Plexiglass / reflective surface - cheaper alternative?

TroyP

Dec 23, 2008
I want to lay down a 6' x 8' sheet of acrylic or similar onto my studio floor (on top of white paper). This is to achieve a reflection of the subject/model.
I went to Dama @ Ubi this afternoon, and the cheapest price for transparent acrylic sheet was $150 for 2m x 3m (3mm thick).
I only wanted 2.4m x 1.8m, and they don't sell smaller pieces or off-cuts, so I can't really justify that cost.

Are there any cheaper suppliers or materials to use for a large reflective surface? :dunno:

Many pieces of this?

Kimbap_on_a_aluminium_foil_sheet.jpg

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

why cant u just use a white instead?

since when did acrylic cost so ex from dama? or was transparent more costly?
i remembered it was around $40 only

why cant u just use a white instead?

since when did acrylic cost so ex from dama? or was transparent more costly?
i remembered it was around $40 only

Hmm, I thought it might have been cheaper than coloured. I'll ask for white price (less reflective, and less versatile).

2m x 3m acrylic sheet is the smallest size they sell, and clear is cheapest. 3mm thick is $150 :bigeyes:
White costs a little more than clear.

You can get those clear plastics used to wrap books. Get the thicker ones so that they don't crumple up that easily. Then put weights on the side to hold it down.

But only problem is, if your subject is a person wearing not-so-clean shoes, it will get scratched after a while.

I'm looking for it too, all quote me more than $100 :( i wanna put lights until it. Remember to inform me if u got good lobang!!!

I'm looking for it too, all quote me more than $100 :( i wanna put lights until it. Remember to inform me if u got good lobang!!!

I can get 4' x 6' for $60 (clear). $65 for white.
I have the business card at home, it's at Defu Lane 10.

The size is too small for me. I could get 2 pieces which would give me 6' x 8', but I don't want any line showing in between, it would be difficult and annoying to edit it out, especially for reflection. Considering it's still $120 for 2 pieces, I would definitely spend an extra $30 for a single piece.

Looks like I won't have it in time for my shoot this sunday :cry:

alternatively, you can pp the reflection in. May not work as well though.

For dama, it is cash and collect if they have it in their stock and may not be too late to get it today. You will probably need a lorry.

alternatively, you can pp the reflection in. May not work as well though.

For dama, it is cash and collect if they have it in their stock and may not be too late to get it today. You will probably need a lorry.

But I don't feel like paying $150, I was still trying to find a cheaper product/supplier/solution ;)
A single 2m x 2m piece of solid material is the ultimate solution. I won't be keeping it on the floor permanently, and that size can easily fit against my wall when i'm not using it (it's also about the max size I can get up the stairwell and through the doorways).

these are petro-chemical based products.......... if u have not noticed crude oil is at US$91 a barrel nowadays

4' x 6' x 3mm is $38 before gst
2 yrs back from dama :bsmilie:

4' x 6' x 3mm is $38 before gst
2 yrs back from dama :bsmilie:

They claim 7' x 10' x 3mm is their smallest now.

And i'm sure they don't use a very high % of alcohol to make this, let alone a whole barrel of the stuff :bsmilie:

I'm going to buy it, I don't think there's any other option :embrass:

BTW that's $150 ex GST, so $160.50, free delivery to me at Tampines.

TroyP said:
I'm going to buy it, I don't think there's any other option :embrass:

BTW that's $150 ex GST, so $160.50, free delivery to me at Tampines.

FYI, just thought I'd share my experience for anyone else thinking of getting acrylic sheet as reflective surface.

I bought a 2m x 2m x 3mm sheet of acrylic (cut from 2m x 3G piece). Damn it's so flexible, the hardest part is trying to stand it up against the wall when I'm not using it. 2m wide doesn't seem that practical for full body shoot, but I didn't realize it was flexible enough to bend around and fit in elevator. If I were to get another piece, I think 2m x 2.7m would be optimum (same width as my paper roll), but once again it's quite difficult to lean against a wall when not in use, and I think it will start to curdle if you don't keep it totally flat when stored away. Maybe 5mm is better, but of course more expensive and heavier.

I thought of an alternative, although I don't know who supplies it. Surely you can buy this sort of acrylic/plastic material on a roll like the 9' Savage paper rolls I have for the backdrop *hmm*