pls be nice n smile to fellow photographers

Status
Not open for further replies.

boen

Jan 19, 2006
ponggol 21
yestersday i was at clifford pier witness and reflecting on its former glory as our historic "RED LIGHT" wharf ending its days serving thousands or millions of singaporean.
as usual, taking photos and just slowly sit and look at the place... other fellow photographers are around too..taking photos here n there.. when i smile to them.. either they look back or just look at me and walk away without smiling back, like i'm someone intruding their territory.
Or is it just singaporean culture being very stressed by the work and other stuff that took away our smile too?
Just some thought in my mind..thats all.

Those offended by this post, pls just press the "back" icon.. dun post unncessary rude comments.:sweat:

Cheers..:lovegrin:

is this your 1st time in singapore?

well if you smile at me, i'll def smile back at you
maybe a cup of coffee at the nearby coffee stall

cheer up, not everyone is friendly

boen said:
yestersday i was at clifford pier witness and reflecting on its former glory as our historic "RED LIGHT" wharf ending its days serving thousands or millions of singaporean.
as usual, taking photos and just slowly sit and look at the place... other fellow photographers are around too..taking photos here n there.. when i smile to them.. either they look back or just look at me and walk away without smiling back, like i'm someone intruding their territory.
Or is it just singaporean culture being very stressed by the work and other stuff that took away our smile too?

Those offended by this post, pls just press the "back" icon.. dun post unncessary rude comments.:sweat:

I dont think this has anything to do with photography, its more the attitude of the average singaporean, myself not being one i tend to smile at people when they walk past and you get that "eye contact" but you never really see singaporeans doing the same. Maybe they just dont care or they are trying to be rude, who knows?

From an outsiders point of view singaporeans do come across as rude and inconsiderate.

Of course this is a very generalistic statement and many people will not fit into it, however it is my observation.

Those offended just do what boen has said and click back

haha..
i'm a singaporean...
just hope everyone can be less tense.. less stress then can enjoy what u doing.
was talking to the security guy at clifford pier, he showed me where to take the best shot, some memorable icons of clifford pier...and hes a photographer in his younger days too.
when u smile, u can rewards of some kind..for my instance i get to know his story of working in the pier for 30years and seeing his sad expression when he talk about leaving the pier is something that makes me feel connected to the Hong Deng Ma Taou...(Red light wharf)

weird, but i tend to smile at other photographers whom might be covering the same event...:)

dragos said:
weird, but i tend to smile at other photographers whom might be covering the same event...:)
haha.. maybe i was unluncky then.. haiz..
:bsmilie:

boen said:
.. when i smile to them.. either they look back or just look at me and walk away without smiling back, like i'm someone intruding their territory.

You must understand that photography is a stressful and frustrating pursuit. You've got to get the compostion right, lighting must be dramatic and the concept has to be interesting, original and profound. Where got mood to smile smile?

I have never met a photographer with a smiling face. :bsmilie:

Sion said:
You must understand that photography is a stressful and frustrating pursuit. You've got to get the compostion right, lighting must be dramatic and the concept has to be interesting, original and profound. Where got mood to smile smile?

looks like you are mixing with the wrong crowd

I always find it surprising and refreshing when someone smiles at a stranger in Singapore. If that happens to me, I smile back, say 'Hi', and wave.

As for photographers ... hmm ... once when I was walking around Chinatown b4 CNY, a group of photographers were coming round the corner. I had my cam around my wrist. As I lifted it to shoot, they were trying to see what model, make etc it was (may cam is usually not easily id-ed). I guess they must have been very dissappointed because it had a humongous lens-hood mounted on, so they must have thought it was some super cam. I distinctly heard one guy tell another 'Lumix FZ10'. They shook their heads a little and immediately turned away.

I'd still smile, then move on to spend some quality time chatting with a kopitiam ah-pek or road sweeper.

I was at One Fullerton for lunch yesterday. Want to smile at ppl over at 'Ang Teng' but see no one. :) Maybe its the weather. Damn warm last afternoon. :sweat:

Sion said:

me too..
hoping to see one smiling face soon.. haha,
i still believe a stressless mind produces good pic as well, if not better..
then time i smile at u ok.. haha:lovegrin:

afbug said:
I was at One Fullerton for lunch yesterday. Want to smile at ppl over at 'Ang Teng' but see no one. :) Maybe its the weather. Damn warm last afternoon. :sweat:
hot and cloudy..
in the evenig got some photographers.. the security guard says in the morning got a lot woah.

i wont smile back unless ur a girl :bsmilie:

Feinwerkbau said:
I always find it surprising and refreshing when someone smiles at a stranger in Singapore. If that happens to me, I smile back, say 'Hi', and wave.

As for photographers ... hmm ... once when I was walking around Chinatown b4 CNY, a group of photographers were coming round the corner. I had my cam around my wrist. As I lifted it to shoot, they were trying to see what model, make etc it was (may cam is usually not easily id-ed). I guess they must have been very dissappointed because it had a humongous lens-hood mounted on, so they must have thought it was some super cam. I distinctly heard one guy tell another 'Lumix FZ10'. They shook their heads a little and immediately turned away.

I'd still smile, then move on to spend some quality time chatting with a kopitiam ah-pek or road sweeper.
it is so nice to see someone smile back, if not smile at u 1st, it really picks up my day.
but personally i dun like to go out with a big group of photographers to shoot.. very distracting and feels funny. 1 or 2 is good, if not walk alone can see more things clearly.:wink:

boen said:
hot and cloudy..
in the evenig got some photographers.. the security guard says in the morning got a lot woah.

When i look over, it was empty leh. Was there at lunch time. Din bring camera. :confused: But its hot, a bit hard to smile also. :bsmilie:

i was out at labrador park the other day when i was approaced by a foreigner who asked me what was i doing there...at least he smiles, bothers to shakes hand and introduces himself!

dragos said:
I talk to them too!!

boen said:

I dont this is only happens in Singapore. It happens else where too.

Actually i'd prefer to think that hobbyist photographers have no reason to be stress.

If this hobby makes you stress, quit it!

It's just taking pictures, and more than often, (for my case) beautiful pictures come out from my cam when i'm shooting in a cheery smiley mood!
Well probably you will be stress if you are shooting for magazine or a paid job, that is fully acceptable.
Singaporeans... I don't know why stress is like a very common thing we incorporate in life.. towards everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.