Please recommend me a prosumer camera

whoope3

May 29, 2005
Hello all.. I'm in need of a prosumer with the following requirements;

1. Uses AA batteries
2. Large image sensor (as close to APS size as possible?)
3. Super macro capability
4. Large aperture, hopefully below f 2.0
5. Able to "live capture" using Capture One or other software (not really important, but great if possible)

Not really planning to consider DSLRs coz of the AA battery requirement, and an external grip will make the camera too bulky for my needs.

Thanks for any inputs!

Last edited:
1. Uses AA batteries - Limited here, you might need to go for an older Pentax DSLR
2. Large image sensor (as close to APS size as possible?) - That's not a prosumer anymore.
3. Super macro capability - All compact camera/prosumer cameras have this really.
4. Large aperture, hopefully below f 2.0 - On a small lens? Doesn't matter so much but why not.
5. Able to "live capture" using Capture One or other software (not really important, but great if possible) - You want Pro-level tethering from a compact? I've seen some Canon A-series do this though.

Best bet would be an S95 or G9.

Go to the large retailers, or shops like John 3:16 with your list.

Basically, I don't think there is any prosumer camera that fit that bill (might be wrong though).

The better prosumer in the market right now is,

Panasonic: LX5
Canon: S95 and G12 (Rashkae, it is G12 not G9:))
Nikon: P7000
Olympus: XZ-1 (very very fast lens - f1.8)

And I don't think there are any of the above mentioned prosumer camera that actually run on AA batteries (might be wrong again).

Finally, for the price of some of the prosumer camera, you can get a good mirrorless camera such as the Olympus EP-L1. This camera is a more versatile camera as compared to the prosumer (can change lens, can use dedicated lens and was highly customable), had large sensor (compared to the prosumer) and is small and light (around the same size as some of the prosumer camera).

You can also consider reading this cnet article for AA batt cameras: http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6501_7-10003449.html, dated May 14, 2010.

AA Batteries requirement really limits your selections of camera. If you are willing to consider older models, Canon A series is not a bad one either. I'm using the A650IS which uses 4x AA

G12 already? Wah, I'm getting old.

hahahaha... actually I only know that because one of my buddies are using it... so actually you are not old.

hahahaha... actually I only know that because one of my buddies are using it... so actually you are not old.

The last time I heard of the G series is the G2, and before I know it, it's G12 already..

Hello all.. I'm in need of a prosumer with the following requirements;

1. Uses AA batteries
2. Large image sensor (as close to APS size as possible?)
3. Super macro capability
4. Large aperture, hopefully below f 2.0
5. Able to "live capture" using Capture One or other software (not really important, but great if possible)

Not really planning to consider DSLRs coz of the AA battery requirement, and an external grip will make the camera too bulky for my needs.

Thanks for any inputs!

I quite liked the Canon Powershot S5 IS (what's the latest model?) camera, but I'm not sure if it meets any of the requirements besides #3 (macro capability).

Why the insistence on using AA batteries though?

The PowerShot SX30 IS? 35x optical zoom :)

http://goo.gl/tvziR

Edit: Paiseh this does not use AA batteries :p

Last edited:

Why not reference the C1 list of supported cameras?

Rashkae said:
High zoom was not on his list of desired features. So why suggest this?

Ya hor. I thought it's the successor to Canon S5 IS so I listed it. Paiseh :)

Thank you all for your recommendations. The advice has been really helpful.

Did some looking around, and the AA battery requirement is a real hindrance. The reason why i prefer AA batteries is coz of it's convenience. I would prefer to pop in fresh batteries, than to wait for flat ones to charge.

I know there are some disposable lithium batteries available, but not sure which ones, and which cameras they suit.

So the updated main priorities once again are;

1. Able to use disposable batteries
2. LARGE sensor size
3. Macro capabilities (Yes, almost all prosumers have this. But i might be shooting as close as 1cm, so super macro is needed.)
4. Large aperture, pref below f2.0
5. Able to tether shoot << Not really that important, but good to have. I looked through the supported cameras in Capture One, and all of them are DSLRs. So i guess this preference is likely off the table =\

Once again, thanks to all for your inputs.

whoope3 said:

Did some looking around, and the AA battery requirement is a real hindrance. The reason why i prefer AA batteries is coz of it's convenience. I would prefer to pop in fresh batteries, than to wait for flat ones to charge.

I know there are some disposable lithium batteries available, but not sure which ones, and which cameras they suit.

2. LARGE sensor size
3. Macro capabilities (Yes, almost all prosumers have this. But i might be shooting as close as 1cm, so super macro is needed.)
5. Able to tether shoot << Not really that important, but good to have. I looked through the supported cameras in Capture One, and all of them are DSLRs. So i guess this preference is likely off the table =\

Just buy an additional battery and have one as spare. Should be able to tide u thr a whole day shoot unless u are flash/trigger hungry.

Just buy an additional battery and have one as spare. Should be able to tide u thr a whole day shoot unless u are flash/trigger hungry.

yeah, this 'disposable battery' requirement is a real hindrance, since only a few brands/models market this feature.

TS, Rechargeable batteries are now mostly made using Lithium-ion technology, and have a significantly larger capacity than your standard AA rechargeable batteries.
As an example, the Nikon EN-EL3e battery is rated at 7.5V and 1500mAh. This is approximately the equivalent of 5 or 6 x AA batteries (to achieve similar voltage), and when used on a Nikon D90, you can easily get 800-1000 shots out of a single charge, if you use the LCD sparingly (reviewing, Liveview, etc).
I doubt the AA batts can give you that sort of performance.

Why not just get extra batteries? Much cheaper in the long run and more environmentally-friendly than chewing your way through so many AA batteries.

Why not just get extra batteries? Much cheaper in the long run and more environmentally-friendly than chewing your way through so many AA batteries.

Exactly...

2. LARGE sensor size

I would suggest the mirrorless option instead of a prosumer camera. They have almost all of your expection (except disposable batteries). Depending on your lens, they can have large aperture and also macro capabilities - or simple addon like the Raynox, can turn your cheap kit lens to something of a macro lens).

Another option is the Olympus XZ-1. It is currently one of the fastest lens prosumer camera in the market (F1.8) and there are many, many good reviews on it. I saw one in Courts today, and briefly handle it. It is a sexy camera, small and feels good in your hand... plus it look so cool, love it to bits... but also it don't use disposable batteries (can you change your priorities 1?)

Last edited: