Please recommend ...tripod, and flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

achanth

Dec 12, 2005
www.photography-xylec.blogspot.com
I would like to add the following to my arsenal of cameras:

i) a good tripod. The "free" tripod that came with my cameras are light, but not steady, off balance (one leg always slips; two of these free tripod behaved similarly). Head for the camera is so tight that when I try to set focus, it's off target most of the time.
...Please recommend: not the top range, but medium range and good (easy to set tripod for shooting).

ii) a good flash, that I can use either on Nikon, Canon or Olympus. This is to save cost, so that I don't have to have 3 types of flash. Please recommend : not the top range, but medium range but good brand.

Thanks.

I would like to add the following to my arsenal of cameras:

i) a good tripod. The "free" tripod that came with my cameras are light, but not steady, off balance (one leg always slips; two of these free tripod behaved similarly). Head for the camera is so tight that when I try to set focus, it's off target most of the time.
...Please recommend: not the top range, but medium range and good (easy to set tripod for shooting).

ii) a good flash, that I can use either on Nikon, Canon or Olympus. This is to save cost, so that I don't have to have 3 types of flash. Please recommend : not the top range, but medium range but good brand.

Thanks.

Wat's your budget on the tripod?

I'd suggest you consider a Manfrotto or Benro. Approx the range of say Manfrotto 190 series and a 486 or 488 ball head.

As for flash, you'd need to change the controller as each brand uses a different flash control system if you opt for a 3rd party flash such as Metz. But I'd reccomend that you choose one good one from one of the original makers.

wow why on earth do you have 3 different brands?

the manfrotto 190 range and 486/488 head range would be good. the price for both tripod and head would be approximately 350.

u can try benro, they r not too ex. since u mention that your free tripod, everytime u lock the position but the positino always run off correct? then when u buy your tripod and the head pls check the weight of your camera and lens setup, dont get a head that support the weight of your setup nicely, alway give it more.

I had a giotto head that was rated at 3kg load, and my setup approx 2kg+. the ball head tend to shift a little even after i locked it down as the ball head is alittle too small. yes it can hold the camera position but still shift a little after i lock the tightening nut and lift my hands off the camera and tripod. now i am using a no brand replicated benro head which is able to hold 8kg which, now my camera position dont shift after i locked and hands off.

as for flash gun, there is no known flash unit that any brand camera can use less those simple manual flash, u cant escape the need to buy a brand dedicated flash, if you want ttl

Thanks for your input. I will check with Cathay today and see physically which one I need. I like to take photos at high zoom, and the current tripod is always difficult to set with the correct zoom target. Moreover, when I set it up, always one of the legs will retract, making it even more frustrating.

Looks like I need to do more searching for flash.

Thanks, guys.

what you need to do is save save save
and buy a better tripod as it will last you at least a decade (if you don't abuse it)

pardon me for asking but why do you own 3 systems? :think:

With regard to your qns on flashes, i can tell you that a 3rd-party brand may not compliment a camera from another brand well.

Status
Not open for further replies.