playing the bass

junh87

Dec 21, 2009
5836131601_002012f9ae_z.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
B&W post processing. issit too dark? esp the eyes.
hows this for a concert ?
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
gaining exposure for concert photography
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
a concert rehearsal
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
after the processing, i got quite excited with the way the photo turned out.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
B&W post processing. issit too dark? esp the eyes.
hows this for a concert ?
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
gaining exposure for concert photography
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
a concert rehearsal
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
after the processing, i got quite excited with the way the photo turned out.

I am not expert and I will just comment based on my humble opinion...

1. The face is a bit dark, its better if the eyes is more visible. Another is the bow stick (correct me if im wrong) that it looks distracting, i think it overpowers the subject.

hmm, the face is definitely underexposed.. maybe lighting up at least the eyes would make the photo more interesting. but still, i like the detail and focus on the violin head :) great lighting/shadow balance there imo

I thought the title is "playing the bass", how come got 'violin head' ? :)

TS, I like the mood of your shot, though I think the musician should be lit a little more. The eyes fall into shadow, and so it feels 'lifeless' somehow...

my 2c.

thanks all for viewing n CnC!!

well, the title is right. its not a violin, its a double bass! a giant cello that stands on the ground.

i think the lighting of the face part is right, shall retouch this part.

regarding the bow stick, that is a flute in the row infront of her. so it crosses the path of the instrument, not the bow.

Last edited:
I like how the lighting creates the mood in the photo. Pity that the bass player's face is partially obscured though. Good shot!

i would have preferred the lit side of her face to be better lit. also, it doesn't tell the viewers much. if you want the viewers to know it's a cello, include it in the picture.

Hello junh87.

The good points
As one of the largest instruments in the orchestra, it is probably not possible to capture the whole body in the way you want to shoot it. What you have shown - the neck, head and scroll of the double bass is classic and in my opinion, has already delivered a message related to the instrument.
I like the way you have positioned the neck of the bass, a little slanted, the way it should be held. And your low-key approach means that as a viewer, I would only need to direct my attention to two parts - the player's face and the neck board of the string.

The slightly less good points
It's about exposure. In order for my attention to be drawn to the face and the strings, do give these two elements a bit of a dodge in photoshop, or increase the exposure slightly - perhaps by another 1 stop. I think that will make it just nice.
You could possibly darken the out-of-focussed flutes in the foreground with bit of burning in photoshop so that they would be less of a distraction.

These are but my humble opinion.
Otherwise I must say I quite like the feel of this low-key shot in monochrome.
Thank you for sharing.

Hey hi,

I think if I could see slightly more surface of the picture. I will have love it :)

Cheers!