Pls share your Night Photograhy Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

i2wire

Jul 12, 2006
Love is everywhere
Dear fellow Csers, I want to learn about Night Photograhy but im a newbie with no experience at all. Although i have look though some photograhy books, still cant see much different between the settings.

1) How aperture affects the night photos?
2) Can EV+- do any good to the night envoirment?
3) Will PL filters affects to the photos i took( Day n Night)?

Pls share your Photograhy Experience,it will be best to come with your photos and settings. Im will be grateful for your kind sharing.Thank you! :)

Yea. Smaller aperture will give you those 'stary' effects.

ic, what about the pl filter? will they affect the pics,especially at night? :)

1) How aperture affects the night photos?
2) Can EV+- do any good to the night envoirment?
3) Will PL filters affects to the photos i took( Day n Night)?

Pls share your Photograhy Experience,it will be best to come with your photos and settings. Im will be grateful for your kind sharing.Thank you! :)
1) Aperture affects the night photos in many ways, firstly light from concentrated sources, like lampposts, bulbs will appear to have a starburst effect if you use a small aperture. The smaller the aperture, the more pronounced. Of course this would affect exposure timing drastically. Sometimes this can be used to your advantage easily, like traffic trails - that would be a common example of using long exposure timings.

Other than that, aperture also affects Depth of Field, i.e. the amount of detail that can be seen from your point of focus to the rest of the picture.

This photo shows the starburst effect.

459855080_b4673aef8b.jpg

2) Depends on the situation, in short.

3) Yes, polarisers would affect reflections on non-metallic surfaces no matter what. They increase contrast and saturation. Of course the effect will be less pronounced depending on your angle to the light source, etc. But since the effects, from experience are not so pronounced at night, you usually do not use a CPL unless it is absolutely necessary - would increase exposure timing by a few stops (usually 2, IIRC) and this might mean a compromise for most cams. (due to increased noise, I mean)

147481238-M.jpg

Depends on what you are taking...

ic, what about the pl filter? will they affect the pics,especially at night? :)

1) Aperture affects the night photos in many ways, firstly light from concentrated sources, like lampposts, bulbs will appear to have a starburst effect if you use a small aperture. The smaller the aperture, the more pronounced. Of course this would affect exposure timing drastically. Sometimes this can be used to your advantage easily, like traffic trails - that would be a common example of using long exposure timings.

Other than that, aperture also affects Depth of Field, i.e. the amount of detail that can be seen from your point of focus to the rest of the picture.

This photo shows the starburst effect.

459855080_b4673aef8b.jpg

2) Depends on the situation, in short.

3) Yes, polarisers would affect reflections on non-metallic surfaces no matter what. They increase contrast and saturation. Of course the effect will be less pronounced depending on your angle to the light source, etc. But since the effects, from experience are not so pronounced at night, you usually do not use a CPL unless it is absolutely necessary - would increase exposure timing by a few stops (usually 2, IIRC) and this might mean a compromise for most cams. (due to increased noise, I mean)

yes, i need to increase exposure timing around 2 in indoor lighting. i felt weird when i used pl filter at night... when i want to buy filters, the salesman recommand me to take PL, as he said suitable for all situtation. but, he did remind me about the increasing of exposure. Thanks bro for ur sharing! :D

yes, i need to increase exposure timing around 2 in indoor lighting. i felt weird when i used pl filter at night... when i want to buy filters, the salesman recommand me to take PL, as he said suitable for all situtation. but, he did remind me about the increasing of exposure. Thanks bro for ur sharing! :D
=D

Then imagine if you use IR filter at night. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

My advice is, go out, take some photos, and you will learn more from that than reading stuff here. =)

All the advice I can give here is to make sure you do bring a source of light like a torchlight so that you can see your equipment. Nothing worse than losing things in the dark.

All the advice I can give here is to make sure you do bring a source of light like a torchlight so that you can see your equipment. Nothing worse than losing things in the dark.

:think: you lost ur equipment before.. Bro? yes, this is a good advice. I will be cautious with my BB cam. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.