pls help to decide cam for video option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

biker589

May 8, 2009
Singapore
Hi all,

Currently I have canon 450D and I am satisfied with its result.

my p&s camera is very old and max res 320* 240 only.
(I am not so much keen on video but sometimes I need it for holiday moments)

I have two options...
1) sell 450d and buy 500d(sell 450D+add $400) or
2) keep my 450d and buy a good p&s with hd video option.(Panasonic TZ7~$560)

Which will be better option,
Also how is the video quality difference in between these cameras 500D and pana Tz7 ?
Anybody compared before?
I am in confusion, guys please help to decide, :dunno:

hmm, im not sure about the panasonic. but i own the 500D, and while the quality is really good (at 720p, 30fps), the audio recording is pretty bad.. it picks up noise from the camera, such as auto focusing and IS sounds.. so if u want quiet video, u'll have to manual focus. thats my only problem with the 500Ds HD video recording

hmm, im not sure about the panasonic. but i own the 500D, and while the quality is really good (at 720p, 30fps), the audio recording is pretty bad.. it picks up noise from the camera, such as auto focusing and IS sounds.. so if u want quiet video, u'll have to manual focus. thats my only problem with the 500Ds HD video recording

actually...is faster and easier to manual focus while using the video..

btw..i sold my 450d for 500d.... really depend on ur style or for my case..is more of personality.... i'm a lazy fellow so..having a 2 in 1 function saves me a lot..n i can use my own lenses....
cheers!:)

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies.:thumbsup:

btw, is there much quality difference during video mode inbetween p&s camera and aps-c camera? (say any ixus/powershot sx1is-hd and 500d).

anybody have both or compared before ???

btw, is there much quality difference during video mode inbetween p&s camera and aps-c camera? (say any ixus/powershot sx1is-hd and 500d).

video resolution, bitrate and eventually choice of compression as panasonic started something by giving a pns the choice of h.264 or avchd. And also a choice to record at anything other then .mov which requires additional steps to edit on pc. There are also time limits on video recording on a camera.

take into account also that with dslr you are able to change lens, taking videos using lens with very large apertures will give you a very shallow depth of field thus having the effect of focusing selectively on subjects, like those we see on films done using professional video cams, i doubt if a point and shoot video can do that..as for me, i don't mind having that auto focus sound picked up by the camera as I usually edit my videos and put a background music on it..

both are good options.

Unless u have a superzoom lens like 18-270 which is 28.8-432mm in 35mm, 500d won't be as versatile as compared to tz7's 25-300mm.
Quality wise, tz7 is a decent performer if you have the right expection. Tz7 can record up to 1280 x 720 whereas 500d can record 1920 x 1080. HD movie chew up memory space extremely quick so u need to make sure you have enough memory card and hdd space for the clips.

Thanks all for your kind replies and information.

:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.