Please help recommend a compact cam


Status
Not open for further replies.

pop

New Member
Jun 10, 2002
387
0
0
Visit site
#1
My W5 lcd cracked. cost too much to repair, so I'm thinking of getting a new cam.

I want one that is lightweight, compact. Good picture quality is top priority but I do not need much of manual options, just want one that can take good night shots. Budget, less than $600 if possible. 4-5 MP will do.

I was looking at ixus 50/55 just now, that kind of size or smaller will be fine. But it doesn't have anti-shake feature that some other models now have like panasonic lumix, nikon coolpix and casio exilim, right? not sure which specific model though, just remember strongly their advertisement have this "anti-shake or face priority" kind of thing.
 

pop

New Member
Jun 10, 2002
387
0
0
Visit site
#3
thanks for the lead. went into that thread, but not much info though, no mention of coolpix and exilim nor ixus.

i'm flying off sunday, so hope to make a quick decision and buy one before I fly.
 

wiz23

Senior Member
Jun 20, 2005
2,940
0
0
Bukit Panjang
www.pbase.com
#4
pop said:
thanks for the lead. went into that thread, but not much info though, no mention of coolpix and exilim nor ixus.

i'm flying off sunday, so hope to make a quick decision and buy one before I fly.
Frankly, it's hard to help u if u have not done any preliminary research and shortlisted ur choices. There are too many models to choose from nowadays.

I don't have time now ... But u can go to Equipment discussion, and under each brand, look for discussions on certain models of compacts. I personally chose Fuji F11. U can read about it in the Fujifilm discussion threads :)
 

pop

New Member
Jun 10, 2002
387
0
0
Visit site
#6
Thanks, been to dpreview now. Been impressed with the reviews of finepix F10 and lumix FX9.

Lumix has Image stabilizer though and lighter so I'm leaning towards that.

Is F11 about the same as F10?

Both has no optical viewfinder which is a nice plus when batt is low and you need to switch off lcd.
 

pop

New Member
Jun 10, 2002
387
0
0
Visit site
#7
on further reading, while dpreview has excellent rating for lumix fx9, there are a few posts here where people who bought it aren't happy with it.
 

wiz23

Senior Member
Jun 20, 2005
2,940
0
0
Bukit Panjang
www.pbase.com
#9
pop said:
Thanks, been to dpreview now. Been impressed with the reviews of finepix F10 and lumix FX9.

Lumix has Image stabilizer though and lighter so I'm leaning towards that.

Is F11 about the same as F10?

Both has no optical viewfinder which is a nice plus when batt is low and you need to switch off lcd.
F11 is almost identical to F10, except it has better LCD resolution, and added Shutter & Aperture priority mode. I'm not sure whether I missed out any other improvement made :dunno: Because of F10/11's high iso option (up to 1600), u can take quite nice low light shots. Of course, noise will be an issue if u intend to blow it up.

I wouldn't go for FX9 if noise is an issue to u ... And because of it's small & slim dimensions, camera shake is more likely to happen. Hence, it's Mega OIS function just abt cancels the effect of camera shake. Which means u end up in square number 1. That is just my opinion ;)

Anyway, some CSers have been comparing F11 to Canon A620. You can read abt it in these threads:

Canon Powershot A620
F11 or A620?
F11 sample photos

I have also started a poll in response to people like u asking for recommendations for digital compacts :)

Which digital compact will u buy?

Hope all these will help u decide. All the best :cheers:
 

pop

New Member
Jun 10, 2002
387
0
0
Visit site
#10
Nice job with the poll there, wiz123.

Canon A620 is a lot bulkier and heavier than the rest I suppose.

I do want to have one that will slip nicely into my trousers pocket.

When you mention low-light situation which F11 is better you actually mean it is better in taking night shots versus FX9 which I was also considering?

Coolpix S4 seems quite popular too.

S4, F11, FX9, how are their batt life? My present cam W5 uses AA so it is easy to bring a few spare AAs around, but lithium-ion, long batt life is very important.
 

wiz23

Senior Member
Jun 20, 2005
2,940
0
0
Bukit Panjang
www.pbase.com
#12
pop said:
Anyone knows the price of F11?
I gather from the Fujifilm discussion group that

MS Colour, Block 711 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, #01-3501C, Tel: 6457 6380

has one of the best offers for the F11: $590 with 256Mb xD card & leather case, $648 with 512Mb xD card & leather case, $699 with 1Gb xD card & leather case. Do call first to confirm the price. If u go down to the shop, ask them to throw in a LCD protector FOC, should be no problem :)
 

wiz23

Senior Member
Jun 20, 2005
2,940
0
0
Bukit Panjang
www.pbase.com
#13
pop said:
When you mention low-light situation which F11 is better you actually mean it is better in taking night shots versus FX9 which I was also considering?

Coolpix S4 seems quite popular too.

S4, F11, FX9, how are their batt life? My present cam W5 uses AA so it is easy to bring a few spare AAs around, but lithium-ion, long batt life is very important.
Regarding night shots ... among the 3 compacts u mentioned, I think u can't go wrong with the F11. But, taking night shots, use of a tripod is important. With a good tripod, u don't need to push ISO to 1600, then noise would be more under control :) I'm not sure abt the S4, but F11 has better noise management than FX9 ... And for S4 & FX9, u don't even have the choice of pushing ISO to 1600 ;p

Regarding battery life ... If u read the in-depth dpreview on F10 carefully, u will notice it has one of the best battery life in its class. Quoting from dpreview, F10 has "class leading battery life". I would expect F11 to be at least equal to F10.

I bought my F11 this Mon, have taken abt 150 shots with it, battery indicator is still full ...
 

nuts

Senior Member
Jan 21, 2002
2,051
0
36
48
www.roving-light.com
#14
The ixus image quality is very good (at least for the ixus400, the older model). FYI ;)
 

pop

New Member
Jun 10, 2002
387
0
0
Visit site
#15
I still have an ixus 330 before i bought my W5 and I find it takes better nite shots than my
w5. it is still working, but one charge of the batt can hardly last a day trip out. good thing about it is when batt low, I can switch to optical viewfinder to conserve energy.

Am now seriously considering F11 but I am prepared to spend only $600 so i may just opt for the basic package with just 256MB xd card.
 

wiz23

Senior Member
Jun 20, 2005
2,940
0
0
Bukit Panjang
www.pbase.com
#16
pop said:
I still have an ixus 330 before i bought my W5 and I find it takes better nite shots than my
w5. it is still working, but one charge of the batt can hardly last a day trip out. good thing about it is when batt low, I can switch to optical viewfinder to conserve energy.

Am now seriously considering F11 but I am prepared to spend only $600 so i may just opt for the basic package with just 256MB xd card.
For normal usage, 256 xD card is sufficient I guess. But if u're going overseas with only 256Mb ... U have any alternative storage media??
 

pop

New Member
Jun 10, 2002
387
0
0
Visit site
#17
I recently took my W5 with 256MB ms overseas, and i could do like 400 shots or thereabout? I do have to clear away bad shots to conserve space though.
 

pop

New Member
Jun 10, 2002
387
0
0
Visit site
#18
what about Finepix Z2, seems ultra compact? I couldn't find any review of it yet at dpreview.
 

pop

New Member
Jun 10, 2002
387
0
0
Visit site
#19
Sony T5/T7 also look ultra compact. No reviews at dpreview but the users comments seem divided, they either like it or hate it.
 

wiz23

Senior Member
Jun 20, 2005
2,940
0
0
Bukit Panjang
www.pbase.com
#20
I have no experience with these 2 ultra compacts ... But, generally, I steer clear of ultras. There is always some compromise for a camera to me so small & slim. It may not be true in the near future at the rate technology is advancing, but, right now, I think this 'rule' is still valid ...
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom