Pns for Marco and picture quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

snapbuger

Dec 4, 2008
Hello :) Requesting a bit of help here with marco shots mainly.

1) I'm using a sony cybershot dsc-p10 and it took me 2 weeks to finally figure out how to take macro shots with it. My problem is that while the image looks nice and sharp on my camera's small display it gets "zoomed up" and "blurry" when I open it on the PC.
Is this beacuse of the way I transfered the file via direct usb of is the "zoomed up" version the actual quality of the picture I took?

2)Whats a good PnS camera in the market right now thats good for a beginner to get for macro shots?

Thanks!!

P10 is an old cam, used to get it for someone. Hard to diagnose what you mean without seeing the picture. It could be that
1. You zoomed till it becomes digital zoom
2. OOF, out of focus (too close, etc)

Post a pic to show

Nothing to do with transferring. Good P&S cam? In my opinion, any P&S is good, though most are getting Fuji series these days due to its low cost, high ISO capability, etc. Canon ones are good too, if you want mediocre ones with non medi prices get Lumix, Casio, etc.

I have a PnS Sony T10. A old 8MP cam but I kept if for the great marco capability. However sometimes I get what you got too. Looking nice on the LCD of the cam and only to realized its blur on the PC's monitor.

Its definitely nt the way of transfer la. If transfer of files would get pic to blur than alot of pple here would start sweating XD

Basics of taking a pic still play a big part be it DSLR or PnS (how you hold your cam, how you position yourself etc.) Lastly, its the lovely LCD on the PnS the resolution is so 'nice' that you won't see it being blur. But really..a 8MB pic zoom to 100%...do you need such a big and high resolution pic? if not, just zoom out and use a smaller version thus the bluring not so oblivious.

my humble views.

Cheers.

Thankyou for the advice :) Here is a picture I took. Taken without any zoom I just brought the camera as close as I could and was using center AF. Just that when I open the picture on my computer the image is acceptable but when I crop it I got what you see now. Im think its because I don't know how to process my pictures or its suppose to look like that on PC? Sorry for all the questions Im a total beginner at this.

test3.jpg

It seems to me that it is either out of focus, or, the lens of P10 is bad.

look like it's out of focus to me. That's the problem with PnS, manual focusing is not really possible. Did you have to zoom in when taking this picture?

Might not want to zoom in too much. If you do, maybe get a tripod or rest on something to avoid handshake. Another is maybe improve the ambient light.

P10 is an old cam, used to get it for someone. Hard to diagnose what you mean without seeing the picture. It could be that
1. You zoomed till it becomes digital zoom
2. OOF, out of focus (too close, etc)

Post a pic to show

Nothing to do with transferring. Good P&S cam? In my opinion, any P&S is good, though most are getting Fuji series these days due to its low cost, high ISO capability, etc. Canon ones are good too, if you want mediocre ones with non medi prices get Lumix, Casio, etc.

Lumix is not necessarily mediocre. Neither is Canon / Fuji really good. My take is most PNS brands don't differ exceptionally much, and most PNS users won't be able to tell the difference anyway. I wouldn't stand for Canon's PNS even though I use Canon's dSLRs.

I was a previous user of an FZ18, to date, I keep in touch with most FZ18 users, and they have posted many exceptional pictures, even very good close-ups. Of course we can't expect dSLR quality, but it certainly delivers what its price point will.

If you shot the shirmp thru a glass/surface, then it should be the glass/surface caused some bluring/diffraction.

Edit: i think you shot it from the surface, since i can see the relection of the overhead lamps.
So i guess it's the surface tha is causing the bluring.

Last edited:
Thankyou all for the advice. I will keep working on it

Dig out my old T10 and took a super macro shot with it. Turns out ok. I think its due to the glass surface and also a bit of camera shake (which is nt noticeable on the LCD due to resolution)

DSC00946.jpg

My heartfelt tnaks to all for the advice once again. After reading thru I took a coin as demonstrated above and tried again.

3086223052_fb6739a668.jpg

This is about the best I manage to do so far using CAF,1.3 zoom out of my 3.using a mini tripod at a distance of about 6-8cm and at ISO 100. This is at "max" zoom for the camera already.Anymore my AF can't seem to able to focus, lcd all blurry. So think dad's old p10 still has its bite??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.