Please recommend good but affordable men's tailor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andreq

Deregistered
Jul 12, 2007
Could anyone kindly recommend good but affordable men's tailor? Not looking at the super high class and expensive Raffles' Tailor type...

Kinda new to tailor-made clothes/suits. Appreciate it!

Thanks. will check him out. do you know which level of suntec? appreciate it. :)

any more input is greatly welcomed.

its only via appointments, give mr wong a call and ask for directions.

he very affordable, $399 for a 4 piece suit onwards.

he is actually located at basement, next to Subway I think:)

When I go business trip to Vietnam, I go for taylor made suits + shirts + pants. Very cheap. Less than SGD200 in total. :) Not bad .... a lot foreigner go there.

Look for Eric at Pensonality Tailor at Peninsula. 3rd floor. Prices are quite reasonable and usually good cut and fitting. Shirts about 80 onwards, pants about 100 onwards and suits about 400+ onwards iirc.

thanks guys. :)

Most local tailors are quite good. However, most local tailors do not tailor their clients' clothes anymore. They cut the cloth only, but let an external party (usually a housewife) oem tailor the job. Hence, if there is no complain, they will let that customer's clothes be done by that lady everytime. There used to be a huge community of these seamstress, but they are diminishing by the year.

As to why oem is because they need to make money to cover rental, salaries, bills, etc. If they do themselves end to end, they will not be able to cope for the Christmas & CNY orders.

Tailor brands like cyc and the likes are no longer done by the masters though they do charge an arm and a leg for a suit. Is it worth it? I dont think so anymore though it is nice to have the brand embossed on the shirt.

I happened to know one old time tailor in the cbd area. He had a great sales girl who was very motivated by the commission from each sale as she gets a decent cut of every deal that customer walked in to pay. In the end, he hated her to the core cos she was enjoying a huge salary pkg while he worked like a mad dog. Worse was, he could not stop her. She only did a 9-5 job and the boss stayed back and worked hard all day and night. She bought condos and a car while he had to worry about next rental hike. Moral of story is, it is not worth working like a dog. OEM is "the" way to go to maximise margins and having a life if one believes in surviving in this industry.

That said, i had seen a good tailor in Paris at the armani boutique. A good tailor is really swift with his scissors and he dont use machines! haha

I happened to know one old time tailor in the cbd area. He had a great sales girl who was very motivated by the commission from each sale as she gets a decent cut of every deal that customer walked in to pay. In the end, he hated her to the core cos she was enjoying a huge salary pkg while he worked like a mad dog. Worse was, he could not stop her. She only did a 9-5 job and the boss stayed back and worked hard all day and night. She bought condos and a car while he had to worry about next rental hike. Moral of story is, it is not worth working like a dog. haha

He is lucky to have a good salesgirl. Why hate her? She needs to earn like anyone else. She helped him make heaps of money.
Good product is no use if people do not want to buy.
So he complements the good salesgirl.
He makes the clothes, she sells the tailoring service.

actually if u happen to visit bangkok anytime soon .. its a great place to tailor clothes . Tailored my shirt for abt 30SGD and jacket for less than $100SGD :D

He is lucky to have a good salesgirl. Why hate her? She needs to earn like anyone else. She helped him make heaps of money.
Good product is no use if people do not want to buy.
So he complements the good salesgirl.
He makes the clothes, she sells the tailoring service.

:bsmilie: Problem was, when the old tailor told her to stop taking orders, his salesgirl ignored him totally as she was commission driven. During those festive periods, he overworked everyday only to see more sales and to be completed before the same deadline (ie cny).

Most tailors i know have cut off dates. The popular ones (like eric) has cut offs as early as 2mths before cny.

There is one respectable minister whose clothes were tailored by an old tailor at ginza plaza. That tailor also oem to a few ah soh to do the works for all his clients. But that tailor passed away liao few years back. So CYC or no CYC, it does not matter. What matters more is who cuts the fabric and the source of the fabric. The rest is about QC, branding and consumers' perception.

actually if u happen to visit bangkok anytime soon .. its a great place to tailor clothes . Tailored my shirt for abt 30SGD and jacket for less than $100SGD :D

Never doubted Thailand for having affordable tailored clothing with excellent service. All you need is to make one trip there and patronise them or allow them to just take measurements. For future orders, just pay via credit card and have it shipped to your doorstep! And most good seamstress are either from Thailand or vietnam.

However, do take note on the fabric quality as what people says in chinese: yi fen qian yi fen huo (you get what you paid for). With $100 budget for a sports/formal jacket, the fabric quality may be slightly compromised. But still, Thailand has the best value for money tailored products.

i've decided to go with Dickson. There were recommendations of him in other forums too...

Eric of peninsular plaza sounds popular and good too but maybe a bit more expensive?

i've decided to go with Dickson. There were recommendations of him in other forums too...

Eric of peninsular plaza sounds popular and good too but maybe a bit more expensive?

Call eric for a quote. dont worry, he is not the kind who likes to chop carrots, but dont try to bargain with him though as his prices are straight forward with no hidden game. Eric's pricing may not be the dirt cheap type, but the quality is acceptable for its price. But i do find him too chatty at times (service level is like john 3:16). Remember, you have to tell him what you want or he will give you standard cuts and designs. He is quite updated with trends as many yuppies and bankers go to personality tailor shop.

Remember, one of the key difference is the range of fabrics they carry. If you stick with the popular tailors, the workmanship (by those seamstress) is about the same for that price range. Just wear for a few year and donate/throw away.

Could anyone kindly recommend good but affordable men's tailor? Not looking at the super high class and expensive Raffles' Tailor type...

Kinda new to tailor-made clothes/suits. Appreciate it!

check out a shop at chinatown that specialize in men's suit. contact Florence at 90235984. I think about $150 for jacket & pants.

Hong Kong - Sam's Tailor, shirts for about HKD 350. He's made shirts for celebrities and dignitaries... HM Queen Elizabeth the II, Ronald Reagan, Princes Phillip and Charles, Presidents Ford, Bush Snr and Clinton, Prime Ministers Thatcher and Blair, John McEnroe, George Michael, Michael Jackson, Boris Becker, Bob Hawke, Kylie Minogue, David Bowie

http://www.samstailor.biz/

:bsmilie: Problem was, when the old tailor told her to stop taking orders, his salesgirl ignored him totally as she was commission driven. During those festive periods, he overworked everyday only to see more sales and to be completed before the same deadline (ie cny).

Most tailors i know have cut off dates. The popular ones (like eric) has cut offs as early as 2mths before cny.

There is one respectable minister whose clothes were tailored by an old tailor at ginza plaza. That tailor also oem to a few ah soh to do the works for all his clients. But that tailor passed away liao few years back. So CYC or no CYC, it does not matter. What matters more is who cuts the fabric and the source of the fabric. The rest is about QC, branding and consumers' perception.

The logic is not right here.... If he is the boss, he should have fired her and then get another person as an assistant and on fixed pay..... I mean it's crazy right? She is raking in all the contacts and the commission and ignoring the boss???

Been tailoring my office wear at Frank Tailor for the last 10 years.
Peninsula Shopping Complex #03-23 Tel 6337 9413.

What is the market rate for a tailored short-sleeve shirt?

What are the things or terms to look out for when tailoring for a shirt?

Personality @ Peninsula, 2nd floor. Great cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.