Please advice..

Status
Not open for further replies.

anmas

Feb 8, 2006
I realised most of the photos taken with my Nikon DSLR camera, I have to go picture project and perform 'enhanced dark tone' and 'auto adjust'. It appears that most of the photo taken have a layer of white flair covering, and not so bright. After performing the 'auto dark tone' and 'auto adjust', the pictures do look much better, more natural, sharper and brighter. Is it because I am not using RAW, but use JPEG instead? Or is it because of lens, camera, filter issue? Or simply photo taking skill issue :(

Sincerely appreciate any genuine advices.. thanks a lot!

I realised most of the photos taken with my Nikon DSLR camera, I have to go picture project and perform 'enhanced dark tone' and 'auto adjust'. It appears that most of the photo taken have a layer of white flair covering, and not so bright. After performing the 'auto dark tone' and 'auto adjust', the pictures do look much better, more natural, sharper and brighter. Is it because I am not using RAW, but use JPEG instead? Or is it because of lens, camera, filter issue? Or simply photo taking skill issue :(

Sincerely appreciate any genuine advices.. thanks a lot!
downsize one original image to show.
anyway, sometime level need to be adjusted at post production, nothing wrong with you exposure or camera.

downsize one original image to show.
anyway, sometime level need to be adjusted at post production, nothing wrong with you exposure or camera.

Thanks a lot for your reply catchlights.

Original
Original.jpg
Edited
DSC_0225edit.jpg

The original is without any touch-up. Have performed 'auto dark tone' and 'auto adjust' using using Nikon picture perfect on the Edited one.. Think the edited one looks better, but is it possible to get the result with any touch-up on the original?

Thanks a lot for your reply catchlights.

Original
Original.jpg
Edited
DSC_0225edit.jpg

The original is without any touch-up. Have performed 'auto dark tone' and 'auto adjust' using using Nikon picture perfect on the Edited one.. Think the edited one looks better, but is it possible to get the result with any touch-up on the original?
Some nikon dslr allow you to upload custom curve to the camera. It might help to certain level to avoid you to post processing.

Do search on nikon forum for custom curve. There are plenty of information.

Regards,
Arto.

It's normal. Every digital cameras wont give you the perfect color. They will normally give out some color cast. So have to do color correction, no choice

the sample pix you post, only need some simple level adjustment, just bring out the white point and black point will do. there is nothing wrong with your camera or your exposure.

a custom curve will help, and you may try out different type of custom curves to see which one suit your shooting style.

hope this help.

Thanks a lot catchlights, hirowen & artosoft.. feel much better now knowing my camera is functioning normally.

hirowen: is it only happen in digital cameras, or it can happen for any kind of SLR film camera?

Don't know what is custom curve, will find out more :)

I have never take pics in RAW before.. will taking pics in RAW produce better results than JPEG?

Yes. Currently, our technology of digital camera still have color cast, just that how bad only.

RAW will benefits you if you are going to edit your picture in the later stage. It is because raw files does not discard any info before saving, whereas jpg is a compressed image as unwanted info will be discard away before saving so as to save space.

So if you practice true photography, jpg is already sufficient. I dont think raw produce better quality than jpg before editing.

Thanks a lot catchlights, hirowen & artosoft.. feel much better now knowing my camera is functioning normally.

hirowen: is it only happen in digital cameras, or it can happen for any kind of SLR film camera?

Don't know what is custom curve, will find out more :)

I have never take pics in RAW before.. will taking pics in RAW produce better results than JPEG?
when we shoot film, if it is on negative, the density and color correction or enhancement will be done during printing, since the film is in negative image, we do not know how bad the original exposure and color is.

if shots are done on transparency film aka slide film, most film are more saturated and vibrant in color then photo prints, so it looks far better, if your exposure is accurate.

just goolge "Nikon, custom curve" you may able to find lots of info.

shooting RAW you will need lot of resources, even the straight conversion of jpg from RAW at the post production, the quality are far better than the jpg produce from the camera.

however, this is really up to individual, ones may not have the time to do the post production, like I'm still shooting jpg for most of the time, as I need to give my clients the images right after the sessions.

Thanks catchlights & hirowen again... I've learned more :)

Status
Not open for further replies.