pls recommend fast and robust photo browser (mac)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpcc

Mar 29, 2004
Just came back from overseas trip and has around 1600 images
(not sorted yet) in one directory.

Am using Viewit for browsing, but the images are really taxing the
machine. Is Viewit one of the better (more robust) browser for such
pruning? Photomechanic is another possible alternative, quite ex though.

Any other recommendation?

I dun know about other programs but picasa is great for viewing and sorting. Used it in my company P2.... normally takes 15secs to preview not view a photo but picasa allows 3secs so it fast.

jpcc said:
Just came back from overseas trip and has around 1600 images
(not sorted yet) in one directory.

Am using Viewit for browsing, but the images are really taxing the
machine. Is Viewit one of the better (more robust) browser for such
pruning? Photomechanic is another possible alternative, quite ex though.

Any other recommendation?

you can search for other alternatives in versiontracker.com :)

There's quite a few like ACDSee/ Iview Media/ ThumbsUp....etc

On the mac, if you're not happy using iPhoto, I recommend ACDSee if you're purely using it for viewing & 'pruning'. The latest version for PC has a better user interface but is slower when viewing RAW files (could also be because of my older processor).

You could try picasa as flowerpot99 suggest, INMH it is fast even on a slow machine, comes with very good built in image finetune features too.
Nowadays alawys use it to view my works...

;)

ACDsee on Mac is plain sucks, unlike proper Mac app like iView Media Pro or PhotoMechanic Pro

I really disliked the way iphoto chucks all your photos into weird directories.

iView Media Pro is nice feature-wise, but it's annoying slow when advancing through photos. is there anything for Mac that's as fast at loading/browsing (or close) as the EXIF Image Viewer freeware for Windows?

ViewIt is actually very very decent as a image browser. i am running a G4 ibook 1.2ghz with 768 RAM. had abt the same amount of pics like you from a trip and iphoto took forever (i stopped using iphoto since, yeah agree with wind30, hate the way iphoto sort things out for you)

ViewIt works for me, anyway

there are other freeware/shareware you can try. maybe CoCo X?

check www.versiontracker.com or search the forums at macuser.org.sg

On my G4 eMac I use iPhoto to organize my photos. Currently there are close to 3000 images in storage (it is capable of holding up to 25K). I can browse thru ALL the images within seconds. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.