plustek dedicated 35mm scanner

+1 for the Pakon 135+. It's fast and quite good. Just that colors can be off at times and images appear harsh.

Here is one scan (shot with canon 50/1.5 on kodak Gold 200)

15614075090_1c71f070a8_b.jpg

Last edited:
Yup. Colors can be off, but luckily it's easily corrected by adjusting the sliders in the software or in light room. Takes less than 5 min to correct a whole roll. Not sure about images appearing harsh. I guess that's more dependent on the film rather than the scanner.

+1 for the Pakon 135+. It's fast and quite good. Just that colors can be off at times and images appear harsh.

Here is one scan (shot with canon 50/1.5 on kodak Gold 200)

Yup. Colors can be off, but luckily it's easily corrected by adjusting the sliders in the software or in light room. Takes less than 5 min to correct a whole roll. Not sure about images appearing harsh. I guess that's more dependent on the film rather than the scanner.

Probably so.

This is shot with Kodak Ektar. Collapsible summicron. Harsh rite?

15623905220_505d8e869d_b.jpg

Hmm.. Are you referring to the bokeh? Never seen such attention grabbing bokeh before. Doesn't serve the purpose of isolating the subject in focus. Do you get this using other films like Portra 400?

If you do buy a scanner, check it will work with your operating system.

A case in point. I bought yesterday a used Plustek 7200i, and this came with the bundled software, Silverfast 6.5.

All went well until i tried to load the software onto my Mac, running Mavericks. No go.

The 7200i doesn't seem to run with OSX, so I am either going to have to get a Windoze machine (never), or sell the Plustek ( most likely).
Gary

If you do buy a scanner, check it will work with your operating system.

A case in point. I bought yesterday a used Plustek 7200i, and this came with the bundled software, Silverfast 6.5.

All went well until i tried to load the software onto my Mac, running Mavericks. No go.

The 7200i doesn't seem to run with OSX, so I am either going to have to get a Windoze machine (never), or sell the Plustek ( most likely).
Gary

Alternatively, you could just get a copy of Vuescan Pro for US$80 that will run under Mavericks and support the Plustek 7200i.

Alternatively, you could just get a copy of Vuescan Pro for US$80 that will run under Mavericks and support the Plustek 7200i.

Are you sure of this? I looked, and looked, but couldn't find anywhere that it said it would work. I have the demo copy on my Mac and it tells me that Mavericks is not supported. Very happy to eat my words if you are right though, very.

EDIT: I have just checked again. Vuescan will work with Mavericks, it just won't make the 7200i work, and this is a problem with the 7200i not Vuescan by the look of it.

So I either need to run this scanner with Windows, or get another scanner. Not sure what to do, yet, might just sell it.
Gary

Last edited:
Rechecked vuescan support page. It does say for 7200i, it is window only! my bad.

If you don't like to install window on your Mac via bootcamp, using vitualization like VMware is an option. Window would appear like an app on your OSX.

Last edited:
Well, made it work, but on an old loaner Windoze PC. It certainly scans, but if I can run it on my Mac (and without the Parallels/BootCamp way) then it can go.
I'm going to list it in the Buy/Now.
Thanks for all the suggestions though.
Gary

OK, I'll have a look. It's in the Buy/Now as we speak, although I find that almost every time I strike out, simply due my location.
Thank you though.
Gary