Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

Normally lens dun perform the best wide open, that why normally dun shot wide open, will usually use f/2.8 or above. And at f/1.4, a slight movement may cause the subject to be out of the focus.
Taking group shot will be better to use a much higher aperture value.

:( thats suck indeed. spending $$ buying a f/1.4 and could only use 2.8.. :( .anyway, i will try to take some shots w/o the filter. or is it becos of my camera not compactable to the lens ? i saw ppl uisng semi pro 60D. looks good on them. thank you

You should have read up before then.

Most lenses are not going to be sharp wide open. That's just how it is. People buy 50mm F/1.4 precisely so that they have the option to stop down a little to F/2.8 and get sharp images. You don't even have that option with say, kit lens, which can't even open to F/2.8.

How the lens looks at the camera should not matter to a photographer. Now to someone who wants the camera as a fashion accessory, yeah I guess...

thanks. yes, i dont usually shoot on tiny flower or i dun really do it. i was testing out the effect. i bought the lens two wks ago at funan it mall. brand new. i did my first try one on some outing shoots with people. dim corridor and outdoor shots. that's when i discovered having problem with sharpness. just yesterday, did another outing shoot with ppl at Chinese Garden. distance was like 2,3, 4 meter away, the facial was not sharp. i gave up and chg to regular 18-55mm. it turn out that the photos are sharper ! that's the reason why i went out today to a nearby little garden to try out again. to make sure it is not my mishandling that the pic is not sharp. and yes, i will heed your advise.

To test properly, you should run tests making sure that there is no handshake (either on tripod or on table top) and no subject movement.

Some copies of lenses have backfocusing issues, easily solved via calibration but I think you would have to go CSC.

oh, .. yup was there around 5 pm.. a gp of cosplayer.. :)

noted. thanks... should have bought 3rd party, cheaper.

thanks. appreciate your kindness. :) i will hang on to it.. knowing now those "singing praises" of F/1.4 sharpness which tamping me to buy.. i had to say as a novice photographer, a lesson learnt. cheers ~

Thanks, btw.. i am not blaming the lens. i have problem handling with it and that's why i am asking question. i've been through basic photography course conducted by Phocus Photography School. and had been taking photos for the past 1 year. Yes, i still consider myself novice photographer. :) Noted you points, yes, i will continue to pracitse hard handling and focus pt. thank you :)

thank you. will heed your advise :) it is just that i seen so many singing praises of F/1.4.. view some photos comparision.. Make me wonder why.. understood, it works like the telecom.. promise u the max internet speed but u reach it..

thank you. will heed your advise :) it is just that i seen so many singing praises of F/1.4.. view some photos comparision.. Make me wonder why.. understood, it works like the telecom.. promise u the max internet speed but u reach it..

The 50mm F/1.4 is still better than the other option from Canon i.e. 50mm F/1.8 or 1.7 , can't remember.

You gain a half-stop of speed and nicer bokeh, I don't know why you are unhappy with the lens. I think maybe you think that getting a DSLR is all about image quality but actually that's just part of the story:

- DSLRs allow the user to take photographs more comfortably and quickly with more intuitive adjustments and controls
- The f/1.4 allows you the possibility of actually getting a sufficiently exposed photograph with still better-quality than most compact cameras even if wide open if the user technique is there (There is nothing worse than a sharp photo of a blurry concept, as some have said)
- DSLRs allow so much more flexibility through additional features, e.g. use of flash, etc.

I really would spend more time worrying about brushing up my own skills to get good shots rather than comparing X lens to Y lens as a photographer. There are people who do that, they are called lens reviewers and right now there's loads of them around. :bsmilie: If the lens is really so bad, then dump it, get another one. With Clubsnap's warped B&S market prices, you won't lose much money.

For your info, I've seen many good and sharp photographs out from the 50mm F/1.4 lens. I have also seen many good photographs out from the lowly kit lens. That is not to say that the 50mm lens is useless, but hey, lenses are dead, inanimate objects. You are alive and thinking. It is up to the photographer to make the most of whatever equipment he has and mold himself to bring out the best given any circumstance. Of course, through the years, I've seen many who prefer to keep thinking that the purchase of something that costs more would somehow make their photographs better. Better image quality, sure... But a boring photograph, sharp or not, is still a boring photograph. Cheers.

Last edited:
Yes, i did some read up, like 6 months ago .. however, the info i got on internet are all singing praises. guess i didn't dig deep enough to get real info.. i admit my mistake.. lesson learnt...

Er.. I dont mean the lens look good on the camera. what i meant is the photo quality looks good. sorry for the misunderstanding

You should have read up before then.

Most lenses are not going to be sharp wide open. That's just how it is. People buy 50mm F/1.4 precisely so that they have the option to stop down a little to F/2.8 and get sharp images. You don't even have that option with say, kit lens, which can't even open to F/2.8.

How the lens looks at the camera should not matter to a photographer. Now to someone who wants the camera as a fashion accessory, yeah I guess...

To test properly, you should run tests making sure that there is no handshake (either on tripod or on table top) and no subject movement.

Some copies of lenses have backfocusing issues, easily solved via calibration but I think you would have to go CSC.

Thanks, i have doubt becos even in speed of 1/1000, the pic is blurr.. i did test on people.. in low light enviroment, it works very well.. however, i notice the facial is not sharp. i did focus on the eye..

The 50mm F/1.4 is still better than the other option from Canon i.e. 50mm F/1.8 or 1.7 , can't remember.

You gain a half-stop of speed and nicer bokeh, I don't know why you are unhappy with the lens. I think maybe you think that getting a DSLR is all about image quality but actually that's just part of the story:

- DSLRs allow the user to take photographs more comfortably and quickly with more intuitive adjustments and controls
- The f/1.4 allows you the possibility of actually getting a sufficiently exposed photograph with still better-quality than most compact cameras even if wide open if the user technique is there (There is nothing worse than a sharp photo of a blurry concept, as some have said)
- DSLRs allow so much more flexibility through additional features, e.g. use of flash, etc.

I really would spend more time worrying about brushing up my own skills to get good shots rather than comparing X lens to Y lens as a photographer. There are people who do that, they are called lens reviewers and right now there's loads of them around. :bsmilie: If the lens is really so bad, then dump it, get another one. With Clubsnap's warped B&S market prices, you won't lose much money.

For your info, I've seen many good and sharp photographs out from the 50mm F/1.4 lens. I have also seen many good photographs out from the lowly kit lens. That is not to say that the 50mm lens is useless, but hey, lenses are dead, inanimate objects. You are alive and thinking. It is up to the photographer to make the most of whatever equipment he has and mold himself to bring out the best given any circumstance. Of course, through the years, I've seen many who prefer to keep thinking that the purchase of something that costs more would somehow make their photographs better. Better image quality, sure... But a boring photograph, sharp or not, is still a boring photograph. Cheers.

I am not happy about the lens. it is just that i have some problem with the sharpness. i wish to clarify. i took photos of ppl and now knowing the facial are blurr..
Yes, indeed.. i try it in low light (dim corridor) it works very well..

Sorry, a little bit of myself. i took up basic photography course with Phocus photography school on Nov 2011. had been taking photos of ppl, scenery for the past one year, (over 10,000 photos) till today, i still consider myself as novice photographer becos i feel i have much to learn. i did some research on F1.4, 6 mth prior b4 buying it. Guess i did not seach hard enough..

i dont fancy "expensive" lens... I don't think i can affort to "burn" money.. that's the first reason y i started off with ameuter DSLR (600D) as labelled by Canon Camera Procducts. and takes me months to think carefully b4 finally decided to buy the 50mm = =

Thanks you so much for your enrichment comments. very useful info. :) lesson learnt.

i thanks everyone here who are so nice and kind, making the effort to explain and giving alot of helpful/useful information. I salute (*bow) to everyone. Cheers~

i thanks everyone here who are so nice and kind, making the effort to explain and giving alot of helpful/useful information. I salute (*bow) to everyone. Cheers~

Do remember you can always rent and test before buying...

as others have said above ...

also another point...... test the lens out to confirm if its really DoF bokeh or something wrong with the lens

SINCE you just bought the lens, you will have warranty

U can and should test for possible backfocussing problem for your peace of mind.
Canon Back Focus Problem - IMPROVED!

Last edited:
dteoyk said:
Thanks, i have doubt becos even in speed of 1/1000, the pic is blurr.. i did test on people.. in low light enviroment, it works very well.. however, i notice the facial is not sharp. i did focus on the eye..

U shot at wide open? f/1.4? Always?
To me, I feel canon image tend to be a bit softer compare to others.

600d is a capable camera, 50 1.4 is a great piece of glass, I like the contrast, used it on the 20d years back. PMed you

Try to use one of your friend's 1Ds class camera that has a EC screen fitted with rangefinder split focusing screen.

Use the split image to focus the 50mm f1.4 lens on a lens test chart. Shoot at f1.4.

as others have said above ...

also another point...... test the lens out to confirm if its really DoF bokeh or something wrong with the lens

SINCE you just bought the lens, you will have warranty

U can and should test for possible backfocussing problem for your peace of mind.
Canon Back Focus Problem - IMPROVED!

Wow.. thanks. very useful info !!! ^_^
Noted, will check with Canon.