PnS camera for DSLR user

What PnS would you buy if you already have a DSLR?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rinakurniadi

Jun 17, 2009
Hi,

I am currently using a DSLR and very happy with it, however find it not practical when travelling with kids (especially when the kids want to take my picture!). Thus, I am now thinking of getting a Point and Shoot camera (and keep my DSLR to myself :).

I am sure that many clubsnappers have been in my situation before, please let me here your thoughts and experience.

Some cameras which have caught my attention lately are:
Panasonic Lumix LX 3 (because of the Leica lens and f/2)
Canon Powershot S90 (also f/2)
Canon Powershot SX 120 (because of f/2.8 and 10 times zoom, and much cheaper than the above mentioned cameras)

Looking forward to hear from you! Thanks!!

So have you tested them? Read the reviews? Set a budget? Actually tried them all hands-on? Do all that first.

I've seen them and read the specs online, but not test them.
Where would you suggest to go for test? Any particular camera shop with patient shopkeeper in mind?

The 3 options are not my major concern. I prefer to have 1 that has manual control.

I've seen them and read the specs online, but not test them.
Where would you suggest to go for test? Any particular camera shop with patient shopkeeper in mind?

All the usual recommended shops that are listed over and over again, as well as all major electronic shops like HN, Best, Courts, etc.

A little bit of footwork will go a long way. Please show some initiative too.

it's really depend on what you feel which is most needed, if you shoot more in low light condition, and want good quality photo, then f/2.0 camera. If you zoom frequently, then 10x zoom camera. If just for convenient, then compaq.

For canon cameras, go to Vivo City Canon showroom. Test all you want.

The cameras I'm interested in have manual control.
The difference are the f/stop and zoom (on specs).
Anyone has any of the cameras I mentioned? What's your experience?
I wonder how good the bokeh is with f/2.
If you have, could you please post a picture for comparison. Thanks!

I'm getting my Lumix LX3 tomolo and i find that it's an excellent PnS for it's class, despite being over a year old.

Ricoh GRDIII is better and small than LX3, G11 and S90

Ricoh GRDIII is better and small than LX3, G11 and S90

I'm not so impressed by Ricoh cams and also tried the S90. The only thing i like abt the S90 is the integrated filter in front of the lens element to protect it. So i've made up my mind on the LX3.

Thing is for the price...if can get your hands on the Panasonic LZ8 or LZ10 is pretty good already. Leica glass + manual control :)

too bad that i heard its production has been discontinued.

Last edited:
Thing is for the price...if can get your hands on the Panasonic LZ8 or LZ10 is pretty good already. Leica glass + manual control :)

too bad that i heard its production has been discontinued.

Yeah but i just need a normal PnS as a travel camera as the others will be handled by my DSLR so it's gd enough. :)

A tough (ie shockproof and waterproof) PnS would be my choice.

Yeah but i just need a normal PnS as a travel camera as the others will be handled by my DSLR so it's gd enough. :)
Thing is, its cheaper or around the same price as most PNS cameras. The going rate was less then $180 last i checked.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408budgetgroup/page15.asp

Not easy to find nowadays offers that give the leather case as well.

I'm not so impressed by Ricoh cams and also tried the S90. The only thing i like abt the S90 is the integrated filter in front of the lens element to protect it. So i've made up my mind on the LX3.

That will be an excellent choice of camera

just to note that the lx3 leica lens is not the same leica used on lower end panasonic models
as a result the sharpness and bokeh is at a diff level

the sensor is also exceptional for a pns resulting in great color render

The hotshoe allows for great nite shot opportunities

plus it looks fabulous!!

If u worry abt the lens and barrel being damaged as it is exposed, just get an adaptor with filter and that will solve that concern

Thing is, its cheaper or around the same price as most PNS cameras. The going rate was less then $180 last i checked.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408budgetgroup/page15.asp

Not easy to find nowadays offers that give the leather case as well.

The LZ8 is not wide enough for me cos i'm a wide shooter and i also dun mean adding wide conversion lenses.

That will be an excellent choice of camera

just to note that the lx3 leica lens is not the same leica used on lower end panasonic models
as a result the sharpness and bokeh is at a diff level

the sensor is also exceptional for a pns resulting in great color render

The hotshoe allows for great nite shot opportunities

plus it looks fabulous!!

If u worry abt the lens and barrel being damaged as it is exposed, just get an adaptor with filter and that will solve that concern

Plus also its f/2-2.8 lens.

I heard the DMW-LA4 conversion lens adapter is out of stock at most places so i've to live without it for a while.

so u need or dun need wider than 24mm?

Anyway pana is not the only wide conversion lens around
u may need to do a bit of leg work to find sigma/ oly/ canon/ nikon 0.7x convertor which can fit either 46mm or 52mm adaptors

At least the optics is still acceptable (esp since u r 5D user)

Status
Not open for further replies.