Pls advise about Dust in New Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

calvinlo

Dec 13, 2004
Yishun
Just got a 50-200mm f2.8 (non SWD) from a shop in Sim Lim a few days ago when the lens was on clearance sales. Because of the lighting in the shop, I didn't realise anything wrong with the lens until this afternoon, when I happen to look at the lens right under my study light, and then I saw a spot of dust inside the lens, near the centre at the front element. :bigeyes:

Now, I need your advise.

Having taken some shots with the lens, it seems that the spot does not appear when I shoot the sky using various f stops. But on the other hand, now that I notice the spot, there is just a nagging feeling within me that the lens is no longer 'perfect'.:think:

Since it's a new lens with warranty, I'm thinking of bringing it back to Olympus for servicing to remove this spot. what will you guys do if you are in my shoes? And do you know if such problem is covered under warranty?

Last edited:
can take a picture of the dust and show here..

you have to be aware that, if send for cleaning, you may return with 10 more dust.

Go back to SLS and ask for exchange.

You are not going to get any lenses that come without any dust. Live with it. You bought the lens to take photos, not to look at it with your study light.

Bring it down to Olympus with the receipt. They cleaned mine and returned it on the spot. All three 50-200 I've owned had dust in them. The latest one had a huge one behind the front element after one use.

Wah...u all are OCD. Obsessive compulsive. LOL!

I never ever check my lenses when I buy them new. I always assume QC is good. And have no complain about IQ problems either. U guys make me wonder if I should go back and check everything again. LOL!

I remember mine have 2 hugh dust, after sending in, osc remove the 2 hugh dust but created hundreds of dust more. I would only suggest that if u wanted to bring to osc, ask them send to Japan or china to service it. They have dust free room there.

Wah...u all are OCD. Obsessive compulsive. LOL!

I never ever check my lenses when I buy them new. I always assume QC is good. And have no complain about IQ problems either. U guys make me wonder if I should go back and check everything again. LOL!

They all came clean brand new. Maybe the 50-200 is a dust magnet. Too much of a coincidence for me.

So far in the last 20 years, the only two companies' lenses I bought new are PERFECT are : Leica and Hasselblad. No one else.

But if the little spec does not show up even at f22 under bright light, then there is nothing to be worried about. Though you will feel "buay song"...

If you send it in, it is like playing roulette... can be the beginning of another kind of nightmare. Remember, the lens were precision assembled in the factory, and the service centre is not the assembly line... I don't like the idea of my lens being opened up unless there is really really really a need to... else I can live with it...

Honestly, in no time, there will be dust on the elements... you aren't going to be shooting only in "clean rooms" right? Why bother with one speck?

Thanks for all your advises! Here's the picture of the spot...

DSC07627.jpg

DSC07628.jpg

Actually, I'm not sure whether it is dust at all because the thing actually seems to reflect light. Look more like small pieces of metal to me. :think:

But anyway, as I've mentioned earlier, it does not seem to show up at the moment. So I may just have to live with it, especially if sending it for servicing may actually may the thing worst.:(

Usually dust on the front element doesn't cause much problems ... but that spot ... if it reflects, it may be more than dust .. then in dark places with obvious beams of light you might see artifact ... :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.