Point Ur Lens Into THE SUN, is it alright?


Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberkid

New Member
Apr 2, 2005
132
0
0
#1
Is it alright to point our lens into the direct sunlight to shoot the sun image?
Will tht harm my lens and camera sensor:embrass: ??
 

wiz23

Senior Member
Jun 20, 2005
2,940
0
0
Bukit Panjang
www.pbase.com
#2
AFAIK, lens no prob, sensor may be damaged if it's a prolonged exposure, or u do it too often ... Not sure how often is considered too often though :dunno:
 

sk.images

New Member
Dec 9, 2005
1,244
0
0
www.pbase.com
#6
DO NOT look through the viewfinder if taking photos of the sun.

Also, without a ND filter it is unlikely that you will be able to reduce the exposure sufficently to get an acurate exposure without glare.
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
0
#7
cyberkid said:
Is it alright to point our lens into the direct sunlight to shoot the sun image?
Will tht harm my lens and camera sensor:embrass: ??
Answer is NO to the first question! The bare sun has a lot of invisible infrared radiation which can burn your focusing screen and your eye (you only have 2 and they are not replaceable) if you're not careful, especially if you use a tele lens, the IR will be concentrated. If you need to shoot the sun, get a proper sun filters from an astronomy shop (not just any ND filter as they may not adequately block out the IR bands).
 

sk.images

New Member
Dec 9, 2005
1,244
0
0
www.pbase.com
#9
Ahhh, that explains it, and I just thought the images were underexposed...:sticktong
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#10
cyber_m0nkey said:
Ahhh, that explains it, and I just thought the images were underexposed...:sticktong
So next time remove your len cap before shooting. Don't forget.
 

Aug 7, 2005
451
0
0
GagalandCloud9
#14
cyber_m0nkey said:
DO NOT look through the viewfinder if taking photos of the sun.

Also, without a ND filter it is unlikely that you will be able to reduce the exposure sufficently to get an acurate exposure without glare.
Izit okie with sunglasses on?:dunno:
 

Aug 7, 2005
451
0
0
GagalandCloud9
#16
wildstallion said:
:bigeyes:

NO! :bsmilie:

Try looking at the sun with sunglasses on, its just as bad! (on second thoughts dont try!)
Then wats the proper way to do it? Thats to get a silhouette etc?
Thanks, appreciate any tips.
 

billpepsi

New Member
Jan 2, 2005
1,269
0
0
The 3rd Rock
#17
cyberkid said:
Is it alright to point our lens into the direct sunlight to shoot the sun image?
Will tht harm my lens and camera sensor:embrass: ??
Why shoot a photo of the sun? You may just get a white dot in the photo.
 

#18
chainsmoker said:
Then wats the proper way to do it? Thats to get a silhouette etc?
Thanks, appreciate any tips.
for a silluette the person doesnt have to be directly infront of the sun, just meter on the bright background behind the person and the darker foreground should be underexposed, thus creating a silluette effect.

And the only proper way to look at the sun is with those special filters.
 

Aug 7, 2005
451
0
0
GagalandCloud9
#19
wildstallion said:
for a silluette the person doesnt have to be directly infront of the sun, just meter on the bright background behind the person and the darker foreground should be underexposed, thus creating a silluette effect.

And the only proper way to look at the sun is with those special filters.
Thank you, for sharing the knowledge. Btw nice avatar.:thumbsup:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom