pls help. any good wide angle lenses for scenery taking?

Jin80s

Feb 10, 2010
pls help. need 2 get 1 good wide angle lenses for scenery taking. as i going europe in jan 2011. n is it good 2 get 1 with WR? n im using K-7.

Last edited:
pls help. need 2 get 1 good wide angle lenses for scenery taking. as i going europe in jan 2011. n is it good 2 get 1 with WR? n im using K-7.

sigma 10-20
pentax 12-24 (available at orient photo $1200)

I think the standard kit (or equivalent) that starts at 16mm, 17mm, or 18mm is good enough for scenery.

I think the standard kit (or equivalent) that starts at 16mm, 17mm, or 18mm is good enough for scenery.

To me Europe is a bit different. Certainly deserving in investing in a UWA like a 10-20 or 12-24mm unless pano stitching skill is good.
Imagine wide vistas, grand palace/villa entrances, magnificent cathedrals, gothic interiors. They just scream for UWA use.

One of the reasons why I still keep my 10-20 despite having the DA15.

wah nice collection pinhole..
how do u compare 10-20 to 12-24?

wah nice collection pinhole..
how do u compare 10-20 to 12-24?

Never had a 12-24. Sorry. :embrass:

I'd advise to get the 12-24 over the 10-20 though. Slightly smaller and better built (exterior); Pentax quality and SMC. My Sigma was very badly FF (not usable) right out of box. Got it fixed and its wonderful now, but I don't trust it 100% till this day. Got a chance to ask my bro to try getting a Sigma 50/1.4 in HK just a few days back. Another OOF copy :thumbsd: (did not get it of course)

IMHO, if you are cost conscious or have a budget, the Sigma is still a good and viable option. Just need to physical test out the copy at the shop and make sure it is good.

Too bad the Tokina 11-16mm is not available in Pentax mount, its a good sharp lens. And distortion control is quite good.

I saw online that the Tokina 12-24 is the same as the Pentax 12-24, just OEM for Pentax by Tokina. But dunno true or not? If it is true then Pentax users are paying 50% more since the Tokina version is only $850 or something.

Too bad the Tokina 11-16mm is not available in Pentax mount, its a good sharp lens. And distortion control is quite good.

I saw online that the Tokina 12-24 is the same as the Pentax 12-24, just OEM for Pentax by Tokina. But dunno true or not? If it is true then Pentax users are paying 50% more since the Tokina version is only $850 or something.

tokina no smc... makes quite a difference... pentax contrast is a notch better... but the built qulaity on the tokina is very very good...

what about the extra 2mm on sigma?
is it more useful that the pentax?

what about the extra 2mm on sigma?
is it more useful that the pentax?

Its always good to have the option to go wider.
We'd all want 180deg or 360deg rectilinear :bsmilie:

ATM, its a trade off between these 2 lens options.

Its always good to have the option to go wider.
We'd all want 180deg or 360deg rectilinear :bsmilie:

ATM, its a trade off between these 2 lens options.

For 360deg = 1/2 landscape rectinlinear + 1/2 shots of your retina (eyes)?

Haha

Just my opinion. I find the distortion on the sigma too bad. Read review that even software cannot correct it. And plus Sigma is ban by me, cos of the crappy service/excuse they made to me on the 50mm macro I had, which despite being less than 3 years old, cannot be fixed because they said they have EOL the replacement part needed to fix the front focusing issue.

Just my opinion. I find the distortion on the sigma too bad. Read review that even software cannot correct it. And plus Sigma is ban by me, cos of the crappy service/excuse they made to me on the 50mm macro I had, which despite being less than 3 years old, cannot be fixed because they said they have EOL the replacement part needed to fix the front focusing issue.

liddat die2 must get the pentax 12-24mm from OP. only one set left and at $1200 :think: must put the home minister in good mood tonite :bsmilie:

liddat die2 must get the pentax 12-24mm from OP. only one set left and at $1200 :think: must put the home minister in good mood tonite :bsmilie:

:bigeyes:how?!?!?!

thanks for the feed back guys. so i guess now is only pentax 12-24mm rite? is it really only left 1 in sg for sales?

thanks for the feed back guys. so i guess now is only pentax 12-24mm rite? is it really only left 1 in sg for sales?

Depends on your needs/wants ...

The sigma 10-20 i no doubt still a fantastic lens and abit cheaper the the pentax.

I would reccomend the pentax but i would most likely buy the sigma for myself :sweat:

Sigma is also releasing a new 8-16mm :devil:

how much is tat Sigma 10-20mm like? i heard is like $1080. if is only another $120 more. then i go for pentax. but when is the new Sigma out???? ;p

tokina no smc... makes quite a difference... pentax contrast is a notch better... but the built qulaity on the tokina is very very good...
Yea but SMC coating costs $400 more?

Depends on your needs/wants ...

The sigma 10-20 i no doubt still a fantastic lens and abit cheaper the the pentax.

I would reccomend the pentax but i would most likely buy the sigma for myself :sweat:

Sigma is also releasing a new 8-16mm :devil:

Yes, I use the Sigma 10-20mm, and am happy with it. It is about $800+; there is another similar one at f3.5 (cost a lot more). I believe the 8-16mm already out; but the price is rather high. No brainer going for it; but note the distortion, as this is not your normal lens, but an UWA, and a pretty good one too!

Last edited: