PLEASE READ: Lexar Card causing "CHA" error on Nikon camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adiemus

May 21, 2004
Small island....
Checking specifically with all Nikon DSLR users. Do you get this problem?

My setup:
Camera : Nikon D70s
Mode: RAW

I will periodically get a "CHA" error on my Nikon D70s when I'm shooting with my Lexar 80X Professional WA cards. This happens to both my 1Gb and 2Gb cards.

When the error appears on my camera, I will not be able to shoot anymore photos with that card. That particular photo will also be corrupted.

This happens at random and there is no set pattern as to how this occurs. It sometimes happens even just on the first shot. Sometimes, it happens on the 100th over shot. In other words, no exact point.

The card is formatted everytime I load into the camera, so it's not a PC formatted issue. The cards that I'm using are those with the NEW firmware, so it's not a firmware issue.

I know it's not a camera problem because, it doesn't happen when I'm using Sandisk Ultra II 1Gb cards nor the Kingston Elitepro cards.

This has occurred on my ex-Nikon D70 & current Nikon D70s. This has also occured on my friend's ex-Nikon D70 and his current Nikon D70s. So, it's not just limited to my equipment.

I've just sent all my Lexar cards for exhange with Convergent and they are investigating. I appeal to all Nikon CSers who have read this, if you or your friend has experienced this problem, please post on this thread and state your:

- Camera model
- Size and model of Lexar card used

Some CSers have previously responded and said they had this problem (see.. http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=140019), but I'm hoping to find more users who face this problem. This way, we might be able to raise an awareness with Lexar and they may work out a new firmware, if need be.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

IIRC, there is one batch of Lexar is known to have a problem with Nikon Camera. You may want to check with Lexar website.

Regards,
Arto.

Upzz... please do post here if you have encountered the "CHA" error on your Nikon DSLR system. Thanks!

D200 with Lexar 80X Professional WA, shooting jpeg,just encountered a problem.Suddenly image on the camera screen shows only half of the picture, the rest a strange pattern.Managed to download about 150 pics (around 70 missing), after that it crashed.
Unfortunately also the recovery would not help, even after formatting still shows reading errors.
Sh*t happens :lovegrin:
Looks like I have to pay a visit to convergent.

koerner said:
D200 with Lexar 80X Professional WA, shooting jpeg,just encountered a problem.Suddenly image on the camera screen shows only half of the picture, the rest a strange pattern.Managed to download about 150 pics (around 70 missing), after that it crashed.
Unfortunately also the recovery would not help, even after formatting still shows reading errors.
Sh*t happens :lovegrin:
Looks like I have to pay a visit to convergent.

Sorry to hear about your pics. Please highlight the problem to the Convergent staff. They are holding on to 2 pieces of my Lexar cards for investigations. Also, please tell them you were shooting on a NIKON D200 when that happened.

Upzz for more awareness and waiting for more reports to come in. I've just talked to the tech support from Lexar (online support). I've pointed them out to this thread for information. They said they would escalate the matter. Hope they work out a fix.

Adiemus said:
Sorry to hear about your pics. Please highlight the problem to the Convergent staff. They are holding on to 2 pieces of my Lexar cards for investigations. Also, please tell them you were shooting on a NIKON D200 when that happened.

Upzz for more awareness and waiting for more reports to come in. I've just talked to the tech support from Lexar (online support). I've pointed them out to this thread for information. They said they would escalate the matter. Hope they work out a fix.

My friend shot on D200 using this 2GB card and also have the same problem. Lost important shots during function.

Thats why some of my frd use only SanDisk? So far so good for myself.

Sad to hear this, bro.

I have "CHA" problem on my Sandisk Ultra II as well, and when i sent to NCS, they say it is the card reader problem, and wanted to charge $380 for servicing.
I don't have this problem when i used cheapo CF cards....( those simple 128 mb cf1 types)
I also realised when the battery is freshly charge, it occurs less frequently.
And now a-days i just charge the batt for any assignment, instead of keeping battery in the camera compartment until it runs dry.

I went to exchange me Lexar 2 gig pro 80x today.
Exchange was very smooth, it seemed to me, they are fully aware of some problems with these cards.
The service guy confirmed they are in contact with Lexar US.He also mentioned inreased complains when using with nikon cams.
Let's see whether any firmware update is coming.

Lexar had a batch that had similar problems with Canon cameras a year or 2 before. However, they fixed it with the following batch. This year, there was a batch that conflicted with Nikon.

I had a 2GB Lexar that failed with my D200. After bringing down to Convergent, they changed it immediately after testing it. IMHO, that is the most important thing that the agent and manufacturer stands by their stuff with a no-nonsense exchange policy.

Sandisk does have a good track record in that their gear does not have much firmware issues. However, that is the premium you have to pay. Still, all brands have been known to fail now and then.

Like any electronic part these days, stress test when you get it. Take nothing for granted. The Lexar problem usually shows up within 4 or 5 full load cycle (fill up to card capacity , unload photos and shoot again). That said, any card exhibiting CHA or any kinks should be changed immediately even if it occurs rarely.

A quick test would be to write and read to the card's full capacity with a card reader. Remember to replug the card after every write/read session to simulate the power on/off.

I had they same problems with my D70, using LEXAR CF Card, error message : CHA (flashing) and the picture is currupted. This problem happens on my 2pcs-2GB and 1pc- 1GB, both already changed but intermittent problem still encountered. I have SanDisk and Toshiba, both i have no problem so far for more than 1 year now.....

Yes! I think, Convergent is aware about this problem, they don't bother asking about the problem. They should investigate this problem to clear their names.

I do have this problem interminttenly when using my D70 with
1) Lexar Pro 2G 80x WA CF Card and;
2) Kingston 1G Standard CF Card.

I did send my card to Kingston authorised dealer here and they say that my card is ok, it could be the camera.

I send to NSC, NSC say my camera ok ...

So until now, problem still yet to be solve ... on and off all the mentioned problems above will visit me :dunno: :bsmilie:

emcee said:
I do have this problem interminttenly when using my D70 with
1) Lexar Pro 2G 80x WA CF Card and;
2) Kingston 1G Standard CF Card.

I did send my card to Kingston authorised dealer here and they say that my card is ok, it could be the camera.

I send to NSC, NSC say my camera ok ...

So until now, problem still yet to be solve ... on and off all the mentioned problems above will visit me :dunno: :bsmilie:
IIRC, D70 do have a problem with its card reader. Meaning all CF may fail, known as BLOD (Blinking LED of Death). D70s fixed that problem, my D70s with Kingston Elite Pro 1GB never have a problem. I am not sure whether is there any exercise to replace D70's card reader board for free. Check with Nikon again.

Regards,
Arto.

If i'm not wrong it's a on off problem. i have been using my D70 with my Lexar 1GB and it's only had CHA problem like less than 10 times.

i used to have the same "CHA" problem when i was using it with my D70. both Lexar 1GB CF card gave the same error... worst was once i was shooting an event and almost 300 files (shooting jpeg fine) were gone! luckily managed to salvage >95% of the pics...

went to convergent to change both my CF card to the professional series... so far so good after that... but the CF card capacity seems to hv gone down slightly compare with the previous model.

now should i go NSC or Convergent.

Any one can advice?

emcee said:
now should i go NSC or Convergent.

Any one can advice?
Looks like CF card problem is mostly happen on D70, and not on D70s. Go to NSC. It should be camera problem if mostly happen on D70.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.