Please help recommend lens for landscape shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin79

Dec 30, 2008
Hi, I've just gotten a 17-50 Tamron lens and hoping to get another one for landscape shooting. As such, what is/are the recommended len and filter i should get? On a tight budget (below $1000), i dont mind 2nd hand for now. Thanks in advance

Hi, I've just gotten a 17-50 Tamron lens and hoping to get another one for landscape shooting. As such, what is/are the recommended len and filter i should get? On a tight budget (below $1000), i dont mind 2nd hand for now. Thanks in advance

$1000 is alot $$ can buy 2 used ultra wide angle. tokina 12-24 f4 is my call. i treid the sigma 10-20 before not as contrasty & the tokina is v well build.

you can get the GND and CPL for landscape.

for myself im using canon's 10-22 with the b+w slim CPL

get CPL, ND and graduate filters. 70-300mm lens as well. tele zoom lens can also be use for landscape too.

1 cents worth

Buy a Nikon FC-E9 Fish-Eye Converter Lens, a 46mm to 52mm step-up ring, any Nikon 50mm f1.8 or f1.4, and you are ready for fisheye landscape photography.

41R14QMB5ZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Total cost - less than S$350.

Last edited:
i agree with Photobum, the converter is a cheaper option but you'll see some distortion similiar to fish eye effect. Some are very fish eye, while the other option is only "slightly" fish eye. ;)

I won't recommend the Tokina 12-24mm/f4 (about 760-770) very highly, if you could increase your budget, by all means go for Tokina 11-16mm/f2.8 (1100-1200).

In my opinion if you can't get the 11-16, then just get a good nikkor lens.
You can always go to http://www.nikon.com.sg/products.php?categoryid=21 to check the type & price.
Or do you want to do portrait? The 50mm f1.8 is quite cheap! only 179. :lovegrin:

there's also the 16-85 f3.5. the website may say 1099, but ms colour/alan photo/cathay/parisilk sure can give cheaper than that! ;)

hope this helps! :sweatsm:

BTW, I personally use tokina 11-16mm with Vitacon CPL filter. The shop i went to allowed me to play and compare 12-24 & 11-16.
after comparing i was sold for the 11-16, although i'm really rather broke rite now......
:sweat::sweat::sweat::sweat::sweat:

one question. why must always go wide if you want to shoot landscape? tele zooms cannot meh?

one question. why must always go wide if you want to shoot landscape? tele zooms cannot meh?

mmm.... i've never used tele zoom before, so really can't comment. but what i found from using the 18-105 is that the angle of view is really limited during one of my trips...... that's why i wanted to get the wideangle lens.

i guess its better in the sense that you can see wider? less photo stitching required. ;)

You can always go to http://www.nikon.com.sg/products.php?categoryid=21 to check the type & price.
Or do you want to do portrait? The 50mm f1.8 is quite cheap! only 179. :lovegrin:

Thanks, very useful but too many lens to choose. which one for landscape ah?
Got show the price?

u have to decide you want wide angles or teles?

camera and lenses are only tools for the person behind it to make good use of them.

if u wanna go wide (not fish hor), i can only recommend u get a good copy of sigma 10-20. if what u want is wide, might as well 10-20, not 12-24. not that the tokina 12-24 is no gd, its more of the focal length issue.

u have to decide you want wide angles or teles?

camera and lenses are only tools for the person behind it to make good use of them.

Oh, i'd prefer to take wide angle

Legendary landscape photographer Ansel Adams used to shoot landscape with a 300mm lens on a 8" x 10" large format camera, which is equivalent to about 50mm on 35mm format (about a 30mm for S5 Pro).

If you photograph Yosemite National Park, like Ansel did, a 30mm lens on the S5 Pro is ideal (otherwise the trees and mountains will look tiny. The subjects will loose its grandeur). But if you photograph Bishan Park with a 30mm, it is not wide enough.

Bottomline is, your lens choice has got something to do with the scale of your subject.

Last edited:
so is it save to mention that it depends on the photog of how he wants the pic to be then he decide on the lens?

Speaking of Legends, the famous (late) Galen Rowell relied heavily on his 20mm (35mm film) lens.

http://www.mountainlight.com/rowell/gr_camera_bag.html

For your DX system, as long as you get the equivalent lens with such a focal length, it should be wide enough.

However, a 20mm lens tends to create distortions if it is not level and so it has to be used with care, although they can be easily corrected in Photoshop nowadays.

Alternatively, a 24mm lens is easier to master and is still wide-enough for landscapes.

As for filters, it is best to pay more for the "SLIM" types as mechanical vignetting is more likely to occur with wide angled lenses than with normal ones.

Last edited:

hope this helps! :sweatsm:

By the way,i've tried to put on the 50mm portrait lens, but it shows FEE on the LCD display near the trigger. Any idea why I cant use this lens on S5pro? Or is there something i need to set?

By the way,i've tried to put on the 50mm portrait lens, but it shows FEE on the LCD display near the trigger. Any idea why I cant use this lens on S5pro? Or is there something i need to set?

see the aperture ring? turn it to 22 (or whatever the largest number is). the F EE shd go away. then use the little switch to lock it at F22

My lenses for landscape shooting....

Nikkor 18-70mm & Tokina 12-24mm.

Utilised anywhere from 12mm to 70mm for all my landscape shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.