Please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnaway

Feb 6, 2004
SengKang
Hi all "lao jiaos",

I am interested in taking up photogrpahy as a hobby.

Can you advice me on the equipment and accessories (type/no. of lens, tripod size etc)? :sweat:

My main focus shld be nature and scenary pictures.

I am into digital SLR (any tips?)

Thank you so much! :bigeyes:

about 2-3K i know is not that much :sweat: .
I heard that nikon is going to launch the D70 and the price is very attractive.

burnaway said:
My main focus shld be nature and scenary pictures.

"should be"?

you need to know what you WANT to shoot, no such things as "should be". otherwise you'd probably get the wrong equipment right from the start, and thus starting off a Buy Buy Buy cycle prematurely...

There are plenty of digital SLRs in the market, preferrably your budget will need to be clarified and stated first.

Nikon D70/D100 + AF-S 12-24mm f/4G DX

Canon 300D/10D + EF 16-35mm f/4L

Accessories should include a circular polarising filter, spare batteries and compact flash card(s).

Tripod wise, with the above setup mentioned, a Manfrotto 190B Pro + 482RC2 ballhead should be sufficient enough.

Note: These recommendations are based on your preference for nature/scenic photography. They'll change from time to time when you move into other various parts for eg. portraits/macro.

burnaway said:
about 2-3K i know is not that much :sweat: .
I heard that nikon is going to launch the D70 and the price is very attractive.

Does your budget includes buying of other accessories, such as tripod, flash card, storage bag, lenses, dry box/cabinet, batteries, etc. All these are hidden costs.

Some of the accessories are essential, so do state them also. Then we can recommend which camera and accessories are suited for you and your scope of interest.

hi burnaway,

would recommend getting an entry level DSLR like Canon 300D with the kit lens to get you started (total cost < $2K). The Nikon D70 might have slightly better specifications than the 300D but is not yet for sale in Singapore. The range of focal lengths for the kit lens is from wide angle (great for landscapes) to medium telephoto (for close-ups) which covers 80-90% of your needs.

cheers,

espn said:
There are plenty of digital SLRs in the market, preferrably your budget will need to be clarified and stated first.

Nikon D70/D100 + AF-S 12-24mm f/4G DX

Canon 300D/10D + EF 16-35mm f/4L

Accessories should include a circular polarising filter, spare batteries and compact flash card(s).

Tripod wise, with the above setup mentioned, a Manfrotto 190B Pro + 482RC2 ballhead should be sufficient enough.

Note: These recommendations are based on your preference for nature/scenic photography. They'll change from time to time when you move into other various parts for eg. portraits/macro.

Whenever did Canon came out with a EF 16-35 F/4L ???? :blah:

Hi friend;

It's good to hear that you are venturing into photography as a hobby. Rightnow, though your concern may be equipment related, you also need to ask yourself how comfortable you are with a SLR or a DSLR for that matter.

It's not about the gear for now if you want to get the basics right. Digital or otherwise, but keep an open mind to suggestions, start with a decent kit like a SLR or maybe if you are more keen on going digital, get a prosumer camera, (like the Canon G5) with enough flexibility for you to express your creativity.

From there on, read, shoot, share with all of us your endeavour and keep shooting some more. :)

exactly what do you want to do?

basics:
tripod
cf card
computer/usb card reader
camera bag/backpack

Systems:
canon / nikon / olympus / fuji / minolta etc
macro prime lens (eg: 100mm f/2.8 macro)
wide angle zoom lens (12-24 / 16-35 / 17 /40)
standard zoom lens (24-135 / 28 -135)
telephoto zoom lens ( 70-200 / 70 - 300)
super telephoto zoom lens (50 - 500, 80-400, 135-400)

etc

Hi, welcome to the hobby. Why don't you try borrowing a camera from a relative/friend? When you're comfortable with visualising the kinds of photos you want and able to get them on print/screen, then shop around for something that will stay with you for a long time. It pains me to hear of another person falling into the "buy -> sell -> upgrade -> repeat" cycle.

A simple way that started me on visualisation is a pencil and a sketch book. Start sketching the scenery that you want to capture, then try getting what you sketched onto a photo. In this way, you will learn about perspectives, distances and composition.

Digital photography is a good way to accelerate the learning as you can see the results of your composition almost instantly and learn what makes a photo pleasing to your eye.

Do turn up for SEED and pick up tips from the regulars. You may also try signing up for courses like those that SAFRA offers (not plugging for them, just a suggestion ;p )

Also, visit the library and get some books on photography.

cheers
Andrew

Thank to all that reply me with all that tips and information :bsmilie:
Actually i using the panasonic DMC LC40 but now but it was not i really wanted .That why i switching to dSLR to explore my world with it ha ha :devil:
I will go to the library to borrow book and do my study. :kok:
I and going to take up baisc course too.
Wish me Good Luck

Hey Silver.Wolf, your Photo gallery is awesome! :thumbsup:

I Like the gallery "Photo Journal" !

blurblock said:
Whenever did Canon came out with a EF 16-35 F/4L ???? :blah:
I thot so too..... :D
Should be EF 16-35 F/2.8L.

I would recommend getting an slr-like prosumer camera to start with first. It would minimize your loss if you find dslr too much to handle afterwards. Slr-like camera would give a feel of the range of creativity that slrs would offer just like what the others have said. Wait till you find it unable to suit your needs anymore, then you upgrade to a dslr.

Status
Not open for further replies.