Please recommend a stand to fix flash gun to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priscilia

Deregistered
Jun 20, 2006
I hope strobbists can kindly help me out here.

I'm thinking of dabbling in off camera flash photography.

I wish to put a flash at a distance from the camera.

However, I notice from the many setups on the Internet that photographers use a light stand.

Do they sell any adapter that allows a flash to be fixed to it which in turn can be connected to a tripod head?

I have 2 tripods which I thought should be put to better use than actually buying a light stand which I may not use so frequently.

Or if light stand is the only way, any affordable and good brands to recommend?

Thanks.

there are adapters that can be fixed to a light stand so that you can mount a standard hotshoe flash on it. these adapters can also let you add an umbrella.

light stand can go higher than your average tripod but having said that, a tripod can also be used in certain situations. why not try strobing with your tripod first to see if this is something you like.

you can get light stands at ruby, cathay photo or orient photo.

wad kind of flashes do u use? but even though is those slave dedicated flashes.. it comes with the support extension for cameras w/o the hotshoe.. and for professional flashes, there's that thing that allows ur flash to stand alone? the extension or the flash stand can be mounted on any tripods..

i assume that you will be using umbrellas (shoot-through, reflective, etc)

if u use the PT04 radio triggers, there is a screw hole in the L-bracket. i think the tagotech $15 one will work for tripod as the tilting can be done with the tripod head: http://store.tagotech.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_36&products_id=44

if you foresee getting a lightstand in the future then you might want to go straight for this one. the female-female spigot will allow for mounting to tripod: http://store.tagotech.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_36&products_id=156 (i've seen these being sold on dealextreme and ebay for cheaper, so look around perhaps)

if not using PT04 radio trigger, then i'd probably suggest you get the 2nd one or the 1st one + a cold shoe with a tripod screw hole on the base.

Most umbrella adapters will allow you to attach the flash to either a light stand or a tripod.

Also, the manfrotto superclamp goes well with the umbrella adapter also. You can use the superclamp to hold the umbrella adapter plus flash to many different places, such as table tops, poles, etc.

a light stand is more approbate, it able to go higher than tripod, lighter and more compact also.

you also need an umbrella adapters to mount the flash to the light stand, which allow you to tilt your flash and attach an umbrella

Manfrotto light stands are the best, but it is not cheap compare to the china made.

hope this help.

Thanks for all the very useful replies guys.

I'm thinking of using Pocket Wizard to mount the flash.

Sorry I'm a newbie to this so I may get lost in all the jargon.

So what I basically need is an umbrella adapter?

I'm not quite into using umbrellas yet. Just want to start out triggering my flash from a distance. So need to fix the flash to a tripod. When I feel the need, then I will progress to a light stand.

So Ruby is a good place to get the umbrella adapter, or if I want, light stand?

Thanks again. :)

Thanks for all the very useful replies guys.

I'm thinking of using Pocket Wizard to mount the flash.

Sorry I'm a newbie to this so I may get lost in all the jargon.

So what I basically need is an umbrella adapter?

I'm not quite into using umbrellas yet. Just want to start out triggering my flash from a distance. So need to fix the flash to a tripod. When I feel the need, then I will progress to a light stand.

So Ruby is a good place to get the umbrella adapter, or if I want, light stand?

Thanks again. :)

Pocket Wizard is use for triggering the flash, not for mounting. :)

You can try Tagotech or overseas (B&H, Midwest Photo Exchange etc) website if you are interested in the adapter.

But i suggest you take a look at this first to get a clearer picture. Lighting 101 :)

Last edited:
fyi, pocket wizards are not allowed for use in sg. i am sure your flash comes with a shoe which can be mounted onto a tripod head or ballhead. no point getting an umbrella adapter if you are not going to use an umbrella.

i say get the lightstands from tagotech.

i personally don't like their flash/umbrella holder. the $36 one is too flimsy in my opinion and the more expensive one does not give you the option to secure your flash.

i prefer this one from gadget infinity. you need to get a spigot (available at tagotech) to attach it to the lightstand.

and remember to weigh down your lightstand if you've got the umbrella on and shooting outdoors!

Just head down to Ruby, ask for hot-shoe umbrella holder ($45) and get a collapsible light stand ($45) which rises up to about 2M and best thing is, it's very compact. If I remember correctly, the holder they have will not fit SB-900 and if you're using 580EXII, the lock will stop half-way.

swivel01sf1.jpg

swivel02py6.jpg

Oh, if mods don't mind, I have two holders (from TagoTech) to let go. :)

Pocket Wizard is use for triggering the flash, not for mounting. :)

You can try Tagotech or overseas (B&H, Midwest Photo Exchange etc) website if you are interested in the adapter.

But i suggest you take a look at this first to get a clearer picture. Lighting 101 :)

Yes, but what I meant is, I need to put the flash attached to the Pocket Wizard somewhere right? :)

Thanks for the link. Will read it later. :thumbsup:

fyi, pocket wizards are not allowed for use in sg. i am sure your flash comes with a shoe which can be mounted onto a tripod head or ballhead. no point getting an umbrella adapter if you are not going to use an umbrella.

Oh my goodness... This is so embarrassing! :embrass: thanks for pointing it out. I need to read up more....

I've been looking forward to getting a Pocket Wizard cos I saw and read from their website it's quite cool. Many pros in the US use it. I thought there are CS members here who use it too? It's not allowed here cos of frequency issues?

So what do you guys use for remote flash trigger? I own Canon flash, not the ST-E2 for sure as many have said it's not reliable, especially outdoors.

The flash comes with a stand which I've never used so far. I thought it's only to balance on tables, flat surfaces, etc. Hmmm, so that thingy can also be attached to a tripod head? :embrass: Will check it out.

Thanks changster for the suggestion.

Rendition, I think what you showed in picture is what I'm looking for.

But I'm using a 580EX II. Does that mean the lock is limited? And now that I've been informed that pocket wizards cannot be used here, are there any other radio slave-trigger brands that can be used with my Canon flash?

Btw, sincere thanks to EVERYONE who has kindly given me the tips.

Oh my goodness... This is so embarrassing! :embrass: thanks for pointing it out. I need to read up more....

I've been looking forward to getting a Pocket Wizard cos I saw and read from their website it's quite cool. Many pros in the US use it. I thought there are CS members here who use it too? It's not allowed here cos of frequency issues?

So what do you guys use for remote flash trigger? I own Canon flash, not the ST-E2 for sure as many have said it's not reliable, especially outdoors.

The flash comes with a stand which I've never used so far. I thought it's only to balance on tables, flat surfaces, etc. Hmmm, so that thingy can also be attached to a tripod head? :embrass: Will check it out.
not sure about the Canon flash stand, if there is a screw hole like the base of your camera, it will fit onto the tripod 1/4" screw.

a recent discussion about Reliable wireless triggers

I've two Manfrotto umbrella adapters for my Metz flashes, so far I have not find a good umbrella adapters for my SB800s, cos none of hotshoe mount is made of plastic and able to lock my flash securely, so I attach the SB800 with flash stand to the Manfrotto umbrella adapters.

DSC_2982.jpg

Rendition, I think what you showed in picture is what I'm looking for.

But I'm using a 580EX II. Does that mean the lock is limited? And now that I've been informed that pocket wizards cannot be used here, are there any other radio slave-trigger brands that can be used with my Canon flash?

Nah, two of my corporate photographer acquaintance are using PocketWizards here in Singapore. Blue uniform policeboys don't know what the hell PocketWizard is. It's just like using foreign mobiel phones in Singapore... bet thousands are using them here though it's banned (approval by SingTel required with charge).

They got theirs from Orient Photo. Personally, am using Elinchrom's Skyport and good 'ol Cactus triggers (google them), cheaper la...

Anyways, the lock is limited yes, but it's quite secure and the umbrells swivel bracket I used shown in picture hsa a screw to further secure the hotshoe.

Last edited:
Thanks thanks guys! Great info again. :) Looks like tonight I have more homework and reading to do b4 I post anything more here. :)

I never knew Pocket Wizzys are illegal here! There was a good discussion here:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477546

Anyway, does any of you know what good a Quantum Q flash is? What can it do that the normal Canon or Nikon flashes can't?

Thanks thanks guys! Great info again. :) Looks like tonight I have more homework and reading to do b4 I post anything more here. :)

I never knew Pocket Wizzys are illegal here! There was a good discussion here:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477546

Anyway, does any of you know what good a Quantum Q flash is? What can it do that the normal Canon or Nikon flashes can't?

you can read about the Q flash here, http://www.qtm.com/QFlash/.

QFlash, to me, is by far the most rugged, robust and compact lighting ever - it's the only reason it costs to much. It comes in two version, T5D and X5D, difference being in power output of 200w/s and 400w/s respectively. Typical hotshoe flash like Canon 580EXII has power output of about 50w/s (according to users who bother to do intensive test). Of course, you'll get a better build, light output consistency and better modifiers etc.

Together with its PowerPack Turbo 2x2, the T5D will set you back a good S$2K+. With extra accessories, you can even do TTL with it but it costs a fair bit. But when it comes to off-shoe lighting, personally I find manual setting to be far easier, of course not faster. Besides, if you see yourself getting monolights in near future, just stick to manual. TTL is not as smart as you.

When I've earned enough from my freelance photography projects, I will definitely get myself a couple sets of the Turbo series. 200w/s is more than enough in most situation - even outdoors. Actually, more and more photographers I know, from red carpet, wedding to corporate, are moving to Qflash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.