PnS like SLR camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

eshban

Nov 13, 2007
Hi all,

I am not a professional photographer, I've read many things about SLR, it is no doubt a good one. But I can't buy that one and need to buy a Point and Shoot camera that is like SLR. So I got following two cameras:

1) Cannon PowerShot S5 IS (Please click on Specifications):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120207

2) Sony DSC-H7/B (Please click on Specifications):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830179121#spec

Please guide me which one is better? I guess the "PowerShot S5 IS" is better, what you think ?

One more thing please, is there any PNS camera like-SLR available in less budget? about (275$ - 300$) ?

thanks in advance,

Eshban

What you are looking for is what's also called a "prosumer". I suggest trying some searches.

Exactly what are your shooting needs? Why the "something like an SLR" need? What will you be shooting?

That being said, The S5 is a *bit* better than the H7, but the H9 is much more capable.

But why do you need a "point and shoot that is like SLR"? Exactly what are your needs?

If you're ok with second-hand stuff, there are excellent DSLR sets going for 600-700 in the buy-and-sell, like the many Sony A100 sets there.

And the only "PNS-like-SLR" ever made would have to be the Sony R1... What you are looking for is the other way around, an SLR-like PNS.

275 - 300? 0.o o.0 o.0

too low, budget too low unless you are talking about other currency

275 - 300? 0.o o.0 o.0

too low, budget too low unless you are talking about other currency

For that, he miiiiiiiiiiiiiiight be able to get an old Sony H1 or Canon S1/S2.

Thank you all of you especially "Rashkae".

Sir, the point is, "I love photography" and besides that you will laugh at me because my budget is too low. that's why I headed towards the "Point and Shoot" cameras. In start I will just learn about photography then I will buy other good DSLR camera (till then I think I will be in good budget).

So, kindly suggest me any PnS camera that will be good for a beginner, I want photos in good colors and quality. Is there any PnS camera having some features of a SLR camera? in this budget ($275-$300) ?

please tell me the complete camera model, as i have no experience in it.

thanks for your replies,

Waqas

So, kindly suggest me any PnS camera that will be good for a beginner, I want photos in good colors and quality. Is there any PnS camera having some features of a SLR camera? in this budget ($275-$300) ?

Hey Waqas, nobody's laughing at you... We just want you to be aware of the limitations imposed by your budget.

You're not going to find a prosumer PnS (A PNS with DSLR-like control) for that budget unless you get an old second-hand one like a Sony H1 or a Canon S1/S2. But then the picture quality might not be acceptable.

Before I can suggest PNS models for your budget, do you want a brand new camera, or second hand?

PnS like DSLR = Ricoh Caplio GX100

PnS like DSLR = Ricoh Caplio GX100

Nah. That's more like a regular PNS. It's not a prosumer. And it's way out of his budget too.

Hi all,

I am not a professional photographer, I've read many things about SLR, it is no doubt a good one. But I can't buy that one and need to buy a Point and Shoot camera that is like SLR. So I got following two cameras:

1) Cannon PowerShot S5 IS (Please click on Specifications):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120207

2) Sony DSC-H7/B (Please click on Specifications):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830179121#spec

Please guide me which one is better? I guess the "PowerShot S5 IS" is better, what you think ?

One more thing please, is there any PNS camera like-SLR available in less budget? about (275$ - 300$) ?

thanks in advance,

Eshban

"PnS-like" SLR --> D40.
PnS "like SLR" --> doesn't exist.

Dear Rashkae,

thanks for your kind behavior, I agree what you are trying to say. And here I want to tell you that, I've never experienced a 2nd hand device so I am just afraid, "What if it will be out of order after 3 Months or so?"

and 2nd point is, "I want this camera to be shipped in UK, London". So this deal will cost me 17% extra Tax as well. I will have to manage these things as well, Now I am totally confused what to do?

I am very thankful to you people for your moral support.

Waqas

Thank you all of you especially "Rashkae".

Sir, the point is, "I love photography" and besides that you will laugh at me because my budget is too low. that's why I headed towards the "Point and Shoot" cameras. In start I will just learn about photography then I will buy other good DSLR camera (till then I think I will be in good budget).

please tell me the complete camera model, as i have no experience in it.

thanks for your replies,

Waqas

hi waqas, i am not laughing at you
sorry if i had put it in a blunt manner
but i am just being realistic, and when one is realistic, one will realise that he will not be able to obtain anything in the prosumer (please see my stickied thread on what this is) range, which is what i thought you wanted to get.

in any case, you can try second hand canon powershots. they offer MANUAL control, which is effectively one of the key points of a slr-type camera. but as to the exact model, i guess you have to check out dpreview or imaging resource (google these sites) to see how good the individual models are, or whether they do have manual control in the first place.

Dear Rashkae,

thanks for your kind behavior, I agree what you are trying to say. And here I want to tell you that, I've never experienced a 2nd hand device so I am just afraid, "What if it will be out of order after 3 Months or so?"

and 2nd point is, "I want this camera to be shipped in UK, London". So this deal will cost me 17% extra Tax as well. I will have to manage these things as well, Now I am totally confused what to do?

I am very thankful to you people for your moral support.

Waqas

Well, there are many cameras out there that still have warranty. For cameras in the UK, you will NOT pay tax on second-hand devices.

If you are in the UK, I suggest just buying via ebay UK.

Thank you night86mare,

I never thought it in bad way. Can you please give me the url LINK of that thread so that I would be able to read some important stuff?

thanks anyways,

Waqas

actually, you are in the uk?

have you checked out jessops/calumet/argos? they do have some pretty decent offers on pretty decent cameras sometimes

your budget is about 100 pounds converted, i was checking out the pricing from those 3 shops online the other day, i think it's not un-doable for getting a 5/6 mgp camera with manual control function (i.e. can adjust shutter/aperture separately and at the same time)

Thank you night86mare,

I never thought it in bad way. Can you please give me the url LINK of that thread so that I would be able to read some important stuff?

thanks anyways,

Waqas

no problem

link

if you are looking at ultrazoom, incidentally i know the fuji 5700 is going around 140-160 pounds? but there is no manual control on this model, if i'm not wrong.

Thanks for all this information,

That's good if there's no Tax on Used Devices. And if I will find something in Warranty then it will be good for me.

By the way, if i will not have to pay the taxes my budget is 130 - 150 Pounds.

So, what you people suggest ? Which camera will be suitable for me in this situation?

thanks,

Waqas

s5700 does has manual control whereby we can change aperture & shutter, and also WB, metering etc.

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/fuji-s700/s700-gen.php

ah, i know, but i was talking about full manual control, i think someone told me before don't have that one.. meaning can vary av and tv simultaneously, thereby allowing maximum control.

Status
Not open for further replies.