Beeshan
hi,

using a D70, wanna read up more on how to maximise my cam

1. flash photography
2. sports
3. portraiture
4. events(weddings etc)
5. exposure

heard theres a book on D70? the red lantern or something?

I think the D70 book you're referring to is by Magic Lantern guides - I think Riceball's bookstore is bringing them in. It will probably be more of a rehash of the manual (although better explained and have a little more content), so do check it out to see if it is what you want.

Another book to consider is the D70 eBook by Thom Hogan (only available in eBook form), which quite a few people like. If you want a book about the D70 that also has a bit on expsoure and post processing technique as well, you can also consider the D70 eBook by Peter Inova - I've heard good reviews of this one as well.

e-books can download or print out or not? i am not quite used to reading long passages off my monitor

Hmmm... the trouble with books is that once you are kinda done with them, it's no more than a reference guide. Furthermore, they are not that cheap. Why not try the National Library that gives you more about specific areas and not just in regards to any particular equipment.

You may also consider joining short courses where you might be able to get more help practically and theoratically from the instructors and fellow students.

tommon said:
Hmmm... the trouble with books is that once you are kinda done with them, it's no more than a reference guide. Furthermore, they are not that cheap. Why not try the National Library that gives you more about specific areas and not just in regards to any particular equipment.

You may also consider joining short courses where you might be able to get more help practically and theoratically from the instructors and fellow students.

Hmmmm....the problem with short courses are that they are often more expensive than books. But the books will always be there for, as you said, reference!

In any case, one can learn from fellow students without attending any courses. This happens all the time in forums like this, as well as in photoshoots.

Clubs are also a good place to learn, because books have limitations, they can also be opinionated. Best way to to actually go out there and try.

I have steered away from books because you can't bring them on a shoot. While shoting with others are interactive, develops our social skills and most importantly, gives us practice, practice, practice.

tommon said:
Clubs are also a good place to learn, because books have limitations, they can also be opinionated. Best way to to actually go out there and try.

I have steered away from books because you can't bring them on a shoot. While shoting with others are interactive, develops our social skills and most importantly, gives us practice, practice, practice.

Of course most things "created" by man (and woman) are opinionated - including instructors in photography courses!

It is not a question of which is better.They are all complimentary. I think it is pertinent to note that most books are written by well regarded professionals and teachers, usually of some "international" standards. It does not follow that these are necessarily "better", but the chances of them being "better" is higher.

But many instructors here (please note: I am not denigrating the quality of the teaching) have at best a local reputation (not to say that local reputation = not good).

Status
Not open for further replies.