Please poll the standard weight of your photographic arsenals during photo shoot

What is the total weight of your equipment setup per photo-shoot?

Results are only viewable after voting.

It would be interesting to note how heavy you are lugging your equipments around during photo-shoot.

As for me, I carry a body, 3 lens (combined range from 18 - 500mm inclusive of 1 macro lens), 1 flash, a laptop, a MP3 player, spare batteries and a tripod that weigh around 8 ~ 9 kg (weight inclusive of the camera bag) each time I go for photo-shoot. Rationale of this setup is to have the commonest equipments to cover a wide range of photographic opportunities (by this I mean the range of focal lengths). Though my setup is heavy, I think the weight is compensated by the wider opportunities of not letting a potential to slip by. This applies to both local and overseas trips.

I would like to find out what other clubsnappers are carrying and also include your rationale/philosophy for your owe particular setup. I hope I can trim my setup weight down further and I would like to know your philosophy better. :)

Usually only a D100 and a 50mm lens, for important shoot may add in a 85mm lens, no flash, no tripod. Total weight=700g+300g=1kg ;)
But all the times I will carry a reflector, not heavy but very bulky. ;(

Mmmmm mostly I carry a F80 w/grip + 50mm f/1.8, on a few ocassions sykestang loaned me his 180 f/2.8 and AF-S 28-70 f/2.8 before. Appreciated :thumbsup:

me...d70 and a 28-80.... reflector and maybe my flash...the most basic setup i will bring...

prob less than 2 kg....

Overseas normally my F80, and see who willing to loan me a 17-35, the last time I went HK lucky me, friends got 17-35 so I borrowed. I love wides on travel. :) Ideal for group shots & landscapes/scenaries. :)

overseas i tend to bring alot of stuff...coz i dunno wat i will need...esp for assignments...

19-35
28-70
80-200
50mm
flash
2 bodies hahaa....

prob more than 10kg....

depends on what i going to shoot for the day and my mood. sometimes if i know i street shooting for the whole day, maybe just 1 body 1 lens, or F80+50mm. sometimes 2 bodies 2 primes. sometimes if i know i shooting in a fixed location, will bring 2 bodies and 3-4 lenses + flash + tripod/mono.

crazypaladin said:
Wow. This is heavy. But do you have an assistant?
erm, he just got his 80-200 like 2 days ago. maybe he havent feel the weight yet :blah: anyway his crumpler bag should be able to make his things feel like only half the weight

somemore all 3rd party lens :bsmilie:

wat do u mean by summore all third party lens.haha they are good lens.....these are heavier than the nikkors lo haha....

assistant...i am my own assistant...still got stuff like batteries and reflectors tripods...cloth yada yada ...and the list goes on...

haha the crumpler bag is a lifesaver la..

I tend to bring almost the whole cabinet when going out or overseas.

2 film bodies (one loaded with colour negatives and one with highspeed B&W)

3-4 lenses (the 180 tends to stay at home unless I foresee need for further reach or macro opportunities, in which case I would bring the 180 together with a PN-11 extension tube and a 2X TC)

1 flash

1 tripod+head

Lens cleaning stuff

Lots of film ;)

Usually, I had a M6 + 50mm Summicron + 90mm Elmarit + SF20 + Contax T3 in my Billingham Harley bag. I think the weight should be around less than 5kg?

Haha...i'm surprised the nature ppl haven't come in yet. This really depends on what u shoot. I'm easily over 10kg on nature shoots and way less on street shoots.

hmmmm
D100 w/mb-d100
D70
F5
SLRn
12-24
24-70
24-120
70-200
sb-80
sb-800 x2
SD-8A
laptop
gitzo tripod and acratech head
8 litestands
3x1500ws
3xlarge softbox
2x small softbox
2 spare modeling bulbs
2x 3 set grids
5 reflector bowls

think that's about it..

anka said:
hmmmm
D100 w/mb-d100
D70
F5
SLRn
12-24
24-70
24-120
70-200
sb-80
sb-800 x2
SD-8A
laptop
gitzo tripod and acratech head
8 litestands
3x1500ws
3xlarge softbox
2x small softbox
2 spare modeling bulbs
2x 3 set grids
5 reflector bowls

think that's about it..

You carry all these per shootout??? Unbelieveable... :confused:

My Checklist:

D90
18-200 (with hood)
50 f1.8
SB-600 (with demb diffuser + reflector)
Slik Sprint Pro Tripod
Filters + pouch
Spare batts
Mini torch
Lenspen + blower
SD cards + reader
Mini umbrella
Mineral water (500ml)
Earphones + hp batt
Optional Asus EEE (10 inch) Laptop
Optional Lumix FZ18
Optional F31fd

All into a haversack (Done!)

Last edited:
I'll carry a body and a lens for a sunday walkabout in town and perhaps a flash or tripod if needed. I'm kind of lazy and get sick of lugging heavy stuffs around!

I'll bring a trunk load of strobes, stands, accessories for assignments. Lucky me, I've got transport!