Please recommend a camera to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what clive has covered is what I'd choose to go for, importantly also is what you intend to shoot. What clive has mentioned totally covers landscape, portraits, events, which is what I'd considered good enough for starters.

1) Wideangle for landscape (12-24DX)
2) Telephoto for events (24-85G, 28-105D, 24-120G VR)
3) Portrait (50 f/1.8D)
4) Flash (SB-28/DX)

Body wise, maybe you can consider a F80 :) Don't have to make all the purchases at one shot, I believe the body+50mm can give you a lot to play with and test your compositions.

yah........i will most prob get a body and the 50mm/f1.8 lens 1st for a start + the part 1 "minimalist" which clive stated.

N5X said:
ThanKs....espn for the information.

Regarding the D70 by CYRN, don't really like digital used some digital cameras before and i find them laggy and based on the current situation my budget doent permit me to even consider it :bsmilie:

Yup will remember to include the basic stuff as what posted by Clive.

I think you will find the DSLR's in general to be quite different breeds of animals from digicams :devil:

I think your idea of a basic body and a 50/1.8 a good one. However, do also consider a zoom lens. I think that when you are just starting out in photography, it's better to get a cheap zoom (e.g the 28-80 kit lens) and then take notes on which focal length you tend to use more and base your next lens purchase (i.e going wide or going long) on that. And if you don't intend to blow up your pictures super big, my own experience with the 28-80 is that it takes good pictures, provided you stay within its limitations (i.e don't shoot wide open, don't shoot at the extreme ends of the focal lengths).

You might want to consider going second hand as well to cut on costs, but if it were me, I'd go new and get a body with a warrantry. If there's trouble with your body, it's very le-ceh to go and try and get it fixed, especially if you are a newbie and trying to cut on costs. As mentioned, the F75 kit is a good idea, as it has most of the functions you would ever need or think you will need and falls close to your budget. However, I think most will ask you to go for a second hand F80, as it's a proven prosumer camera with boatloads of features and is also a very good choice.

Anyway, regarding the minimalist accesories clive mentioned, it's my opinion you can just drop the tripod (unless you are especially into night pictures, long exposures, macro etc, in which case a tripod is NOT an accessory but an essential part of your equipment) and bounce card for now (unless you are getting a flash immediately) and add it only when you feel you need it. The filters purchase can also be delayed except for the 'protective' filter for your lens. Add polarisers, negative densities etc only when you find the need.

Have fun! :D

:thumbsup: wow thanKs for the comprehensive advice........heheh

N5X, around 600 bucks can buy you a F70 kit.
But if you buy 2nd hand 1, you can get a semi professional camera and a faster lens like f2.8.

You should save money on the body, but don't save on lens.
tripod no need, just put camera on any stable place, head, table.
cleaning kit no need, use tissue paper plus tap water.
external flash no need, use built in flash is more economic.
as for those funny funny filter, borrow from friend.

Need a cleaning kit lah.
So cheap..... Around $10 comes with cloth and brush/blower.
How to clean with tissue...... You will end up with more residue..... :nono:
You can start with the 50mm. But after taking a few rolls, I am sure you
will think "uhh...uhh.... if only I can reach it....."
:cry: :cry:

yea will just start with the 50mm and see how it goes along.......i wouldnt save on a cleaning kit....hahaha

i thinking maintaining your camera to tip top condition is pretty important.

Don't even consider using tissue paper + tap water for cleaning. It's not a very sensible thing to do, spending hundreds and scrimping on tens of dollars don't make it justifiable too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.