Please suggests a good camera - $700 SGD

Anirudh

Feb 24, 2014
Singapore
Hi All, I have to buy a new camera . My budget is around 700 SGD . Till now I was just using P & S .I just want good and clear photos .I use camera on regular basis but not as a professional photographer . Would be great if some one suggests me some good camera models . I am planning to buy new camera in the coming IT expo at the weekend.

Thanks

Hi All, I have to buy a new camera . My budget is around 700 SGD . Till now I was just using P & S .I want good photos as well as should not be complicated to handle because I use to travel alot.I use camera on regular basis but not as a professional photographer . Would be great if some one suggests me some good camera models . I am planning to buy new camera in the coming IT expo at the weekend.

Thanks

Last edited:
Buy a second hand Canon 550D and push it to the limit! (Approx SGD 300)

Hi All, I have to buy a new camera . My budget is around 700 SGD . Till now I was just using P & S .I just want good and clear photos .I use camera on regular basis but not as a professional photographer . Would be great if some one suggests me some good camera models . I am planning to buy new camera in the coming IT expo at the weekend.

Thanks

Older olympus pen series may be on sale during these shows. Any if them would be much better than your p&s. Or look at the NEX/alpha series.

I am not expert but from what you have written, you are just looking for a camera that will help to improve the quality of your photo as compared to your current P & S camera.

in this case, I would suggest you should not consider DSLR. They are bigger and more complicated. No point getting a DLSR and setting everything to auto. The P & S camera will eventually be obsoleted due the smart phones. Good luck.

EOS-M which is going off at S$499 with kit lens (18-55mm). Excellent image quality, large sensor, acceptable AF speed (with latest firmware) and very small. With the money you saved, you can get yourself a good tripod and a external flash (Speedlite 90EX) for your EOS-M.

Eos-M is just nice on your budget. you will enjoy it.

Actually... it is not true that it is not worth getting a camera in IT show, that said... it is also not true that it is worth it to get a camera in IT show. It all depends on the warranty (local or grey), freebies (sometime in IT show, they do give out freebies that aren't junk - example would be dry cabinet), and sometime (though rarely) IT show do have fabulous discount on a camera.

In the end, it still boils down to oneself doing his/her own homework and compare street pricing of a camera to those from IT show and the gifts that they gave out. Do remember that some of the gifts are standardized throughout different shops selling that particular camera because it was given by the brand and not the shop (for example, Canon promised to give a good tripod for every 700D bought, that gift will be given to any customers buying a legit set from any shop).

Thanks Rhino . If not from the IT expo then could you please suggest me some options here in Singapore .

Could you please suggests from other option in Singapore apart from IT Expo.

Thanks Silvermoon1407 your suggestion .

Thanks coolhirako for your suggestion.

Could you please suggests from other option in Singapore apart from IT Expo.
Check the price guides, there are lists of shops which are frequented by CS members. But do not mistake them for free consultation or charities, do your homework about models, features and prices.
Secondly: you don't need to respond to everyone here with a single line Thank you message. Makes the thread very cluttered.

TS, what's your expectation from your new camera?
what's the purpose of your camera?
would you explore camera feature?
would you mind to bring "heavier camera"?
do you mind to use fix lens?
then you'll know what u want...
you can go to recommended shop and quote the price from them.
it's slightly cheaper with IT show..or if u don't mind to take 2nd hand..it's better
just surf around in B&S

*my 2 cents*

Thanks Rhino . If not from the IT expo then could you please suggest me some options here in Singapore .

There are heaps of places where you can get your camera.

The shops that I frequent,

1) John3:16 - Funan
2) SLRR - Funan
3) Click! - Funan
4) TKfoto - Funan
5) Cathay Photo - Peninsula Singapore
6) Orient Photo - Sim Lim Square

Of course there is MScolor in Ang Mo Kio (I almost never visit that shop).

But like I say before, you need to do your own homework before buying anything. Call them up to give you a quote, or sent them emails, etc etc... compare the quote with what you can get from the IT shows then decide for yourself which one is better.

TS, for the camera any of the basic models of most companies should fit around ur budget. For buying I would suggest try out parisilk , always got best price from there. Regarding IT show if you dont mind display items just go there on last day closing time and if you lucky enough can get a deal which is much cheaper than buying second hand. for eg. few days back saw a nx300 kit + 55-200 for 580 (full warranty) and X100s going for 1199. But that all is by chance. Cheers n gud luck with ur purchase