Plz help in.. choosing a branded/non-branded digital camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

exNT

hey i was wondering.. ever since i bought my canon ixus400 the 4mp one... i found that it is good. but when i brought it over to compare with a panasonic one... i couldn't find any good features of my canon ixus400, even at the aspects of comparing lenses, The panasonic one is using Leica lens from germany.. what does this Canon ixus400 have..

or perhaps i should consider getting brands like RANGER/HP/chiong brands?

exNT said:
hey i was wondering.. ever since i bought my canon ixus400 the 4mp one... i found that it is good. but when i brought it over to compare with a panasonic one... i couldn't find any good features of my canon ixus400, even at the aspects of comparing lenses, The panasonic one is using Leica lens from germany.. what does this Canon ixus400 have..

or perhaps i should consider getting brands like RANGER/HP/chiong brands?

lots of aspect why something can be less gd in performance but more ex.....

1)it weight and size....cos to compact gd stuff into light n compact medium is alreasdy expensive.
2)walao, the design...damn chio one will sell at hiher price
3)who in that lady in the advertisement?when the item become hip, the price hit the ceiling, its absolutely rite of u to use the word branded.

the truth is cheaper and less famous camera can be better.
therefore always ask what u urself need or expect out of ur ideal camera.(honestly),read for their specs, the decide, the end is always U getting the rite camera.

I do look out for gd lense.
above 4.5 mag resolution
digicam.
..i am interested in geetting myself a digicam...
Any body (infact everybody ) having better knopwledge than me , pls give me advice...hehe.

I am cosidering

1)NIKON COOLPIX5700(critics say it gives sharp n rich colours but high power consumpstion.)

2) Sony CYBERshot 707(Carl Zeis lens leh, and low power cosumption)

3)Minolta Dimage 7

Whatcha think guys? Is DIGIcam a gd choice also for WIDE angle photography?

will be waiting anxious ly for ur pposts man

919956g said:
lots of aspect why something can be less gd in performance but more ex.....

1)it weight and size....cos to compact gd stuff into light n compact medium is alreasdy expensive.
2)walao, the design...damn chio one will sell at hiher price
3)who in that lady in the advertisement?when the item become hip, the price hit the ceiling, its absolutely rite of u to use the word branded.

the truth is cheaper and less famous camera can be better.
therefore always ask what u urself need or expect out of ur ideal camera.(honestly),read for their specs, the decide, the end is always U getting the rite camera.

hmmz
if two camera are specifications comparable..
but one is Canon, maybe priced at $599
then another brand is "CHIONG", priced at $300...
should i go for the chiong brand instead?

exNT said:
hmmz
if two camera are specifications comparable..
but one is Canon, maybe priced at $599
then another brand is "CHIONG", priced at $300...
should i go for the chiong brand instead?
Do also consider other factors like support (should anything go wrong). Most of those other "chiong" brands may not come close.

But if you are getting a cam just to shoot and record the world around, then I guess anything goes.

Take a step back to think -
A 3Mp cam, Canon's A70 at $500, Nikon's SQ at $600+, Amconics or Ranger's XXX at $200+ (prices at rough estimate).
The cheapo does look attractive in saving you and extra $$$. On the other hand, take a good look at the pictures produced. Yes, by this, you get the same person/group to try out all 3 (or borrow from frens/CSers). You may find that sometimes peanuts beget you monkeys.

Azure said:
Do also consider other factors like support (should anything go wrong). Most of those other "chiong" brands may not come close.

But if you are getting a cam just to shoot and record the world around, then I guess anything goes.

Take a step back to think -
A 3Mp cam, Canon's A70 at $500, Nikon's SQ at $600+, Amconics or Ranger's XXX at $200+ (prices at rough estimate).
The cheapo does look attractive in saving you and extra $$$. On the other hand, take a good look at the pictures produced. Yes, by this, you get the same person/group to try out all 3 (or borrow from frens/CSers). You may find that sometimes peanuts beget you monkeys.

Yup....i agrreee...plus also see if its potential.
I dont know much bout digi...but for EOS Canon,lens is compatable among all eos model..i think this is quite potential(can go far)

I have the 717 and I find the wide end lacking without a wide angle, if you are into taking wide angle shots. I used it without a wide anglefor a class bbq and it was not wide enough for indoor group shots. Thankfully i got some el-cheapo 3rd party wide anglethat day. Lotsa barrel distortion, but hey I'm a consumer class, not hardcore :) Can get the pic of event happy liao :)

I hope you already have used your camera long enough, then get a feel for what you need. For me I know
a) I only use my cameras at occasions/events, not everyday like the pros here. (Oh yes I also use it in class to capture tutorials :)
b) I use the wide angles mainly.

I recently bought a film cam, a minolta dynax 5, for overseas trips (717 bring abroad a bit worry about battery life) and at a price of under 500 used, it can cover a range from 28mm to 300mm with its two kit lenses. Plus since it's a SLR you can change lenses. Perhaps you can try film too? Slides are awesome!

Regards,
Alvin

alvin said:
I have the 717 and I find the wide end lacking without a teleconverter, if you are into taking wide angle shots. I used it without a teleconverter for a class bbq and it was not wide enough for indoor group shots. Thankfully i got some el-cheapo 3rd party teleconverter that day. Lotsa barrel distortion, but hey I'm a consumer class, not hardcore :) Can get the pic of event happy liao :)

I thought a teleconvertor is for increasing the zoom, not making the lens wider ? I think you got a wide angle lens instead of a teleconvertor.

okay,

im not that hardcore, can you tell me how do i recognise whether a digital camera is good? I'm going to use it for several small birthday parties occassions sort of thing... maybe just bring it out for some small captures of friends.. then printing it on a 4R paper...? can you recommend me some?
i have a budget of $500

exNT said:
okay,

im not that hardcore, can you tell me how do i recognise whether a digital camera is good? I'm going to use it for several small birthday parties occassions sort of thing... maybe just bring it out for some small captures of friends.. then printing it on a 4R paper...? can you recommend me some?
i have a budget of $500

About the fact of branded and not so branded cameras, there is indeed a difference.

The lens of branded cameras are usually good, like Zoom Nikkor lens in Coolpix, Canon's lens in Canon's camera, Leica lens, Carl Zeiss lens (btw not all SONY camera use Carl Zeis)

The imaging processor is usually better. It affects things like noise quality, white balance determination..etc
Canon's IXUS 400 is using DiGiC processor.

The Autofocus is usually more advanced, for example a 9 point TTL on the IXUS 400.

Better or more intelligent metering system.

Broader range of features like more ISO values to choose from, more modes like Tv, Av...etc

Lastly, branded camera have a better cash back value or resale value. A 2nd hand canon camera is easier to sell and fetch a better price than a 2nd hand Samsung or HP Photosmart.

OK, back to your question.
You have to determine your needs like, SIZE of the camera.
Do you want it to be compact like shirt-pocket size, like Exilim or you are okay with something larger like Powershot A70.

Any other features you specify like or dislike in a camera? like AA batteries instead of internal Li-ion? Ability to mount filters and teleconverters..etc?

For 4R printing, 2MP cameras is enough. Maybe even up to 5R for decent quality.

Saw the Exilim's 2MP printouts on A4 size at Comdex 2003, looks bad to me (grainy) but may be acceptable to others.

I guess for $500, pocket sized ones like Exilim is slightly over the $500 budget, for more features and controls, can go for a Canon Powershot A60 and use the left overs for a spare CF and 'AA' Ni-MH batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.