Pls advise on suitable flash and equipments for handicrafts photograhpy^^

kumokoyun

Dec 14, 2010
Hi pple,

I am a new DSLR user with a Canon 50D. Currently has a 18-200mm and a 50mm 1.8 lens. I am pretty interested in product photography for handmade jewellery, like those which are suitable for blogshops.

I am pretty unsure about which flash and equipments will be suitable although I did read up on flash photography. Please give some advice...

Thanks.

1st, u probably u need to get a flash, 430EXII or a lamp for your light source.

2nd, u need to create an environment/backdrop for your shoot.

an example can be a DIY lightbox as seen below

lightbox.jpg

or a more intricate setup

2367615640_2eb8b5d479.jpg

though personally i would prefer a short macro lens, works wonder in showing the intricate details of jewelery. :)

Last edited:
Hey, thanks alot for the info.

eh... will any type of external flash do? or is it the more costly types will be better?
and are close-up filters good enough? ^^

Hey, thanks alot for the info.

eh... will any type of external flash do? or is it the more costly types will be better?
and are close-up filters good enough? ^^

if you have budget constraint, one or 2 lamps would suffice.. as for lens, what you have is adequate... try shooting out with them before thinking of any further purchases... :)

try not to BBB!

TS, this is another approach:

Light Tent - Cost $50-70
TTL External flash - which you can use for other situations.
TTL flash cord - Cost $40+
Your 18-200 lens will do.

Shoot at F8 - F16. Flash mounted on the flash cord which is in turn mounted on the plastic stand that came with the flash. Flash head pointed 50-70 deg upwards. Auto TTL mode. Flash placed inside the tent.

I used this and this is the result. (Tamron 17-50 @ 29mm, F13, 1/60, ISO800, SB600 on flash cord tilted 60 deg upward, TTL flash mode, camera left, inside the tent).

5412233075_210ecb76db.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all your advices... I will definitely go take a look at those equipments listed ^^