Pls recommend a camera shoulder bag

Chillibomber

Jun 29, 2012
Singapore
I am thinking of getting a shoulder bag to replace the Tamrac backpack that I'm currently using. Appreciate your recommendations on models that are comfortable and provide easy access to the gears. Something that might also be suitable for occassional overseas travel.

Here are the gears that I need to fit in:

Canon 5D mk2 with batt grip
16-35mm 2.8
28-70mm 2.8
70-200mm 2.8
Flash 580 ex2
Sirui travel tripod T1204x
iPad (if possible)

Thanks much.

A lot of gear for a shoulder bag. It would kill my back. How about the crumpler 8MDH? Or think thank urban disguise series. Domke also has quite nice shoulder bags but dunno the specific model.

i think you are looking for a 'break-my-shoulder' bag? :dunno:

i carry similar amount of gears in my Thinktank Streetwalker Pro and i can still feel the strain on my shoulders, not to mention on one single shoulder. :dunno:

in any case, there are the Crumpler Million Dollar series, Thinktank Retrospective series etc to look at.

if you are feeling rich, can look at Billingham's offerings as well.

Last edited:
Hi esoeij and tecnica,

Thanks for your recommendations and also pointing out about the weight issues. I am also wondering if those gears were too ambitious for a shoulder bag.

The crumpler looks appeal to me while the Think Tank Urban disguise and Shoulder Harness appear to fit my needs best. I will go check them out in person. As for the Billingham... Gulp....I will leave it to the real rich folks.

Thanks again for taking the time to share.

Chillibomber said:
I am thinking of getting a shoulder bag to replace the Tamrac backpack that I'm currently using. Appreciate your recommendations on models that are comfortable and provide easy access to the gears. Something that might also be suitable for occassional overseas travel.

16-35mm 2.8
28-70mm 2.8
70-200mm 2.8
Flash 580 ex2
iPad (if possible)

Thanks much.

That's slot of gear. THINKTANK UD 50 n above. If cut down a bit, I think the think tank speed freak or demon is comfortable n fast .

Chillibomber, I have the UD60 and previously I bought it to carry my 1D3, 16-35L, 50L, 70-300L, 580EX2, 430EX, ST-E2.

I only used the UD60 for less than a month then slowly I left more and more stuff at home, until my bag left with the camera body + 2 L lenses. I bought another new bag: Streetwalker Harddrive to carry all my stuff out.

Your list of stuff is much more than mine, you will kill your shoulder if you were I carry all the load with you. You might as well go for a roller bag or backpack.

Chillibomber said:

16-35mm 2.8
28-70mm 2.8
70-200mm 2.8
Flash 580 ex2
iPad (if possible)

Thanks much.

No shoulder bag will ever hold all this stuff, without you going to a doc for a sprain shoulder

Be realistic in your requirements

if your reason for changing from backpack to shoulder bag is for quick-access to your lenses/ accessories, may I sugges you take a look at Thinktank Streetwalker backpacks? Streetwalker backpacks allow you to attach optional pro-belts + pouches. I load all my stuff into my Streetwalker HardDrive, and when I am on the move I offload my most-used accessories into the pouches around my waist. Pretty versatile setup. :)

I still think getting a backpack might be more easy on you (regardless of your size and built). The shoulder bag if you must have should also come with some form of weight reduction support system. I will not recommend the Billingham in this case as it will add a lot weight to what you are already planning to carry. I am guilty as charge when it comes to torturing myself too. For gears like yours, I would recommend the Thinktank Retrospective 30 as it has a lot of rooms and you can customized the compartments for all the items that you have listed. In fact, you can stack the 16-35mm on top of the 28-70mm if you placed them horizontally instead of vertical arrangement. That way, you save more space for other things like accessories (blower, lens brush, cleaning kit, extra batteries, filters, etc, etc). The iPad slid in nicely at the back compartment too.

I tend to carry more for assignments and I hate trolleys ... 2 bodies (with grips), 3 lenses (TS-E 24m, 24-70, 70-200), extra batteries, cleaning kit, filters, storage cards, including iPad, phones, etc all into the Thinktank Retrospective 30. I chose it for the canvas material (black) and allows ease of blending when overseas without being spotted for a camera bag. After numerous trip, I always end up with backache and sore shoulder (especially in journey when I need to do a lot of long distance walking). Now, I have invested in a LowePro Backpack so that i can spread the weight across both shoulder instead of 1 - I am sure you will understand as you get older.. :)

Thanks all for sharing. Yes, i was planning to switch fom backpack to shoulder bag for quicker, easier access of gears. Saw some bags that promise to carry loads of gears, so thought it is a good idea. Having heard your valuable pointers, I will reconsider the approach. With my average built and not-so-strong back, it is probably a really bad idea to switch.

I will check out the options that you have suggested and see what could work for my needs. Thanks again.

Thanks all for sharing. Yes, i was planning to switch fom backpack to shoulder bag for quicker, easier access of gears. Saw some bags that promise to carry loads of gears, so thought it is a good idea. Having heard your valuable pointers, I will reconsider the approach. With my average built and not-so-strong back, it is probably a really bad idea to switch.

I will check out the options that you have suggested and see what could work for my needs. Thanks again.

i am not sure about you but i have multiple bags for different patterns of usage. i have namely 2x backpacks(Lowepro Fastpack 250, Thinktank Streetwalker Pro) and 2x sling bags(Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home, Billingham Hadley Pro).

i pack according to what i wanna shoot. for my normal weekend landscapes shooting, i will go with the Thinktank, reason being its high quality build which protects my gears well. not to mention it(actually all backpacks) leaves both my hands free to do what i need to do. with my liberal space setup, it typically holds my 7D + BG-E7 + 10-22 + 70-200L + tripod + gorillapod + filters + accessories + water bottle + nitty gritty stuffs. the Lowepro holds more or less(perhaps a little less) the same stuffs but the paddings are not as good as the Thinktank.

if i wanna shoot streets(which i seldom do), or i just want to carry my 7D + 2 lenses + 580EXII, i will go with the Crumpler. it holds my gears pretty well and i can access them easily. to be honest, i have tried packing my 7D + grip + 10-22 + 17-55 + 70-200L + 580EXII + accessories + nitty gritty stuffs into the Crumpler before. sure the bag can contain everything, albeit the tight squeeze, but i pretty much had an aching, beaten shoulder and back at the end of the day. it is not fun to carry such combined weight on a single shoulder, trust me on this. somemore i did it for 5 consecutive days when i was on free and easy vacation in Hong Kong, travelling via public transports and walking all day long.

now down to my last bag - the Hadley Pro. this one bag is purely reserved for my m43 gears, namely E-M5 + 12-50 + Panasonic 20/f1.7 + kit flash + accessories. put all these in and i barely fill half the bag. the Billingham can also carry my gripless 7D + 1 lens + 2nd lens/580EXII but i avoid using this bag for my DSLR as i typically cannot sufficiently pack what i need for my 7D.

for travel, i will carry my Thinktank on my back then pack my Crumpler into my luggage. then when on location i will pack the stuffs into my Crumpler according to the day's itinerary. or the other way is pack some of my stuffs into the Thinktank and ask my father/bro-in-law to carry it, then i will have the 7D + 10-22 and E-M5 + 20/f1.7 in the Crumpler. then repack according to places of visit again.

so yeah, just sharing with you how i use my bags. i feel as a serious hobbyist, one should have at least a backpack and sling bag to cater to different shooting needs.

Of course there are shoulder bags that are big and strong enough to carry those equipment you mention less tripod maybe.
But the main issue is. If you really want to carry so much load and is using a shoulder bag.

You will really suffer if you were walking long distance or trekking through the forest or etc. lets not mention if you were out for 1 whole day or more. In any case a backpack is more realistic and useful if you want to carry those (heavy and many) equipments with you. Unless you are in a vehicle most of the time then its fine. Hmm pls take care your back. Its very important ;)

Just my 2 cents.

if your reason for changing from backpack to shoulder bag is for quick-access to your lenses/ accessories, may I sugges you take a look at Thinktank Streetwalker backpacks? Streetwalker backpacks allow you to attach optional pro-belts + pouches. I load all my stuff into my Streetwalker HardDrive, and when I am on the move I offload my most-used accessories into the pouches around my waist. Pretty versatile setup. :)

Thanks all for the suggestions. I have been reading up on the options you suggested and yrh0413's recommendation of belt system appears to work best for my needs. I'm now inclined towards the Think Tank Shape Shifter, Pro belts and the modular pouches. Will check them up to see how they perform. Saw TK Foto's price list. These modular stuff adds up to alot of $.

Thinktank bags can be a little costly but they are really durable and reliable. I own the the Skin modular set, Urban Disguise 60, Streetwalker Pro, Streetwalker HardDrive, and Retrospective 7... none of these bags give me any issue so far. :)

As a few bros have already recommended, thinktank is a great brand. I have used the sling o mastic 10 and airport essentials backpack for travels. For your case I guess the airport essentials should be able to carry all that stuff. For the belt systems, it's great but if you are walking around long, you need to get used to it with all that equipment on your poor waist.

I favor Crumpler when looking for shoulder sling bags, but I won't recommend a shoulder bag if you want to carry your full gear.

But if you insist, a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home can actually fit your gear.

Quite sure Think Tank Retrospective 30 (largest one, I think) can hold it.

Lowepro Stealth Reporter larger ones also probably can.

But it's probably not advisable for your back/shoulders. :bsmilie:

I have just bought the Think Tank Shapeshifter backpack which would be very handy for overseas trips - more versatile than my current "camera only" Tamrac backpack. Also checked up the Think Tank belts, pouches & retrospective series and Crumpler MDH series. But yet to commit though.... Still thinking through

How's the padding of the shapeshifter? I have a feeling it's not as good as the streetwalker.

Anyone has experience with both bags?

I have similar requirements like yours, loads of gear, plus wanting to have quick access. You can try the lowepro flipside 400. It's a middle-ground kind of thing. Lets you carry as much as you want, and then access it by getting the gear without having the big off your shoulders.

I just bought it, and am going to try at the end of this month while overseas. haha.