Please give some advice Nikon D300/s or D7000?

chocomilkies

Deregistered
Jul 8, 2011
Why D300s more expensive then the D7000? what's the main difference?

D300s
better build quality
1 fps faster (without grip)
button are more convenient

D7000
Higher mp
lighter body
better ISO performance
new metering sensor

Btw this two body, which is better IQ, better Metering and AF accuracy?
&
why some consumer will selling away D7000 for a D300s?

D300s
better build quality

D7000
Higher mp
lighter body
better ISO performance
new metering sensor

&

Some find the D7000 too small, and the D300s a bit more hefty and solid feeling.
Button layout and menu possibilities also a bit different.

D7000 is very attractive though, considering price vs features. If given a choice I'd take the D7000 over the D300s.

D300s has a larger buffer, in my opinion, superior AF, 8fps with battery grip and correct batteries.

I tried D7000 before, sometime AF will not very consistent, example 10 photos, 1 or 2 are soft images.
I saw D300s photos sharing online, all photos are superior sharp compared with D7000, because of pro body and consumer body?

I tried D7000 before, sometime AF will not very consistent, example 10 photos, 1 or 2 are soft images.
I saw D300s photos sharing online, all photos are superior sharp compared with D7000, because of pro body and consumer body?

here got some my example D300s vs D7000 photos

D300s ISO : 1600
D300S_8748.jpg

D7000 ISO : 6400
D7000_0714.jpg

hope you will like ;)

Actually, if don't need video, the D300 will function the same as the D300s, the savings can go towards a lens.

I opted for the D7000 because of its better high ISO capability. I use it with the grip though, as I am uncomfortable with its small size without the grip. Overall, i am very satisfied with the D7000. It is a little pricy though.

Btw, I just realised that the D7000 is classified as a high-end entry level camera. All the while I thought it belongs to mid-range semi-pro category. Anyway, I don't care, as long as it perform as it should :)

If you know how to handle your files properly, and have a good noise reduction workflow, you might be able to retain more details with a D300s at high ISO than a D7000 at times.

That said, if you really care a lot about high iso noise performance, you should skip all these and just go for a full frame body.

If shooting in good light, or if shooting at base ISO for landscapes etc... personally I will go for D300s. It is just a tougher camera, and gives much better handling. If shooting in high ISO often and require very good performance in terms of noise, FX is the only way to go.

A picture shot with D300s at ISO 3200 handheld and wet from the rain.
7169343074_4672924fcf_c.jpg

Last edited:
ya some more in D300/s function in the D7000 also have.
only miss out the 51 points vs 39 points in D7k
But the battery can be share for D800 as well.

for the D300/s is the old machine so better dont compare with D7000 in high ISO.
for all those people in used the D300/s in Actual Days to cover from morning until night time,
cause we need used with SpeedLight for help in the dark indoor shoot.

ya some more in D300/s function in the D7000 also have.
only miss out the 51 points vs 39 points in D7k
But the battery can be share for D800 as well.

for the D300/s is the old machine so better dont compare with D7000 in high ISO.
for all those people in used the D300/s in Actual Days to cover from morning until night time,
cause we need used with SpeedLight for help in the dark indoor shoot.

Don't discount the D300/D300s/D90 too quickly... You may be surprised...

Not too sure about you... but I still don't find any problems with the D300s when I use it to shoot AD weddings indoors without flash from morning till night...

Last edited:

D300s
better build quality

D7000
Higher mp
lighter body
better ISO performance
new metering sensor

&
the very basic factor is D300/D300s are classified as pro grade bodies. D7000 is not.

catchlights said:
the very basic factor is D300/D300s are classified as pro grade bodies. D7000 is not.

If got chance to grap up a D300 on the cheap, I will say it is well worth the money.

Like what u said, my only gripe about the D7000 is its ergonomics. I have big hands and I really miss the size of the bigger boys.

if I want to take wild life and racing, the best choice is D300/s? because the AF better then D7000, I could't call the animals and racing car repeat again.

if I want to take wild life and racing, the best choice is D300/s? because the AF better then D7000, I could't call the animals and racing car repeat again.

Again... what is your light condition you expect?

...let me ask you, if you are to share photos online, will you share those soft images that you get? Or only the good ones? ........... so does that mean that all your shots are sharp?:dunno:

IMO, I'll go for the D300s.. it is without doubt a better, higher grade camera.

yes definitely D300s. I've been using d300 for many years and when I rented a d7000 I was shocked at the difference in the af accuracy and speed. that's just one point on top of the others that's mentioned

Hi all, this is also my problem. I m using a D90 and felt like upgrading. Contemplatin between the 2. FF bodies are a little far fetch for me. Or mayb i should stay w my D90 n save up for ff.

The problm i face w my D90 is when i take indoor events like bday in the day, i also need to use flash for good shot. I use iso max 1600, beyond tat, noise wil b present. If i dun use flash even at f1.8, my shutter wil b lik 1/15, 1/30.. Too slow at times. Is d300s iso better performer? Cos D7000 can go up til 25600.

So what are my choices? Any opinion would b appreciated.

hi,have you decided on a d30 or d7000"?

I no decide yet, i'm waiting another two body will release end of this year, D600 or DX body.
I like D300/s handing & AF performance but iso performance no as good as D7000.
I'm also thinking to D700, but FX len very expensive. x.x