please give some advice

luckyorange

Jan 13, 2011
Ang Mo Kio
hi guys. currently im using a Nikon D3000, wanted to get a prime lens for it, but dont wish to too much on it haha.. so im thinking of getting a 50mm prime lens due to the price.. and because of that i must use MF instead of using AF.. so can i ask is it possible to MF on D3000 using 50mm prime/? target will be shooting night, some scenery in singapore and maybe some marco on flower.. is it possible?

Last edited:
hi guys. currently im using a Nikon D3000, wanted to get a prime lens for it, but dont wish to too much on it haha.. so im thinking of getting a 50mm prime lens due to the price.. and because of that i must use MF instead of using AF.. so can i ask is it possible to MF on D3000 using 50mm prime/? target will be shooting night, some scenery in singapore and maybe some marco on flower.. is it possible?

Not sure if your question is "Is is possible to use Manual Focusing (MF) on D3000 with Nikkor 50mm f1.8D to shoot macro & scenery?"

Yes, why not...??:) Just think - "rewind back to future" and during earlyyyyy daysss where Full-Manual-Film Cameras still able to captured "Night-Scenic" pics...agree...?;)

Furthermore, for capturing Scenic you don't really need a fast one like sports/dance-performances, and still even tho the latter is still very possible...!!! That's why during earlyyyyy daysss where Full-Manual-Film Cameras still able to captured "Dance-perfomances/sports"...pics and not forgetting:bigeyes:still need time to flip your thumb to crank-it/advance-to-next-frame things as well as changing-the-film once reached 36-exposure:sweat:...agree??:bsmilie:

Last edited:
Not sure if your question is "Is is possible to use Manual Focusing (MF) on D3000 with Nikkor 50mm f1.8D to shoot macro & scenery?"

something like this i guess? haha. sorry for the mistake..

Yes, why not...??:) Just think - "rewind back to future" and during earlyyyyy daysss where Full-Manual-Film Cameras still able to captured "Night-Scenic" pics...agree...?;)

Furthermore, for capturing Scenic you don't really need a fast one like sports/dance-performances, and still even tho the latter is still very possible...!!! That's why during earlyyyyy daysss where Full-Manual-Film Cameras still able to captured "Dance-perfomances/sports"...pics and not forgetting still need time to flip your thumb to crank-it/advance-to-next-frame things...agree??:bsmilie:

hmm i agreed with that,, haha its best if i could use the 50mm haha. can save 150 for other stuff =)

using focusing confirmation is rather hit or miss.
changing to spit image focusing screen is rather expensive, unless you go for MIC variant.
you can try use live view, not the faster way, but at least result guaranteed.

using focusing confirmation is rather hit or miss.
changing to spit image focusing screen is rather expensive, unless you go for MIC variant.
you can try use live view, not the faster way, but at least result guaranteed.

That also means you probably gotta put the camera on a tripod most or all of the time. Manually focusing on a small and dark viewfinder (as compared to film cameras) isn't ideal, but as what catchlights said, you can either buy a focusing screen (not worth imo as they are expensive and you might as well just upgrade to a D90 or something so AF will work), or use live view.

IMO the 50/1.8 is not meant for macro because of its 0.45 minimum focus distance.

the problem is D3000 got no live view T.T

CPhotography said:
IMO the 50/1.8 is not meant for macro because of its 0.45 minimum focus distance.

It's great for macro if you reverse it :)

hmm with close up filter? like the hoya x10 close up

Definitely possible with close up filters or extension tubes, or as spree said, reverse mounting it.

there are many things you can do and can not do in your life, if keep focusing on all the things you can't do, you will feel like you are a handicap, why don't do those things what you can do or do best?

the same thing applies on photography, if keep looking at what your camera not designing for, you will feel like that is a piece of junk in your hand, why don't focus on your camera can do best?

beside, we always think that we need something badly, but actually, we only simply just "want" it, and we only find that out after we got it, after all, we may just throw that aside and forgotten about it shortly.

I assume TS already has the 18-55mm kit lens.
Not quite sure how having a fast prime will help with either of the 3 types of photos he listed out.
I would've thought that a tripod or ext flash would be more beneficial.

hmm im thinking do D3000 have live view? i cant find it =x

I assume TS already has the 18-55mm kit lens.
Not quite sure how having a fast prime will help with either of the 3 types of photos he listed out.
I would've thought that a tripod or ext flash would be more beneficial.

hmm tot prime is better for low light? or smth?

hmm i agreed with that,, haha its best if i could use the 50mm haha. can save 150 for other stuff =)

Precisely what I'm trying to tell you...eg. small flash - as "fill-light" SB400 or Nissin Di466..., a good filter, a reasonably good tripod especially "Still-Life" but not so for Insect coz they move but...aiyo you difficult to move about lahhh.....:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Btw, my philosophy in term of "Photography" is:bigeyes:"Learn-To-Photograph, if not, don't photograph" not sweet & sour BUT sweet & simple, you see that...agree, bro??...;)...:bsmilie:

Last edited:

it is, if you use a large aperture like f/1.8, f/2 etc.
But I wouldn't choose to shoot night scenery or macro using large aperture. Stopping down then kinda defeats the purpose of the fast prime.
Which is why I asked what benefit would having a fast prime bring.

My first lens besides the kit lens was also the 50/1.8

Found the focal length kinda awkward when paired with a DX body. Just sharing my experiences... :)

Precisely what I'm trying to tell you...eg. small flash - as "fill-light" SB400 or Nissin Di466..., a good filter, a reasonably good tripod especially "Still-Life" but not so for Insect coz they move but...aiyo you difficult to move about lahhh.....:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Btw, my philosophy in term of "Photography" is:bigeyes:"Learn-To-Photograph, if not, don't photograph" not sweet & sour BUT sweet & simple, you see that...agree, bro??...;)...:bsmilie:

hahahaha ya im learning now haha =x.... ya im trying to keep thing sweet and simple =x

At large apertures like f/1.8 sure. But for scenery we normally use f/8-f/16 in order to have enough depth of field. In that case, no difference to your kit lens @50mm.

At least your kit lens can go wide angle too.