Please recommend me a ballhead

victorlee10

Feb 4, 2008
Hi will be shopping for a new ballhead in the next week or so. Looking for something that is cheap and good and have currently shortlisted the benro BH-0. My heaviest setup is a 40d+grip+70-200 f2.8L which I think is about 2.5kg. BH-0 can support max 4kg so should be ok? Just wondering if fellow CSers have any other recommendation?

My requirements are for it to be reasonably priced and as light as possible while able to support my gear.

I used to have the Manfrotto 488RC2 which I believe has been replaced with a newer model which I have no idea of. Very happy with that one but it's only recently I moved on to Markins Q3.

I LOVE manfrotto's quick release..... well, it's quick and for what I do, that ballhead does justice but... LOL, I have enough of the grease on the ballhead and it's a little heavy.
Markins? I am not a fan of the 'quick release' system and neither am I a fan of their new lever release system but... I wanted something light and greaseless - I could move to Benro but... bleah, figured just try something more 'up' so...trying Markins now, don't like then sell lor. I am trying to get myself used to the quick release. If I sell, I will highly go back to Manfrotto.

Thanks. Yeah I saw the 498RC2 at cathay photo was hoping to get something for less than that.

Never heard of Sirui. Is it a new brand? Which shop has it in stock?

TK foto @ funan .. ;) .. u can go and try out urself with ur gear in e shop .. ballhead only weight 400g

cheap and good

Try to stretch your dollar a bit and get the Markins Q3. Bloody good ballhead. I tried a few other cheaper options and some of them creeps despite being tightened. End up wasting money equivalent to if I got the Q3 from the beginning.

definitely MArkins if you willing to fork the price. buy once and use it forever.

You can consider Manfrotto 496RC2 which supports up to 6kg. Currently CP having promo for this ballhead.
If you want sth better, get the Markins Q3/T or RRS

Around $450 iirc.

Nope, its about $379 for the regular Q3E good for 30kg payload. One of the reputable shops in Funan sells it at that price. Unless you are going for the T model, which is slightly above $400. $450 maybe buy you an M10 (can't recall the exact price, sorry).

Alternatively, you can go for Photo Clam ballheads, a very good equivalent to Markins if you a search on google. PC's model equivalent to Q3E is PC36N or PC36NS (with the leveller included). $303 according to one of the reputable shops in Funan (again do your own shopping with the finger tips).

About oils, I've read on the internet that PC ballheads does not require oiling (so don't out-smart yourself silly or you'll ruin your $300 plus ballhead) because they are using a different tech than Markins (which does requires a bit of greasing after a while).

I'm looking for one myself, so the prices are still fresh in my mind...

happy hunting.

Last edited:
Around $450 iirc.

Nope, its about $379 for the regular Q3E good for 30kg payload. One of the reputable shops in Funan sells it at that price. Unless you are going for the T model, which is slightly above $400. $450 maybe buy you an M10 (can't recall the exact price, sorry).

yes it ard $379 range, diff is $10 for T and non-T version.

Price drop quite a lot... Garion, did u pay more for it? I did for my M10. :(

Thanks for all the advise but I think the Markins is way way out of my budget. I think might consider the sirui g20. My friend also mentioned to me about this brand called photo clam. Does anyone know where I can 1 for sale and how does it compare with the sirui?

Thanks for all the advise but I think the Markins is way way out of my budget. I think might consider the sirui g20. My friend also mentioned to me about this brand called photo clam. Does anyone know where I can 1 for sale and how does it compare with the sirui?

3 known places that carries the Photo Clam - currently that is. Orient Photos at SLS, SLR Rev at Funan, and K13 at Peninsular Plaza (this info I get from Photo Clam distributor, yesterday).

I haven't tested Sirui's, looks quite similar to the two Korean brands (Photo Clam and Markins), but until a proper review arises - I'd only look at PC and Markins... Photo Clams costs cheaper btw (but depends on where you get it)...

Last edited:
bald%20head.jpg

I tried berno BH-0 before. It looks a bit small, so I changed to BH-1. Your equipment is heavier than mine. You better go and try a few sizes.

I found BH-1 very steady, solid build, though I haven't tried any other brand.