Please recommend a compact camera good enough for basic usage.

Bryan84

May 31, 2010
www.bryanchung.sg
Thought of getting a compact camera during IT Show 2017. I currently have a Canon 550D but no longer want to use it and want to switch to a more company camera.

Please recommend a compact camera good enough for basic usage.

Taking of people during gatherings mainly. Indoor and outdoor shooting.

Sony RX100 series, and go for the most recent version (RX100 V) if you have the money to spend, and older versions (e.g. IV, III) if you have less money. The Canon G7X II and G9X II can also be considered, and they are somewhat cheaper than the RX100s. Lastly, there's also the Panasonic LX10. They all broadly use sensors of the same size, and are differentiated by features and image processing. All these models are reasonably good if you need to make a quick decision. And if not, then you'll want to read the online reviews for each.

And like what the other forum also advised - the cameras at the IT Show booths are likely going to be recommended retail prices. You'd be much better off getting e-quotes from the usual suite of camera shops that CS enthusiasts frequent here (e.g. MS Color, TK Foto, SLR Revolution). You will very likely get better prices than RRPs, and you can also cross-check to make sure you are getting the most important bundled freebies (e.g. batteries) from these shops too.

And like what the other forum also advised - the cameras at the IT Show booths are likely going to be recommended retail prices. You'd be much better off getting e-quotes from the usual suite of camera shops that CS enthusiasts frequent here (e.g. MS Color, TK Foto, SLR Revolution). You will very likely get better prices than RRPs, and you can also cross-check to make sure you are getting the most important bundled freebies (e.g. batteries) from these shops too.

Okay thanks. But those range you suggested it rather high-end price for me. I was thinking of below $500. On that note, do you think you can recommend too?

All the phones I've listed above all use a 1 inch sensor, which is comparatively large for compact cameras - and also one of the key determinants in image quality. With a $500 budget, the only model I can think of that is nearest to it is the Canon G9X II and from the shops listed above, not RRP. The alternative is to buy one of these 1" sensor cameras used from ClubSnap's used equipment forums.

If none of these are options for you and you cannot spend more than $500, then were I in your shoes, I would not buy anything then. The compacts that are under $500 new do not offer image quality much better than what I can get from smartphones these days.

There's a last option: entry level mirrorless cameras, but these are not as compact.

All the phones I've listed above all use a 1 inch sensor, which is comparatively large for compact cameras - and also one of the key determinants in image quality. With a $500 budget, the only model I can think of that is nearest to it is the Canon G9X II and from the shops listed above, not RRP. The alternative is to buy one of these 1" sensor cameras used from ClubSnap's used equipment forums.

If none of these are options for you and you cannot spend more than $500, then were I in your shoes, I would not buy anything then. The compacts that are under $500 new do not offer image quality much better than what I can get from smartphones these days.

There's a last option: entry level mirrorless cameras, but these are not as compact.

Ah I see. Much appreciated for your explanation! :) I am using a Samsung S7.

Last edited:
Ah I see. Much appreciated for your explanation! :) I am using a Samsung S7.
I think it should read "all the cameras mentioned above"... But on a serious note: do check the capabilities of recent handphone cameras. The gap between them and compact cameras gets smaller. In the end: the best camera is the one you got in your hand in the right moment.

I think it should read "all the cameras mentioned above"... But on a serious note: do check the capabilities of recent handphone cameras. The gap between them and compact cameras gets smaller. In the end: the best camera is the one you got in your hand in the right moment.

Yup yup thank you. :)