Pls advise on computer system upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuffRuff

Jan 10, 2007
opp. East Coast Park
I wonder if it is worthwhile to upgrade my PC desktop?
My com is on pentium 4 and although I have upgraded it to 2 Gb RAM some time ago (max RAM the MB uses), it is still very slow and laggy.
Someone told me it is not worthwhile to upgrade my desktop as the new technology requires me to buy almost all the parts (except less HDD and CD-ROM). Is it so?
I am on a budget so Apple is out of range for now, and my com is really too slow for me to do what I want to do without much frustration and waste of waiting time. Sighhh...

Can someone recommend a system upgrade (what kind of specific parts) that would enable me to do my tasks without lag. I need a system that can be efficiently used to edit photos in PS (including RAW), open multiple internet browser windows/tabs, open MS word, edit videos, possibly play TV via TV tuner or videos.... all at the same time. Good if you can give me an estimate cost too.

By the way, I would like a system that can be used for the next 5 years (long term)... something that will not become obsolete so soon. Do I need to get a high end one?

Can you also recommend what graphics card I need? I don't do any gaming so I wouldn't need those super power and fast ones. But I will need it for video and photoshop editing, and watching videos and TV. So I need something in the middle ground and I'm not sure which is the most optimised for my uses.

The thing I am trying to find here is the best parts for my needs - not overkill, but yet is a stellar performer for my needs.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Hi , im using the mention system below. Not so extreme, not so expensive.

- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 3.0Ghz
- MSI P45 Neo3-FR
- 4GB RAM
- ASUS EN9500GT HDMI
- ( My own HDD )
- Samsung 22x CD writer
- Andyson 500W P.S.U
- Cooler Master 690 Casing
- Cooler Master V8
- OCZ twin fan memory cooler

at a price of $970.

1_854913072l.jpg

Someone told me AMD is value for money. Is AMD good? Is AMD as stable as Intel?
What are the pros and cons of these 2?

For motherboard, someone told me Asus is good and very reliable. Is this true? So far, heard a lot of MSI MB kaput after a few years. Mine kaput just shortly after warranty period was over... :angry:

For graphics card, what are the pros and cons of Nividia vs ATI. Which is better, if there is such thing? Anything else I should know?

Both AMD and Intel are good and stable; right now, AMD's quad-cores are very very good value for money.

All your questions are answered ad nauseum all over the web, on every hardware review site. Can do a little research on your own or not?

But here, I'll spoonfeed you a bit:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=1093205

Hi , im using the mention system below. Not so extreme, not so expensive.

I have the same casing as you...

But AMD Phenom II 955, 4GB DDR3, 2x1TB Seagate in RAID, Ati 4890. All cost about 1300.

Get an i7 core and a Nvidia 1GB card if you don't mind spending

DIY system is good provided you know what you want and where to get the cheap and good stuff, then u must know how to setup and config. When system crash, you need to troubleshoot it. IF you get to "pre-assamble" version such as HP, ACER, etc.. you will save on those "assemble, install os, troubleshooting" and not to mention parts warranty. Warranty enable you few more years of good night sleep cos you confirm will be "safe" from spending more $$.

My CPU cost me around $1150. Core2Quad 2.83 Ghz, 4 GB DDR2 Ram, Asus P5Q mobo and a MSI 9600GTgraphic card. HDD is 320 GB.

When buying a new com, there will always be temptation to get the best or most expensive one. But i think its important to consider ur budget and see what you can get with it.

Last edited:
ever thought of spending slightly more to get a pre-built branded com like Dell HP etc etc? If it's for fun and you just want to get into these rig stuffs, no problem with DIY, but if it's just for the sake of a new computer which you'll just buy and use, it's much less a hassle to get a branded pre-built com. At least if something goes wrong, all you need to do is send in for warranty rather than doing some pretty fuustrating diagnostics.

ever thought of spending slightly more to get a pre-built branded com like Dell HP etc etc? If it's for fun and you just want to get into these rig stuffs, no problem with DIY, but if it's just for the sake of a new computer which you'll just buy and use, it's much less a hassle to get a branded pre-built com. At least if something goes wrong, all you need to do is send in for warranty rather than doing some pretty fuustrating diagnostics.

I think some people rather do diagnostics than send it in for service under pretty frustrating warranty

do u need so many fans ? do you OC? more fans very noisy one.......

You need to move heat out of the system, so depending on how much stuff you have in the case, how intensive you use the hardware, will determine if you need more fans. Think they were just trying to mention how exapandable the case is.

DIY system is good provided you know what you want and where to get the cheap and good stuff, then u must know how to setup and config. When system crash, you need to troubleshoot it. IF you get to "pre-assamble" version such as HP, ACER, etc.. you will save on those "assemble, install os, troubleshooting" and not to mention parts warranty. Warranty enable you few more years of good night sleep cos you confirm will be "safe" from spending more $$.

No, it is not for fun. I'm getting DIY to save money. I do think you can get better parts with DIY at a better price than branded, complete coms.
I'm on a budget but I want to get something that is fast and will not become obsolete in the next 5 years.
Are those branded coms customiseable? As in, if I want to change any parts, will I be able to do so? Sometimes for those branded coms, it is very hard to do this, which is something I don't like. I wish to be able to change parts as I like, e.g. I may need to upgrade hdd to bigger one, etc.

Last edited:
All your questions are answered ad nauseum all over the web, on every hardware review site. Can do a little research on your own or not?

But here, I'll spoonfeed you a bit:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=1093205

I wonder if you had not read my first post fully, had not understood it, or it is not specific enough despite listing the exact tasks and requirements.

I am asking very specific qns, and I had been to hardwarezone and qr-zone before posting. The net will never provide very specific answers unless you ask a specific qn. All these stuff is very general. If you have been to the very link that you sent me, you will find at the very top line: "A PC Buyer’s Guide that is everything to everyone is simply not possible." Even they acknowledge this.

Also, I do not fully trust net reviews as they may be biased. I am much less likely to get biased feedback here. Also, I prefer to hear about the experiences of real users rather than testers. Well, thanks for 'spoonfeeding' me, but you gave the wrong food; I would have eaten that food if I wanted to already.

By the way, I would like a system that can be used for the next 5 years (long term)... something that will not become obsolete so soon. Do I need to get a high end one?

Even a CPU that cost 10k to build will most likely become obsolete after 5 years, that's the bad thing about technology. Either that, or it'll become a machine with below average specs after 5 years. If you wish for your system to stay relevant, you'll most probably have to upgrade bit by bit along the way

Even a CPU that cost 10k to build will most likely become obsolete after 5 years, that's the bad thing about technology. Either that, or it'll become a machine with below average specs after 5 years. If you wish for your system to stay relevant, you'll most probably have to upgrade bit by bit along the way

Yah, understand, will need to upgrade some parts along the way. My current system has been in use for 5 years and I have changed and upgraded some parts. What I mean is not for the main parts to become obsolete in less than 5 years and for them to last... my CPU is still working fine after 5 years. In fact, my system is working fine, except that it is slow and if would be fine for me to use if not for photoshop and website making. Normal usage like internet and word processor use is fine.

When I built my PC since '94, I like it to be a bit future-proof. Meaning my setup today will not be obselete b4 18mths time.

I look at to platform as a basis of my criteria. 1st is the mainboard and second is the OS technological evolution, so-called.

Jump to 2009 we have a few hardware platforms to consider. Let's split based on Intel and AMD as almost all other sub-system are similar, eg PCI-E slots, SATA interface .....etc.

Intel is split into 2 groups. CPU compatible with LGA775 sockets( Pentium D, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, Core 2 Extreme) and the LGA1366 sockets(Core i7 and Core i7 Extreme).

The LGA775 platforms runs on chipsets up to X48 series. For info this platform (CPU+chipset) up to Intel QX9770 End of Life since Q2 of 2009, will be obselete in the near future, in otherwards one cannot upgrade the CPU as production is at end.

The LGA1366 platform is the current for Intel. By Q3 2009 Intel will launch a LGA1156 CPU - Core i5, as usual these cannot be used on mainboards used by the Core i7.

So that's with Intel, when they develop a new CPU it means you need to get a new mainboard as well.

AMD strategy is different. Their AM2, AM2+ and AM3 CPU are mostly compatible between them. But rule of thumb, newer CPU are more likely to be backward compatible with the previous generation socket. Eg, AM3 CPU Phenom II X4 can use AM2+ based mainboards. Do checkout the mainboard website for compatiblity.

I'm currently running a 780G chipset based mainboard which is a AM2+ based board. I could replace my CPU to AM3 based one anytime. AMD intends to maintain these compatiblity until mid 2011 when the GPU on CPU chip rolls out.

Anyway now Intel, AMD and even Nvidia is designing a new CPU integrating a GPU.

Ok, the other platform criteria is OS. XP,Vista,Windows 7, 32bit or 64bit or Linux based OS. All depends on your apps usage. I could give my take but then this post will be too long then.

Sorry for long post and what I wrote might give you more headache now. But an AMD based platform with a 4800 series GPU is more than good enough, for me, for next 18 months.

Last edited:
I'm currently running a 780G chipset based mainboard which is a AM2+ based board. I could replace my CPU to AM3 based one anytime. AMD intends to maintain these compatiblity until mid 2011 when the GPU on CPU chip rolls out.

Anyway now Intel, AMD and even Nvidia is designing a new CPU integrating a GPU.

Ok, the other platform criteria is OS. XP,Vista,Windows 7, 32bit or 64bit or Linux based OS. All depends on your apps usage. I could give my take but then this post will be too long then.

Sorry for long post and what I wrote might give you more headache now. But an AMD based platform with a 4800 series GPU is more than good enough, for me, for next 18 months.

Thanks a lot, greenieeadi. Your post has been most helpful. Don't worry about long post; you can share more if you like.

Future-proof is impt for me too, as I mentioned. So it seems that AMD is more future-proof and it is also more value for money when I compared the prices. Can I ask, why do those branded computers always use Intel?

What is GPU? Any idea when will this CPU integrating GPU will come out? Btw, know if these hardware parts are cheaper at the shows?

For OS, I'm currently on WinXP but I intend to change to Windows 7 in future, prolly 64 bit if my system can support. So prolly something that can support both XP and Windows 7 will be good for me?

What is your system like?

Another thing, I notice that my com gets slower and slower each day that I do not reboot. Is this beacuse of the sypware it is accumulating or what? I don't think Mac has this problem and this alone is greatly tempting me to get a Mac, only that I can't afford it now. :( Does this happen to you too, or is it cos my system is too old and slow?

You go google type 'intel is fined billions for anti competitive practices' then you will know why everywhere is selling intel based comps.. Basically intel paid the retailers cold hard cash if they carry only intel products..

Status
Not open for further replies.