PnS Camera for good night shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky12345

May 17, 2008
Any recommendation for this?
I have not been looking at PnS camera for many years. Suddenly my sister want me to help her find a PnS camera for night shoot.

So abit lost and duno where to start looking.

Budget is less then $800
size is not really an issue.
Brand wise also no issue.

If can accompany by some pic u taken wld be best.
But i can just search myself from flirck if u can just provide the model and brand of the recommended camera

Thanks for any advice

agree with tunster.
For any shot with low available light and no flash, a tripod is a must. There's no magic formula to achieve a sharp night shot without holding the camera absolutely steady during the exposure. Unless maybe you have ISO 30000 as an option ;)

tripod is the MAGIC to taking good night shots.... just as simple as that...
with long exposure for night , i have yet to see steady hands that can deliver decent shots

Any recommendation for this?
I have not been looking at PnS camera for many years. Suddenly my sister want me to help her find a PnS camera for night shoot.

Did u ask her wat's her definition of "night shoot"?

I'm guessing just some simple shots with the scenary, indoors etc.. I doubt she would want to lug a tripod around..

I'm guessing just some simple shots with the scenary, indoors etc.. I doubt she would want to lug a tripod around..

But what most fail to understand is that this is still the whole idea behind night shots. It's not so much how good your camera is with noise handling.

I doubt any pns cams have good noise control, since the sensor the use is that small.
The ironic thing is most manufacturers are keen to advertise the high iso shooting capabilities in their camera, like ISO6400? No one ever told the consumers that the pics will be full of noise?

Hmm if bringing a tripod is not desired, then gorillapod? Some tripods for pns are really small. Want to reconsider?
If not, then I guess it's all down to flash. Then again, flash from a pns generally tend to be very harsh. Well that can't be helped.

Well you can't get the best of both worlds all the time yup! If you intend to get a PnS then you will have to be prepared for more noise etc. But I do understand your sentiments getting a camera that can take good night shots was the distinguishing factor in getting a PnS before.. You can ask the more popular shops for their recommendations and take night shots yourself (I did this once at MS Colour) and compare how the different night shots turn out, in the end i don't mind bumping up the ISO and get more noise but still be able to capture the moment that may not come to pass again.

Just my 2cents worth! =] Hope you can get your Right Camera! (Mr Right!)

Thank you guys so much for all the suggestion
i will seriously look through all the models being suggested.
I do know that having a tripod is a must for a decent night shot and i will let her understand the theory or at least the meaning behing this
The main concern is cos of the noise issue with low light condition
Mayb out there got a PnS that can handle noise quite well in low light condition
just that i didnt know
so gotta ask all bros n sis here to find out.

F100FD is 1 of the cam that i noe some ppl recommend. But i seen somewhere that F50FD is not that good compared to its predecessor
Duno how true. But i will let my eye convinced me only Hehe

The Sony W300 night shots looks good, but i tink (not sure tho) that the user might be shooting at a lower ISO but a lower aperture or slower shutter speed.
Hence my concern for my sis is that she might not be that hardworking (worse come to worse tell her get gorillapod or lookalike) to bring tripod everytime
So i would consider more that have better noise control at iso minimum 800 to (Hopefully) higher iso.

But good suggestion also.
Will let her know also. Any more suggestion? ^_^
every suggestion is seriously considered~

The Sony W300 night shots looks good, but i tink (not sure tho) that the user might be shooting at a lower ISO but a lower aperture or slower shutter speed.
Hence my concern for my sis is that she might not be that hardworking (worse come to worse tell her get gorillapod or lookalike) to bring tripod everytime
So i would consider more that have better noise control at iso minimum 800 to (Hopefully) higher iso.

Yes, I used slow shutter speed. But if yu;re looking for a compact cam that can give clean images at ISO 800 and higher, you're already looking in DSLR territory.

Thank you guys so much for all the suggestion
i will seriously look through all the models being suggested.
I do know that having a tripod is a must for a decent night shot and i will let her understand the theory or at least the meaning behing this
The main concern is cos of the noise issue with low light condition
Mayb out there got a PnS that can handle noise quite well in low light condition
just that i didnt know
so gotta ask all bros n sis here to find out.

F100FD is 1 of the cam that i noe some ppl recommend. But i seen somewhere that F50FD is not that good compared to its predecessor
Duno how true. But i will let my eye convinced me only Hehe

But good suggestion also.
Will let her know also. Any more suggestion? ^_^
every suggestion is seriously considered~

Frankly speaking, I don't think there's any PnS that would perform well above ISO 400 in low light condition and shutter will definitely be slow in those condition.

look for entry level DSLR?
1000D?

Status
Not open for further replies.