Pls advise e grainess ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

West_ray

Feb 10, 2003
Yishun
galleries.photonx.org.
hi guys ... i scanned my BW neg and here's the result ... actually i'm quite shock with grains ... i'm not sure whether it's is consider normal for tat kinda film n developer that i'm using.

I've created a temp Online album .... pls let me know is everything "normal" under Full view ?? or it is too far grainy ...

Note: I did not crop or resize any photos, as i only want to know the acceptable of grainess rather than the composition of the photos.

the details:
film:Tri-X 400
developer: Iford Ifosol S
Time: 10 mins (as instructed) @ 20 C

Note: Temp tends to increase throughout my developing period ...

Thanks ....

Yeah.. what's wrong?

oh ..... nothing nothing .... as i said ... it's my 1st time ... so dunno whether the level of grainess of the photos are "normal" or not ... tat's y i neeed to ask u all

eh ... thanks guy ...

Scanned b&w film will look more grainy than it actually is. It is also a iso 400 film developed in ilfosol s, so grain could be more obvious as the developer was meant more for slower film. But your scans look quite ok to me. If you print it the traditional b&w darkroom method, the grains should be quite alright.

Gunjack said:
Scanned b&w film will look more grainy than it actually is. It is also a iso 400 film developed in ilfosol s, so grain could be more obvious as the developer was meant more for slower film. But your scans look quite ok to me. If you print it the traditional b&w darkroom method, the grains should be quite alright.

hmm ... so u mean tat iford ifosol s is meant for slower film ... but how to tell whether a developer is meant for either higher or slower film? i couldnt find any on iford's site ...

You may want to try pouring in the chemicals at 18 degrees. dont invert, but swirl the tank for 10 seconds every minutes.

vader said:
You may want to try pouring in the chemicals at 18 degrees. dont invert, but swirl the tank for 10 seconds every minutes.

if i place the tank into a small pail with ice water, does it maintain the temp? will it works ?

actually, i will add ice until the temp becomes 18 degrees. ok, say your tank is 600ml, i will mix the chem and water until 520ml, then add ice to make it until 600ml.

why 18 degrees?? when you pour in the chem at 20 degrees, it will rise until approx 23 degrees in a short while due to the chem reaction. as you are unable to keep the temp constantly at 20 degrees throughout the dev time, it'll be a better way. try before you pour the film dev away and pour the fixer, test the temp to see how much it goes up at the end of the dev time.(just for your own info lah)

Status
Not open for further replies.