PM must call an election to fill a seat vacated by MP

Status
Not open for further replies.

An drew

May 27, 2005

I have the utmost respect for the decision by the Court of Appeal and the courage of Ms Vellama Marie Muthu and Mr M Ravi. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This was a close shave for democracy in Singapore. [/FONT]:sweat:

Last edited:
Bottomline is ... "what does it mean to the Hougang residents?" Does it mean that the ruling party will have another chance to dislodge the opposition from Hougang?

I have the utmost respect for the decision by the Court of Appeal and the courage of Ms Vellama Marie Muthu and Mr M Ravi. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This was a close shave for democracy in Singapore. [/FONT]:sweat:

Lai lai, let's bet on how long the career of the presiding judge.... ;p

Lai lai, let's bet on how long the career of the presiding judge.... ;p

Ha ha. There are 3 judges. I worry for them too, one of them used to be the Resident Fellow of my block and a really honourable and righteous guy.

Counting down... Let's take a bet on how long before this Political thread will be shut down.

It is alright. CA says need to call election, then call one. Not a big deal.

Why such a big fuss by AGC, High Court judge over the simple interpretation of the word "shall". Just ask any primary school English teacher. Why need CA to decide. So are the lawyers stupid? No, lah. These are bright and smart people. But if one interpretes a particular way, then it is a given that the other party will appeal. They KNOW it. So my guess is that, maybe this is just a case of what we call, "passing the buck upstairs" inside the system to the CA to make the decision.

It is not a political thread. Just outcome of CA decision. Where legal emphasis moved from the word "election" to the word "shall".

Last edited:
Counting down... Let's take a bet on how long before this Political thread will be shut down.

Heh, tough lei. If everyone stayed away from the keywords this thread can go forever. So far, it's just a discussion on the interpretation of law, and thecareer of judges, work of AGC, etc.. Nothing political.

Last edited:
Heh, tough lei. If everyone stayed away from the keywords this thread can go forever. So far, it's just a discussion on the interpretation of law, and thecareer of judges, work of AGC, etc.. Nothing political.

just wait for it :)

Despite whoever is behind the scene, pulling her strings for whatever ulterior motive. I still like to thank Ms. Vellama Marie Muthu in fighting for our constitutional rights.

Despite whoever is behind the scene, pulling her strings for whatever ulterior motive. I still like to thank Ms. Vellama Marie Muthu in fighting for our constitutional rights.

Yeah, not many people dare to do such things.

shall call. . . but any time frame in which it should happen. . . ?
anyway Prem Binister had the foresight to call for one preemptively rather than have his hand forced.

The primary intent of this thread is to recognize the efforts of Singaporeans, ordinary ("part-time cleaner") or otherwise, in safeguarding the constitutional rights of the common Singaporean. I also hope that Singaporeans will be less fearful and apathetic about such issues as the survival of our nation depends on our willingness to defend what is important.

The primary intent of this thread is to recognize the efforts of Singaporeans, ordinary ("part-time cleaner") or otherwise, in safeguarding the constitutional rights of the common Singaporean. I also hope that Singaporeans will be less fearful and apathetic about such issues as the survival of our nation depends on our willingness to defend what is important.

Are you saying that we have no right?

What are you fearful of?

Is it a question of survival of our NATION? So serious? Is your livelihood or life threatened?

Are you not living comfortably?

Which country do you think is best?

Is it a question of survival of our NATION? So serious? Is your livelihood or life threatened?

Is not the Constitution of our nation and its interpretation a serious matter?

As for comfort:

The superior man thinks always of virtue; the common man thinks of comfort. -Confucius

A scholar who cherishes the love of comfort is not fit to be deemed a scholar. - Lao Tzu

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom, and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that too. - W. Somerset Maugham

It is no time for ease and comfort. It is time to dare and endure. - Winston Churchill

If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair. - C.S. Lewis

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moment of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. - Martin Luther King, Jr

The lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host, and then a master. - Khalil Gibran

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. - Neale Donald Walsch

Comfort and prosperity have never enriched the world as much as adversity has. - Billy Graham

Be careful in dealing with a man who cares nothing for comfort or promotion, but is simply determined to do what he believes to be right. He is a dangerous uncomfortable enemy, because his body, which you can always conquer, gives you little purchase upon his soul. - Gilbert Murray

What are you fearful of?

This is a trick question. Don't answer it. At least let me win my bet on when this thread got shut down. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
This is a trick question. Don't answer it. At least let me win my bet on when this thread got shut down. :bsmilie:
Which would be an expression of fear. As long as we discuss things in a civilized manner the T&C of CS give us the space.
Political discussions are healthy, however inconvenient they might be for those being pushed out of their (mental) comfort zone.

Last edited:
It is not a political thread. Just outcome of CA decision. Where legal emphasis moved from the word "election" to the word "shall".

So its an english language thread? :bsmilie:

I say we have total right to choose Canon over Nikon but not vice vise.

What are you fearful of?
A long messy hair pale-faced woman in long white gown sitting on my bed in the middle of night.

I have been threatened by aggressive aunties when I point my compact at them.

Not comfortably to the extent of having limitless XMMs to shoot.

Which country do you think is best?
I think Brazil with their beautiful models is the best democracy.

:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.