Pls Enlighten me!!!! Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebyap30

Jul 25, 2004
River Valley
Hi All,

Just keen to know more....what are the main diff between Skylight, UV and C-PL filters.

Have all 3 filters for diff lens... C-PL filter need not mention cos' gives very saturated colours and reduces reflections...'

Pls enlighten me on UV and Skylight filters as both are clear filters...which one is more expensive????

Pls advice!!! Thks in advance :)

C-Plr cuts away reflections and non-linear light waves. It is used mainly to boost saturation of colours, very different from the purpose of UV and Skylight filters. Very much more expensive too ;p

UV filters cut away light in the Ultra-Violet spectrum that causes pictures to be less contrasty. However, most people use it nowadays for protection of the front element of lens because they do not have any adverse effect on images (apart from exposure being cut by a tiny bit of a stop)

Skylights are pretty much similar to UV filters, but they have a tinge of warm yellow cast on the pic. Less used as compared to UV filters due to this factor. Unless this is what you are looking for.

Hope I helped here. Do try to read up more on the internet or search for similar post here on CS. :)

Splutter said:
C-Plr cuts away reflections and non-linear light waves. It is used mainly to boost saturation of colours, very different from the purpose of UV and Skylight filters. Very much more expensive too ;p

UV filters cut away light in the Ultra-Violet spectrum that causes pictures to be less contrasty. However, most people use it nowadays for protection of the front element of lens because they do not have any adverse effect on images (apart from exposure being cut by a tiny bit of a stop)

Skylights are pretty much similar to UV filters, but they have a tinge of warm yellow cast on the pic. Less used as compared to UV filters due to this factor. Unless this is what you are looking for.

Hope I helped here. Do try to read up more on the internet or search for similar post here on CS. :)

Hi Splutter,

That is a pretty good description....
Would I be right thinking that Skylight filters are only used with film cameras ? Digital doesn't require it ?

Cheers :)

I wouldn't go as far to say skylights are not used on digital cameras. Some people use them all the while because the lenses they own are on the cool side. For instance, I find Nikon lenses to be on the cooler side as compared to Canon (no flame plz!!), so if a simple filter makes the image warmer, why not use it and not have to adjust WB in PS later? That said, many people do not even use any filters since filters are basically optical elements and will degrade image quality to a certain extent.

Splutter said:
I wouldn't go as far to say skylights are not used on digital cameras. Some people use them all the while because the lenses they own are on the cool side. For instance, I find Nikon lenses to be on the cooler side as compared to Canon (no flame plz!!), so if a simple filter makes the image warmer, why not use it and not have to adjust WB in PS later? That said, many people do not even use any filters since filters are basically optical elements and will degrade image quality to a certain extent.

Thanks Splutter,

Good point. I was not aware of the situation you mention of cool seeming lenses.

Personally I use a Canon 20D and have a UV filter for my lenses for protection purposes only.

I do have CP filters for them that I use for some daytime shots also.

Cheers.

Pablo said:
Thanks Splutter,

Good point. I was not aware of the situation you mention of cool seeming lenses.

Personally I use a Canon 20D and have a UV filter for my lenses for protection purposes only.

I do have CP filters for them that I use for some daytime shots also.

Cheers.

how much u got for your uv filter?

As usual, go to www.google.com type in B+W and search, the second results bring you to a website where it will show you all the filters. There is a B+W handbook on filters of all kind so read up and try yourself which you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.