Please advise. Picture titled: Play.

chertay

Jun 24, 2008
DSC_0154_edited.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
The exposure, shutter speed as well as aperture to improve on.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Would like to capture emotion on pictures. To define the perfect moment

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This picture was taken in a rather cheerful mood. Parents were cheering and the children were enjoying themselves.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
-please advise-

I rather to choose only one kid at a time, in order to capture his/her emotion. But a good tried :) , keep shooting and share .

It's a nice concept. I like how you slowed the shutter speed down to show movement. I love photos of children with blurry movement. :D

One thing to take note though, which one is your subject? You're shooting them playing but can't really see them 'having fun' or 'splashing' etc. It'll be good if you can have one kid maybe closer to you, facing you smiling brightly. :) and a tighter crop will be nice too. Feels like there's a little too much negative space. :p hehe

Thanks for sharing! I like the way you process the b&w image. :)

Hey biskandar thanks for the advice :) appreciate the comment. Will work on it and try again! Cheers

Thanks bonrya! Appreciate the pointers. I guess I have to pay more attention to the focus of the subject rather than the entire footage. Will try again! Cheers!
It's a nice concept. I like how you slowed the shutter speed down to show movement. I love photos of children with blurry movement. :D

One thing to take note though, which one is your subject? You're shooting them playing but can't really see them 'having fun' or 'splashing' etc. It'll be good if you can have one kid maybe closer to you, facing you smiling brightly. :) and a tighter crop will be nice too. Feels like there's a little too much negative space. :p hehe

Thanks for sharing! I like the way you process the b&w image. :)

I actually would have preferred to have that little caucasian baby more in the center of the frame, with the kids playing in the background. Would give the image a feeling of the child being undecided if he should play or not.

Nothing is in focus, my eye could not settle on something. I agree with Rashkae that you should have the caucasian toddler more in the center, in fact, i thought u could have focused on him. I look at the different kids in the frame, i thought the only one who stood out was the caucasian toddler.

When your street image has so many kids in there, u could do with a bit of focus. If not, it is difficult for the viewer to decide what you are trying to show. Its like i cant even decipher what is the thing in the image that caught your eye to make u want to capture this shot, granted its perhaps the kids playing. But u said its to capture the emotion, but i cant really see unless i stare really hard. Unless there is a kid with a joyous expression which stands out, if not, its really difficult.

Close in more, the blurry water is fine. "Odd is the number to go". Read this http://www.digital-photography-school.com/the-odd-rule-of-composition
Your angle is not ideal. Your subject is loose. I can't see expression. If you have reservation moving near to the kids, use a tele lens to keep the children out of curiosity.

actually i kinda like this. but maybe you can try shooting from their eye level, i.e. squat. i think it's more flattering for children photography. good attempt though

Half cents worth...
It appears that you were standing? I agree that shooting from their eye level will be more flattering. (similarly for pets, I usually shoot my dogs on my fours).
Perhaps you could also focus on the one kid (caucasian) and blur out the rest or point and follow one kid (the one walking) so that the rest is blurred using TV mode and appropriate shutter speed?
It is a nice idea....
Thanks for sharing.

Hi Chertay,

I'm a newbie in photography. When I first see this photo I was seaching for a subject. As most of the bro & sis have mention, I also prefer if you can close up and focus on 1 kid instead taking them in a group.
But if you prefer to take group photo to show the kids having fun together, I suggest you can tighten your frame, lower your angle, faster shutter speed and use higher aperture to wipe up the distraction from the background

Just a suggestion:)

Last edited: