02. Megapixel count?
03. Optical zoom factor?
04. Size?
05. Type of batteries used?
06. Weight?
07. Able to mount lenses/filters?
08. Manual controls required?
09. Auto-Focus Speed?
10. What kind of pictures are you hoping to take?

Hi there follow members,

I am new to this forum and need your kind assistance. Fisrt of all good day people. I am looking at getting a digatal camera in the next few days.

Below are my requirements:

1- below $1500, hopefully around the price of the cannon g3($1200).
2- 4MP and above.
3- The more the merrier. :)
4- Size does not really matter, just one with features.
5- AA or lithium. (is AA better than lithium?)
6- Just like the size, does not really matter, just one that feel and weigh alright, something not out of the ordinary.
7- Yup.
8- I assume its the mucking around of the shutter speed and aperture, right. Than its a YES.
9- Faster is better. Also, the time better shots is pretty important, so that i don't have to wait too long between shots.
10- Just the everyday kinda pics, this camera will sort of replace my SLR. Night shots is a must, with also the ability to capture fast moving objects, like cars. micros coming a close 3rd.

I was actually thinking of getting the cannon G3, but is now having 2nd thoughts. I went down to SLS afew times thinking of getting some advice, but those suckers down there don't seem to be too helpfull.

As i have saved for this coming camera for awhile, i really hope that i will not regret my purchase.

I would appreciate if some kind souls in this kind forum could help me out. A list of other cameras with the likes of nikon, minota, fuji, or actually any other makes that will suit my needs will be great, and/or with also ther pros and cons.

Or should i stick the cannon g3?

Please help and thanks in advance.

Regards,
CG3

01. Budget?
02. Megapixel count?
03. Optical zoom factor?
04. Size?
06. Weight?
09. Auto-Focus Speed?

Hi there follow members,

I am new to this forum and need your kind assistance. Fisrt of all good day people. I am looking at getting a digatal camera in the next few days.

2- 4MP and above.
6- Just like the size, does not really matter, just one that feel and weigh alright, something not out of the ordinary.
7- Yup.
8- I assume its the mucking around of the shutter speed and aperture, right. Than its a YES.
9- Faster is better. Also, the time better shots is pretty important, so that i don't have to wait too long between shots.
10- Just the everyday kinda pics, this camera will sort of replace my SLR. Night shots is a must, with also the ability to capture fast moving objects, like cars. micros coming a close 3rd.

I was actually thinking of getting the cannon G3, but is now having 2nd thoughts. I went down to SLS afew times thinking of getting some advice, but those suckers down there don't seem to be too helpfull.

As i have saved for this coming camera for awhile, i really hope that i will not regret my purchase.

I would appreciate if some kind souls in this kind forum could help me out. A list of other cameras with the likes of nikon, minota, fuji, or actually any other makes that will suit my needs will be great, and/or with also ther pros and cons.

Regards,
CG3

Originally posted by CG3
01. Budget?
02. Megapixel count?
03. Optical zoom factor?
04. Size?
06. Weight?
09. Auto-Focus Speed?

Hi there follow members,

2- 4MP and above.
7- Yup.

Regards,
CG3

With your budget, i would think the Fuji S602 would your needs closest. A G3 would do as well.

Not too sure abt G3's pros but i know it has one con, which is the optical viewfinder is partly obscured by the lense barrel. I find that a major irritation.

However, the S602 is rated @ 3MP. Unless you are going to be printing out your shots alot and blowing them up to 8R sizes, i would say that 3MP would more than suffice.

G3 's optical zoom factor is 4X while the S602 is 6X and the S602 is definately faster in terms of shutter lag, so for those fast shot, you would most definately appreciate that.

But keep in mind that all DC, prosumer or otherwise suffer from shutter lag. Both S602 & G3 has manual control.

Pricing wise, S602 is definately more economical, giving you more cash for other accessories and an external flash.

S602 has it's cons, where it has problem focusing in low light conditions (example: dimly lit room. But then again, most cameras have this problem to a certain degree)

Well, this is pretty much a brief overview.

Feel free to clarify if you have further doubts but kindly refrain from dual posts ok? :)

Happy Shopping! :)

602Z's 3MP SuperCCD captures as much details as the G3's 4MP CCD, so there's no loss in resolution.

Minolta 7hi, Sony F717, CP5700 are all slightly above ur budget but they meet all the requirements u listed.

If you wanna get G3, don't please. Get the 602. Or S45, it's much better.. at least the OVF doesn't get obstructed by the lens barrel.

I had the impression that the 717 was going for $1.4k w/o GST.

Anyway, go down to Cathay Photo instead of the "suckers at SLS", I'm sure you'll get the help you'll need. They even allow you to test out the camera. :)

First of all thanks for all the helpful replys... :)

Secondly I got a few queries and they are as follows:

- Hows the picture quality between the G3, S602z, CP5700, 717, 7Hi... ie, which has a better picture? Especially between the G3 and S602?

- Anyone with any of the above cameras or similar, care to comment on their purchase...picture quality, overall functions, regrets ect...

- How does the 3MP of the S602 get pump up to 6MP? Will it be equal or better than those 4MP-6MP digital cameras?

- Will the rechargable AA batteries outlast those lithium ones? Which is better?

- I will also be looking at getting the following together:
* Bag,
* Tripod,
* One 512MB compactflash or two 256MB (any comments if I should get 1 larger or 2 smaller cards? and what brand?)
* Filters,
* Flash.
Any recommendations and pricing will be great to work out my buget.

- Where do you guys recommend me to do my shopping that has friendly and knowledgeable sales people, with competitive pricing besides Cathay Photo?

Any other helpful comments will very much appreciated. Thanks.

Regards...

Sorry guys for putting up with my numerous enquries... ;p

wow sure leh?
717 is 1.4K now?
soo cheap already?

surpice too
i suggest u get 602z it's got x6 opitcal and can add lens like TC too
althougt is 3mp but it can intepol to 6mp but not adviceable

and it cheap too around 1.1K
the others u can get accessories like memory, bags, tripod too
ehhe.
:cool:

Check this thread out. 2nd hand Nikon CP5700 is sure to meet your budget. Furthermore its a 5MP camera. Superb color and image quality.

Don't let people tell you u don't need so much megapixel. More megapixel is not for enlargement purpose only, but more importantly for cropping (which u will need often) without loss of details. :)

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?threadid=23982

hi guys,

looks like i m also have the same dilema. i wanna get a dc by latest end of march but try to get one if i can by feb. wat do u guys think abt the nikon 5000? although i m considering the fuji602z, i was told dat nikon is more frenly becoz u can get their accessories like lenses, filters etc more easily in the market. issit true? as mentioned , all dcs have a lag time in between shots. i wanna get something wif the least lag time coz i m into action photography.

thnx

Originally posted by CG3
First of all thanks for all the helpful replys... :)

Secondly I got a few queries and they are as follows:

- Hows the picture quality between the G3, S602z, CP5700, 717, 7Hi... ie, which has a better picture? Especially between the G3 and S602?

CP5700, 717, 7hi are in a league of their own being 5mp cameras. Superb quality and zoom. Very worth considering. A light off ur budget. But at least you won't regret it.

602z, G3 are 3mp, 4mp respectively. The 6x zoom 602z has is a good buy and it has EVF also, something the G3 lack which I think is impt for a 4mp and above cams.

*Note: LCDs suck up the most of the battery power. So a EVF is a must for prosumer cams.

- Anyone with any of the above cameras or similar, care to comment on their purchase...picture quality, overall functions, regrets ect...

Me using CP5700, I got friends using all the cameras listed in ur Q (except G3). The quality of the pictures taken can be seen in the following links. For your reference only

http://www.pbase.com/dainty <- 5700 (and some 2500)
http://www.pbase.com/alvinong <- Minolta 7hi
http://www.pbase.com/lindyyy/fuji_finepix_602z <- 602z

I was desperate for the 5700 that I found one in Best connection I just took it without further hesitation, paying a costly $1,888, no freebies, NOTHING :( . Heard that CP is selling it at $1,7xx.

- How does the 3MP of the S602 get pump up to 6MP? Will it be equal or better than those 4MP-6MP digital cameras?

The 602z will add in more pixels to make it into a 6mp picture (aka interpolation). As a result the picture is 6mp in size but the sharpness and details are not there. Most 602z camera users keep their settings at the default 3mp. Of course 3mp quality cannot be compared up to 4mp-6mp cameras. But compared with G3, the 602z although 1mp less, the zoom and it's features actually make up for the 1mp resolution less.

- Will the rechargable AA batteries outlast those lithium ones? Which is better?...

Ahh a big headache for me when I bought my cam :(

- The 602z and 7hi are the only ones using AA batteries (depending on the battery type can last pretty long)

- 5700 uses EN-L1 proprietary (270 shots) alternatively requires the MB-E5700 (OUTTA STOCK IN SG!!!! *curse n swear*) which uses 6AA (400 shots)

- 717 uses the sony's proprietary battery, but is currently the 2nd longest lasting battery in the market now. up to 3 hours continously.

- I will also be looking at getting the following together:
* Bag,
* Tripod,
* One 512MB compactflash or two 256MB (any comments if I should get 1 larger or 2 smaller cards? and what brand?)
* Filters,
* Flash.
Any recommendations and pricing will be great to work out my buget....

- Crumpler bags are kewl :)
- Manfrotto tripods are good
- 2 x 256MB, well just incase 1 dies, u have another, putting all in a 512 always seems risky to me.
___- Transcend 256MB CF 25X - $150
___- Ridata 256MB CF 20X - $140
- UV filter (a MUST!)
___- thread adapter for 5700
___- lens cap for the UV filter
___- Cir Polariser
___- Macro Filters (for macro shots)
- 285HV Vivatar Flash is quite ok - $165

- Where do you guys recommend me to do my shopping that has friendly and knowledgeable sales people, with competitive pricing besides Cathay Photo?...

Alan Photo @ SLS first floor.

I personally prefer CP cos of their service.

Hope my replies helped.

Originally posted by pker88
wow sure leh?
717 is 1.4K now?
soo cheap already?

Yes, that is way cheap from the 1699 I was quoted before I got my 5700

Originally posted by pker88
wow tat is a good deal
the 5700
better get is asap if u want
too me dont have the cash else i will get it
;)

Doh... beg borrow or STEAL!!! GO GET IT! :) Value for money, you won't regret it. Never!

Originally posted by spirit
hi guys,

looks like i m also have the same dilema. i wanna get a dc by latest end of march but try to get one if i can by feb. wat do u guys think abt the nikon 5000? although i m considering the fuji602z, i was told dat nikon is more frenly becoz u can get their accessories like lenses, filters etc more easily in the market. issit true? as mentioned , all dcs have a lag time in between shots. i wanna get something wif the least lag time coz i m into action photography.

thnx

If you're into action photography, forget DC. Consider film cameras instead. It's much faster in reaction and response. Canon EOS cameras and the Nikon F series are quite ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.