Please advise on which UWA lens to buy.

chillicutter

Apr 26, 2010
Telok Blangah
Hi all,

I am planning to buy a UWA lens but I couldn't decide which make to buy.:dunno:

I had narrow down the search between Tokina and Nikkor.

Can the seniors here advise on this? I am using a DX body (D7000)

Thanks in advance.:)

How do we know what you want, your budget, what you need it for, what you will be shooting, etc etc etc???

Only you know all this.

How do we know what you want, your budget, what you need it for, what you will be shooting, etc etc etc???

Only you know all this.

I wanna shoot landscape and cityscape.

Budget is $1500. Thank you.

And what lenses have you tested? What reviews have you read? What research have you done?

For Nikkor alone, there's so many to choose from...

Nikkor AF-S 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED DX
Nikkor AF-S 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED DX
Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G ED N
Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm f/4 G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8 D IF-ED
Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 G IF-ED DX
Nikkor AF 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D ED

How to decide? and why are you letting other people tell you what to buy? It's your money...

For Nikkor alone, there's so many to choose from...

Nikkor AF-S 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED DX
Nikkor AF-S 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED DX
Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G ED N
Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm f/4 G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8 D IF-ED
Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 G IF-ED DX
Nikkor AF 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D ED

How to decide? and why are you letting other people tell you what to buy? It's your money...

Thanks Rashkae! :thumbsup:

I cannot decide between Tokina 11-16mm and Nikon 10-24mm.

What would the seniors recommend? Both lens is within my budget and the reviews are also commented positively on both lenses.

Should go and test out myself on the physical item?

I cannot decide between Tokina 11-16mm and Nikon 10-24mm.

What would the seniors recommend? Both lens is within my budget and the reviews are also commented positively on both lenses.

Should go and test out myself on the physical item?

Go to the store to test them out. Better yet, if you can borrow/rent a copy to test it out in real-world settings, do so.

OKay! Will try out myself and see how it goes!

Thank you people!:thumbsup:

To be honest, it seems that the reviews commentation for Toki is better then Nikkor's.

Last edited:
some reasons i can think of for there a price difference are :
1. 1 is made by tokina, 1 is by nikon
2. 1 uses tokina technology and the other uses nikon technology
3. 1 is a third party lens and the other is a first party lens
4. 1 optical elements are make to tokina's spec and the other is by Nikon.

So is the above difference enough? and of cos, there is the difference in the range of focal length. 1 is more, 1 is less and the aperture is also different as well....

some reasons i can think of for there a price difference are :
1. 1 is made by tokina, 1 is by nikon
2. 1 uses tokina technology and the other uses nikon technology
3. 1 is a third party lens and the other is a first party lens
4. 1 optical elements are make to tokina's spec and the other is by Nikon.

So is the above difference enough? and of cos, there is the difference in the range of focal length. 1 is more, 1 is less and the aperture is also different as well....

Thank you for you explaination.:thumbsup:

Personally, I felt that the Toki is a better lens and the price is $300 cheaper than Nikkor's.

What's your opinion these both lenses?:)

Personally, I felt that the Toki is a better lens and the price is $300 cheaper than Nikkor's.

What's your opinion these both lenses?:)

I guess many people went through the same thought process before when choosing a wide angle lens.

If talking about specs alone, Toki seems better, but some say that the flare control with Toki lens is not that good. This you will have to spot it when you rent the lens and test it.

If talking about usability, are you comfortable with the focal length 11-16 or 10-24? Toki's focal length is much restricted, hence if you use it to shoot streetscape, you might face the urge to change into another lens for a longer reach. This is where N10-24 gives the advantage at a slight cost of aperture size.

using sigma HSM OS 10-20... reasonably price compared to nikkor VR

I suppose the popular options for a Nikon DX-specific ultra-wide angle lens are:
(simply grouped by brand, not popularity)

- Tokina 11-16
- Tokina 12-24
- Nikkor 10-24
- Nikkor 12-24
- Tamron 10-24
- Sigma 10-20

I would use the 3 main criteria
1) Price
2) Max aperture
3) Focal range

and narrow down first, then comes the finer details like build quality, flare control, etc.
I like Tokinas for the solid feel. You may not.

Happy choosing! :)

I guess many people went through the same thought process before when choosing a wide angle lens.

If talking about specs alone, Toki seems better, but some say that the flare control with Toki lens is not that good. This you will have to spot it when you rent the lens and test it.

If talking about usability, are you comfortable with the focal length 11-16 or 10-24? Toki's focal length is much restricted, hence if you use it to shoot streetscape, you might face the urge to change into another lens for a longer reach. This is where N10-24 gives the advantage at a slight cost of aperture size.

There is the other side of the coin. Advantages of Toki:

- F2.8, not all UWA is used shooting landscapes on a tripod. One might want to shoot a city scene, or indoors. The Nikon will not fare as well here.

- Although 10-24 is very sharp in the center, it is noticeably weak in the edges in terms of sharpness. It is so weak that you can see the loss of sharpness clearly without pixel peeping. Tokina is sharp throughout the entire frame.

- Price. This is obvious.

- Warranty is longer for Toki if you get a local warranty set.

- Build - Tokina is built much better and more rugged.

- The Toki can be used on a FF camera at 16mm. So if you end up getting a FX camera, you can still mount the Toki and shoot it at 16mm (UWA on FX) with no problems.

For me UWA lens is not only for landscapes, it can be used for indoor with tide room space. So the f2.8 is rather important & useful when I need it.