Please recommend a type of film


Status
Not open for further replies.

rochkoh

New Member
Feb 8, 2002
533
0
0
Under your skin
Visit site
#1
Hey, need some recommendations on the type of film i should use. Will be going to Hong Kong and BangKok next month and intend to take mostly scenery and some night shots.

Have experimented with the Kodak MAX's 100, 200 and 400 - the usual mainstream ones. They give reasonable performance (depending on what i take of course). What about Fuji film?

Sadly the mainstream Konicas and Agfas are quite hopeless..

Any recommendations?

thanks.
 

#2
Originally posted by rochkoh
Hey, need some recommendations on the type of film i should use. Will be going to Hong Kong and BangKok next month and intend to take mostly scenery and some night shots.

Have experimented with the Kodak MAX's 100, 200 and 400 - the usual mainstream ones. They give reasonable performance (depending on what i take of course). What about Fuji film?

Sadly the mainstream Konicas and Agfas are quite hopeless..

Any recommendations?

thanks.
Try the Fujifilm Superia XTRA 200 and 400s. Forget the Kodak Max 400, they are quite horrible IMO. The Fuji 400 has quite fine grain, and will be versatile enough for day and night shoots.

Regards
CK
 

Kit

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
11,697
42
48
42
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
#3
Reala. Slow so a tripod will come in handy at times. You need tripod for night shots anyway. I rate it at ISO 64 to get better colour. I suggest you experiment before you go.
 

zapline

New Member
Jan 19, 2002
97
0
0
40
Somewhere in the East
Visit site
#4
fuji superia 200 and 400.
Fine grains, nice colour though it tends to give a "greenish" feeling.
Versatile enough for day and night shoots.
Hope you have a nice time!;)
 

rochkoh

New Member
Feb 8, 2002
533
0
0
Under your skin
Visit site
#5
Good stuff!

Guess Fuji's a better film than Kodak (or Agfa or Konica) eh?

Bought some Fuji Superia 200 and XTRA 400 and the Reala just before CNY and have experimented on the 200 and 400. - waiting for processing now.

Reserving the Reala for some night shots with the tripod (is the choice of film okay?)


Do slide film give better pictures? Seems very popular amongst the forumers here.
 

#6
Originally posted by rochkoh
Good stuff!

Guess Fuji's a better film than Kodak (or Agfa or Konica) eh?

Bought some Fuji Superia 200 and XTRA 400 and the Reala just before CNY and have experimented on the 200 and 400. - waiting for processing now.

Reserving the Reala for some night shots with the tripod (is the choice of film okay?)


Do slide film give better pictures? Seems very popular amongst the forumers here.
Slide films give better saturation (some slide films like Velvia even enhance colour saturation) compared to normal negatives printed as photos. The reason is largely because slides are viewed via transmitted light, and prints via reflected light.

Slides are also cheaper to process.

Fuji Provia 100F : $8.80.
Processing : $4.00 - 6.00
Total : $12.80 - $14.80

Fuji Superia XTRA 400 : $3.50
Processing and printing to 4R : $15.95 ($0.35 per print, $3 processing fee)
Total : $19.45

Regards
CK
 

rochkoh

New Member
Feb 8, 2002
533
0
0
Under your skin
Visit site
#7
Originally posted by ckiang


Slide films give better saturation (some slide films like Velvia even enhance colour saturation) compared to normal negatives printed as photos. The reason is largely because slides are viewed via transmitted light, and prints via reflected light.

Slides are also cheaper to process.

Fuji Provia 100F : $8.80.
Processing : $4.00 - 6.00
Total : $12.80 - $14.80

Fuji Superia XTRA 400 : $3.50
Processing and printing to 4R : $15.95 ($0.35 per print, $3 processing fee)
Total : $19.45

Regards
CK
Yikes! Slides take an average of week for it to be processed! Just went around the photo shops near me workplace (during lunch).

unmounted slides: $5.00 (average)
mounted slides: $9.00

quite a long wait leh..

:p
 

megaweb

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
8,541
3
38
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
#8
Originally posted by rochkoh


Yikes! Slides take an average of week for it to be processed!

go RGB Color Lab at bridge road ... take < 1 day to process ... usually I send my slides at 12 pm and collect it after work about 6pm ...
 

#9
Originally posted by rochkoh


Yikes! Slides take an average of week for it to be processed! Just went around the photo shops near me workplace (during lunch).

unmounted slides: $5.00 (average)
mounted slides: $9.00

quite a long wait leh..

:p
Hmm... my regular lab (Colour Lab Photo Finishing @ Adelphi) takes only a day. :) Most of the neighbourhood stores take longer, coz they need to send it to somewhere else to process.

Regards
CK
 

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
#10
Originally posted by rochkoh


Yikes! Slides take an average of week for it to be processed! Just went around the photo shops near me workplace (during lunch).

unmounted slides: $5.00 (average)
mounted slides: $9.00

quite a long wait leh..

:p
Where do you stay? If you're somewhere near Tiong Bahru, there's this KJ Colour @ Tiong Bahru Plaza where they process it in-house!

The cost is $4! ;)
 

rochkoh

New Member
Feb 8, 2002
533
0
0
Under your skin
Visit site
#11
Originally posted by AdamGoi


Where do you stay? If you're somewhere near Tiong Bahru, there's this KJ Colour @ Tiong Bahru Plaza where they process it in-house!

The cost is $4! ;)
Oh gosh! I work at Tiong Bahru Plaza. Was there earlier this afternoon. But i only went to the Fuji Standard Photo outlet next to Watsons. Will look around again tomorrow.

Which floor is this KJ Color on? Is it inside Cold Storage?

$4!! :eek:
 

denizenx

Senior Member
Feb 1, 2002
4,058
0
0
41
L2TPYSG
Visit site
#13
need help leh...
I shot one fuji superia 200 and one konica 100... processed by same NB lab...
both look cyanish with reds muddy.. film fault, lab fault or my fault?
 

mervlam

Senior Member
Apr 26, 2002
2,279
0
0
Visit site
#14
Originally posted by denizenx
need help leh...
I shot one fuji superia 200 and one konica 100... processed by same NB lab...
both look cyanish with reds muddy.. film fault, lab fault or my fault?
lab fault, or maybe ur fault. no fault with film :D

what u shoot with the film?
 

scanner

Senior Member
Jan 24, 2002
1,608
0
0
Visit site
#15
Originally posted by rochkoh
Ahhh.. Found it. Tiong Bahru Plaza, #02-22.
New prices from 01/02/2002 - $4.50 for slide processing. 1 Day.

Thanks anyway.
OIC, you working there.
Anyway I'm just working, always go there for slides development.
Try it! The quality not bad! :thumbsup:
 

denizenx

Senior Member
Feb 1, 2002
4,058
0
0
41
L2TPYSG
Visit site
#16
whatever I shot it's slightly tinged cyan... trees are of cos ok hehe, but my reds are slightly off brown... blues are cyanish...
my shots are just std everywhere shots... tried harsh day (no complaints cos harsh), but cloudy WB also like that...

the only constant factor is the lab haha... hmm now trying kodak 100...
was thinking the colour tint is the film or the print processor?
 

F

Fastbreak

Guest
#17
Hi, regarding the Lab at Tiong Bahru Plaza, is the print output good also? I've been developing at Color Lab at Adelphi, but since I live nearer to Tiong Bahru (can walk there) it would be a lot more convenient. If developing quality is just as good, then I think I will be going there instead. Thanks! :)
 

Zoomer

New Member
Feb 4, 2002
645
0
0
Singapore
reverac.com
#18
Originally posted by ckiang

Fuji Provia 100F : $8.80.
Processing : $4.00 - 6.00
Total : $12.80 - $14.80

Fuji Superia XTRA 400 : $3.50
Processing and printing to 4R : $15.95 ($0.35 per print, $3 processing fee)
Total : $19.45

Regards
CK
How much is it to ask for scanning instead of printing?
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom