground should be underexposed, thus creating a silluette effect.

And the only proper way to look at the sun is with those special filters.

wildstallion said:
for a silluette the person doesnt have to be directly infront of the sun, just meter on the bright background behind the person and the darker foreground should be underexposed, thus creating a silluette effect.

And the only proper way to look at the sun is with those special filters.
Thank you, for sharing the knowledge. Btw nice avatar.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.