point of view on a crop factor

What is a Crop Factor

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrifeYun

Nov 15, 2006
Rivervale Drive
Correct me if i'm wrong, the crop factor is actually how wide the angle of view is right ? and is not actually a "zoom" factor.

So y do ppl keep saying things like, a 50mm on a 1.6 crop factor is actually a 80mm lens, when in actual fact, what u see is not 80mm !??!

The shop people always says that mis leading loads of people. I am once one of them untill I found out the truth in CS :sticktong

crop factor is

if you take a picture using a 50mm lens on a film SLR and then make a print of the full negative.
then you cut off the four sides.

the resulting cropped image is your crop factor

crop factor is

if you take a picture using a 50mm lens on a film SLR and then make a print of the full negative.
then you cut off the four sides.

the resulting cropped image is your crop factor

:think: thanks guys that what i thought too :p

i think alot of ppl have been mislead hee :sweat:

Correct me if i'm wrong, the crop factor is actually how wide the angle of view is right ? and is not actually a "zoom" factor.

So y do ppl keep saying things like, a 50mm on a 1.6 crop factor is actually a 80mm lens, when in actual fact, what u see is not 80mm !??!

..... actually what you see is actually 80mm... why not?

If you don't move your butt, what you see is what you see already. Doesn't matter what lens you use. how much you can capture depends on your lens.

a 50mm on a 1.6 crop is equivalent to a 80mm on full frame. If you want to include DOF, then a 50mm f2 (1.6 crop) is identical to 80mm f3.2 on full frame.

I think the shop uncle is right but many people here are misled by CS :)

Status
Not open for further replies.