Plz help taking photos in direct sunlight

quanganht

Dec 16, 2010
I have been wondering how can ppl shoot photos like these (especially the sun):

D3R_0454-768.jpg

5666729313_b04409c71e.jpg

Whenever I try to take one, it will be either too dark or totally blown out. Any advice on how to do it properly?

Last edited:
quanganht said:
I have been wondering how can ppl shoot photos like these (especially the sun):

Whenever I try to take one, it will be either too dark or totally blown out. Any advice on how to do it properly?

These two looks like shot using HDR. Which means to shot two or more shots at different exposure, then combine into one. Research on HDR and its software.

These two looks like shot using HDR. Which means to shot two or more shots at different exposure, then combine into one. Research on HDR and its software.

I forgot to say that they are taken directly from camera.

quanganht said:
I forgot to say that they are taken directly from camera.

You witness the shot taken? You might be able to flash for #1 but #2 is quite unlikely flashed.

It looks more like edited.

#1 is from Ken Rockwell, so it's confirmed clean. #2, not sure.

For #2, I think probably a filter like ND or GND is used, if it's a clean shot.

I think shot #1 can still get away with fill flash.

Last edited:
#1 is stopped down (from the sun rays), probably manually exposed with fill flash.

#2 could be done with help of a GND and manual exposure. The vignetting hints that it likely has been post-processed.

Just guessing.

Last edited:
a. There are dslrs with built in HDR capability.
b. There are lens with special coating (eg.Pentax DA15) which yields pretty good results when shots directly at the sun.
c. Lastly can try polarizers (or even ND filters too).
Fill flash will not work since the background (especialy the second pic) unless it is within the range of the intended object.

#1 is stopped down (from the sun rays), probably manually exposed with fill flash.

So how can i reproduce the sunray effect like #1? stop down till what fnumber?

So how can i reproduce the sunray effect like #1? stop down till what fnumber?

See how strong you want the effect. Effect should be pretty strong by f/16.

my second guessing for the first photo is that the sun rays are at likely late afternoons (4-5plus pm). KRW could be using spot metering on the branches.

Added: Before fixing anything in post production, likely this has to do with zone system, getting the exposure right. I've found an article to share.

http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/theory/understanding-using-ansel-adams-zone-system/

Last edited:
#1 and #2 is achieveable straight out of camera without any editing
both are using small aperture
#1 -> meter at the branchs, with small aperture u'll get the sun though the sky will still be overblown
#2 -> wait till sunset, meter at the sky, u can see in the pic that there's somepart that's underexposed

if you would take notice, the first pix has lots of branches blocking the sun, in a way diffusing the sun.

second pix, the cloud is also dense enough, so the sun still able to show but not blown out completely.

the rest is simple, metering the right spot, shoot bracketing exposures with manual mode.

if you shoot sunrise sunset often, you will know not everyday the same, and what kind of condition will give you the best effect. GND filters help too, but not all situation able to use them.

I just realized that the vigneting in #2 can be caused by using DX lens on full-frame body. So there are chances that it's a clean shot.

I just realized that the vigneting in #2 can be caused by using DX lens on full-frame body. So there are chances that it's a clean shot.

If it's a DX lens on a FX body, the vignette should be much worse than the shot #2.
This is considered fall-off at the corners, I would say. Maybe due to the filter or something.

Knowing KRW, he probably have active D-lighting set to Max. Then he probably used the in cam editor to set D-lighting to max again.

Last edited: